Duke

Re: Prodigal Skill Use

Post by Lago_AM3P »

No.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Why not? Just curious, as it doesn't seem too bad to me. Maybe not good for the sacred fist archetype, but it seems decent.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Why not? Just curious, as it doesn't seem too bad to me. Maybe not good for the sacred fist archetype, but it seems decent.

The OA Shaman is basically pretty suck. He gets some unarmed combat abilities, but the crap armor and BAB mean that he'll probably never have any use for them. He never does any reasonable unarmed damage, and he'll never be able to really hurt anyone with his unarmed attacks anyway thanks to the marvels of DR.

The Shaman can end up as a reasonable front liner, but only by the expedient of using the hero domain and fighting with an enchanted iron pole (which can be moderately impressive).

But at that point, you are really just being a Cleric/Warrior type who can't wear as good armor and has worse hit points. The Shaman doesn't really have anything to synergize with his improved unarmed strike, so it's just a puzzling ability in a sea of other puzzling abilities.

-Username17
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

FrankTrollman wrote:He never does any reasonable unarmed damage...

According to the update in Dragon, they now do 1d6 till 5th, then progress 1d8, 1d10, 2d6.

The reasons I brought it up are: it's a little bit better than the plain old 1d3 Lago's cleric would have with IUS, it doesn't give up spell progression, and it's "Official" (for his stickler DM).
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Note: that is not reasonable damage. It's less damage than you would dish out simply using simple weapons appropriate to your level.

-Username17
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

True.

It was just my best shot at making Lago's concept viable using the existing rules.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.