New Frank & K Tome pdf

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Sent you changes.diff via email.

Updated the address to reflect the board's new location, and updated the version to "0.5.1."

Question: I see no TeX reason for the large spaces in the community skill feats section, but they're there anyway, so that was the only big thing I didn't fix. There are I am sure many more edits that I missed (but I'll keep working on it.)

Question 2: How, if shadowwarrior is in the makefile, does it manage not to appear in the compiled version?

EDIT: Answered. And added to my copy of entire.tex. Dunno how you feel about it. I personally use it and would like to have it in the same formatting as the rest of the book, in the same place as all the other Tome resources.

Should we switch to Subversion to track the trees? :P
Last edited by Aktariel on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

The large spaces there are extremely annoying, and result entirely from the Animal Affinity feat's animal summoning list being too long and it wanting to put them all on one page. I've looked for and attempted a number of fixes, but none of them work with multicols. I'm thinking the next thing I'll try is putting them in a sidebar or something.

edit: That's the biggest offender, but there are other large spaces too that are annoying the hell out of me because I have no idea why they're there. I actually wonder if I just fix Animal Affinity, the other problems won't go away...guess we'll see.

Anyway, I got your email. Checking it all out etc.
Last edited by Surgo on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

I added the Shadow Warrior, and all of the large spaces went away (well, mostly. They're down to less than 3/4 an inch, anyway.)

Hope I helped.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I don't see the shadow warrior in this diff (you ran with the -N option, right?).

Can you send me another with that change (and any others) added as well?
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

You're right; it wasn't in that diff. It's on the way to your inbox now.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Well, it's all packed up and ready to go (0.5.1) but does anyone have other stuff they'd like to see put in the PDF?

I'd actually be interested in including some of the weapons in Koumei's thread eventually. The good & inspired ones though, not the more retarded ones.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

It's hard to keep track of what, exactly, has already gone in.

I'd like to nominate my Spirit Ranger for incluson, but it's not quite polished yet; I'm not sure when you imagined finishing up version 0.5, but if its not for a few days I can try to get a final-ish version ready..
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Version 0.5 is already "finished," version 0.5.1 is basically naught but edits, with a possible Shadow Warrior inclusion?

The only community things that have gone in so far are The Spherelock, Iameki's Kantian Paladin, Cielingcat's Shadow Warrior, and the community Skill feats.

EDIT: Morgon, should I just keep sending you a diff file every so often with my new edits? (usually just formatting errors and the like)
Last edited by Aktariel on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Certainly. Just keep sending them and I'll keep patching them in.

If possible it shouldn't be a cumulative diff though; it should be a diff since your last bunch of edits. It's cool either way though (I can unpatch the last diff easily).
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Not hard at all; just depends on how far back I think I should keep records.

I might just wind up keeping two versions, since these are "corrections" as opposed to "revisions." I'll send you my latest diff, which is unfortunately cumulative, but after that, they'll all be "updates" as it were.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

If you use a revision control system like Mercurial (which also happens to be easy to use), it's easy to make diffs between different revisions.

Just noting it because I saw that you mentioned subversion in an earlier post. Mercurial is what I use.
the_unthinkable
1st Level

Post by the_unthinkable »

Have you guys put v. 0.5 or 0.5.1 up? If you have where is it 'cause it's not in the first post.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Haven't put it up yet, will do so shortly. I just finished adding the Adept NPC class that appeared in another thread. I'll put it up soon unless Boolean wants me to put in the spirit ranger, in which case I'll wait until he has a good version ready for inclusion.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I'm about to get on a plane ot school, at which point I will be rather busy, so chances are there won't be a useable version of Spirit Ranger until next weekend; if people like it enough to wait for it, then I shall endeavor to have it ready... but I've been waiting a *long* time for 0.5 and I know others are too.

So, unless someone *other* than me asks you to hold off, I say post what you have.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I could have sworn I uploaded 0.5 here already...

In any case, here's 0.5.1:
The PDF.
The sources.

edit: Sorry, here are the changes that were made:
Version 0.5.1:
* A number of typo fixes and formatting fixes by Aktariel
* Shadow Warrior class added.
* Adept NPC class added.
* Made the Warrior NPC class not use a floating table, which looked fucking awful.
Last edited by Surgo on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Awesomely awesome.

However, it looks like the special materials from the Tome of Necromancy still got left out.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Again? Argh what the hell, I could have sworn I included them.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Nope. No sign. Not even in the TeX files.

Maybe for version 0.5.2, in a week or so when Boolean's Spirit Ranger is finished and I throw even more formatting corrections your way (it's slowed down a little since things got busy at Uni.)
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

LOL! I had written flavor - and also class skills - for the shadow warrior here, with Cielingcat's permission; whether you guys would have the chutzpah to include it's another story ... if not, I already had thought an alternative with FASA games references ...

That quote definitely stays, of course. As for the other stuff, my suggestions would vary depending on how much silliness would be accepted. Sneak peek: "Alignment: As every other dark character, shadow warriors are totally emo misfits, and thus often Chaotic Good (despite not needing scimitars)." Yes, I can write serious stuff too ...

Thanks as always, guys.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Talk to Surgo about his ball size; I'm just an OCD guy who throws corrections his way every so often.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about the flavor. It fits in alright with the rest of F&K stuff, but I hand this out to my friends and while we're all mature people... some of them might take it the wrong way. *shrugs* I don't think in all honesty it really matters; the whole book is about crunch, not fluff. At least, not much.

The class skills seem fine.

EDIT: Surgo, what about adding some of the monster prestige classes Frank created over in this thread ?
Last edited by Aktariel on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Those PrCs aren't even 3.5, much less Tome.

Other stuff: it might (or not) be desirable to rename the bookmark and class title to "Spherelock", Cielingcat isn't credited for the shadow warrior, and the marshal still has the iterative BAB error.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Ooops. Thanks for the heads up, Biogode, on all counts.

Surgo: I have gone through Chapter One line by line, and emailed you the diff. (Well, within fifteen minutes of this post, anyway.) I think I've managed to find all the formatting and correction errors, to my satisfaction anyway. The one thing I did take out that I'm not sure about is the "Preview" from the Feytouched - since F&K aren't going to be putting any new material out, I think it can stand on its own.

EDIT: Two more things. One, where is a good place to learn about Mercurial (I have a copy, I'm just not sure how to use it), and two, what did you have in mind for a "printable" edition? - I know that when I print copies, the things I notice are the hyperlinks. Also.. how easy is it to include some art?

EDIT2: I realized that in order to affect the TOC, I had to make changes to the relevant subsections, so more than Chapter One got edited.
Last edited by Aktariel on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Glad to be of service. The "Preview" might as well GTFO - also ...
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

I have a formatting question to ask the members of this board. Which would you prefer: Weapon Proficiencies listed like this:

"Fighters are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. Fighters are proficient with light, medium, and heavy armor and with shields and great shields."

or like this:

"Fighters are proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons. Fighters are proficient with Light, Medium, and Heavy Armor and with Shields and Great Shields."

Which is easier to read? Which do people like more? Frank and K have done it both ways in terms of formatting on the base classes; the PHB does it the first way, and here I am just trying to unify the formatting.

Does anyone have any feedback? Does anyone really care one way or another? At all? Should I leave it mixed?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I somewhat prefer the second method, it's a bit easier to pick things out with a quick skim.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.