New Frank & K Tome pdf

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I was at my girlfriend's house for 3 days without internet access, so I wasn't here to check this thread / my email.

My bad about the marshal iterative BAB error STILL existing...grr...

Thanks a ton for all your help, Aktariel! I've been correcting formatting (italics bold etc) problems as I've found them.

As for your flavor for the Shadow Warrior, Bigode, I hadn't seen it before now.

Aktariel: I'll get back to you on the other things later tonight. Gotta run out now!
Last edited by Surgo on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Finally looked at the Necromantic materials. Which, for those of you who missed:

Boneblades: Boneblades are alchemically and necromantically hardened blades made from the bones of intelligent creatures, and the material can only be created by craftsmen with the Boneblade Master feat. For an unknown reason, they only retain their special properties if they are made into light slashing or piercing weapons. Boneblades used in melee combat ignore the damage reduction of any undead creature and can hit incorporeal creatures as if they were magic weapons with the ghost touch property..
Boneblades made from dragon bones can be combined with the Dragoncrafter feat to produce items with both properties.
Cost: 1,000 gp per lb.

Blood steel: Blood steel is steel that has been mixed with the blood of certain powerful creatures, making it redder than normal steel and with unusual properties. Weapons made of blood steel do 2 additional points of damage on a successful hit and any armor made of blood steel has an armor bonus two higher. These effects only manifest if the blood steel is allowed to hungrily latch onto its user's flesh, at which point it reduces the bearer’s Constitution by two points. Treat blood steel as normal steel for creatures with no Constitution or creatures protected from this effect.
Cost: 2,000 gp for a weapon, 1,000 gp for armor or shield.

Black steel: Black steel is steel that has been mixed with necromantically charged obsidian, making it as sharp as adamantine and as dangerous as obsidian. Weapons made of black steel count as adamantine for all effects, but perform as if enhanced with the Ghost Touch and Wounding properties (without additional cost). Characters using items made of Black steel suffer one point of Wisdom drain for every day they are held, worn or carried.
Cost: 15,000 gp for a weapon, 24,000 gp for light armor, 28,000 gp for medium armor, 32,000 gp for heavy armor.

Tainted obsidian: While normal obsidian often has interesting necromantic properties, tainted obsidian is an actual source of necromantic energy. When a magic item has is made of tainted obsidian, it can provide uses or charges of its Necromancy effects in exchange for doing wisdom drain.
Cost: +10,000.

Obviously, none of this stuff works with the Races of War armors. Anyone want to try their hand at making a few new armors to go with this stuff?
Aktariel wrote:EDIT: Two more things. One, where is a good place to learn about Mercurial (I have a copy, I'm just not sure how to use it), and two, what did you have in mind for a "printable" edition? - I know that when I print copies, the things I notice are the hyperlinks. Also.. how easy is it to include some art?
Mercurial's website has a lot of good documentation. The quick start is excellent and lives up to its name (its a really quick start!), and after that the tutorial is both a short and good read. The actual manual is here.

You actually see differently-colored hyperlinks when you print? Hrm. We should be able to make them look like normal text without a problem.

As for art, I don't see why it would be difficult.

edit: and here's a copy of my repository, no need to run "hg init" or anything, it's all set up already (type "hg log" while at the directory it unzips to if you want to check):
http://turing.bard.edu/~mk561/frank_k_pdf_repo.tar.gz
Last edited by Surgo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Aside from the special materials, what has not yet made its way from the Tome threads into the PDF yet?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

The racial scaling feats (bloodline?) Koumei and I started.
But I consider them a flop, for now at least.
Many alternatives were tried but it didn't seem to work other than limiting a character to just 1 of them.
Do what you will with them.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
the_unthinkable
1st Level

Post by the_unthinkable »

Surgo wrote:Boneblades: Boneblades are alchemically and necromantically hardened blades made from the bones of intelligent creatures, and the material can only be created by craftsmen with the Boneblade Master feat. For an unknown reason, they only retain their special properties if they are made into light slashing or piercing weapons. Boneblades used in melee combat ignore the damage reduction of any undead creature and can hit incorporeal creatures as if they were magic weapons with the ghost touch property..
Boneblades made from dragon bones can be combined with the Dragoncrafter feat to produce items with both properties.
Cost: 1,000 gp per lb.
Dragon bones? The Dragoncrafter feat? Where do I find these things?
Surgo wrote:Obviously, none of this stuff works with the Races of War armors. Anyone want to try their hand at making a few new armors to go with this stuff?
I think that would be cool, but I've got no ideas. I hope you guys here do.
Last edited by the_unthinkable on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

I'm pretty sure that the rules for crafting dragon items and the feat to "allow" you to do so are in the Draconomicon.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

There's also some cool stuff in a Dragon issue.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Which issue is that? Number, I mean?
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Question.

Can we come up with a name for this material, specifically this book, that's not "F&K material" or "that RoW+" stuff? Just to have a nice succinct title.

Codex of Power? Codex of Martial Power? Codex of Shit That Doesn't Suck?
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Aktariel wrote:Question.

Can we come up with a name for this material, specifically this book, that's not "F&K material" or "that RoW+" stuff? Just to have a nice succinct title.

Codex of Power? Codex of Martial Power? Codex of Shit That Doesn't Suck?
"Stabbing Suck in the Face?"

Edit:

The Tomes of Making 3.5 Awesome?

The Way It Ought To Be?
Last edited by Maxus on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_unthinkable
1st Level

Post by the_unthinkable »

Aktariel wrote:Which issue is that? Number, I mean?
It's Dragon Issue #332.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

don't a lot of people refer to it as the "Tome" stuff? although I like "Codex of Stabbing Suck in the Face" or maybe the "Codex: Frank and K."

meh.

edit: oh, I have that issue of dragon if anyone wants to know what you can do, I also have AEG's Dragons book which has some "dragon corpse" items. Neither of which have that great of options though... we could, and, I think, should, do our own Tome level stuff.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I don't like the word Codex. Brings bad memories of overpriced imported eurogaming 'supplement books'.
I just say "Tome" in a general sense, or more respectfully when credit is due "F and K".
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Funny thing is, that's why I used "Codex"... Though I do kindof agree we need a different name for this thing, as I don't like calling it tome on MW, because most people are going to think "of Magic" and "of Battle".
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Codex, Tome, Libram, Text, Scroll, Book, whatever....
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

"Book of (Generating) Game Balance"?

Since that's the goal, right? To keep stupid shit from dominating (scry/die; poly abuse; wish abuse; etc.) and to level the playing field.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Or just "The Book of Balance."

The problem with giving it one name is that what gets included? I mean, is the community stuff a portion of that?

Who has the power to say what gets included under that aegis?
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

The problem with giving it one name is that what gets included? I mean, is the community stuff a portion of that?

Who has the power to say what gets included under that aegis?
Well, ultimately, the person putting together the document has that power. Of course, it's open source, so anyone could put out their own version, or write up their own prestige class or whatever.

Also, Surgo, the link to the hypertext version d20ragon.com is now outdated.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Ah yeah, there's a new Frank&K "srd". I'll fix the link.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

Actually, there's an even NEWER link, found here:

http://www.we-live.to/playonline/frank/

Sorry for changing it up so much, and not posting this earlier. This one SHOULD be permanent, I hope. I've just been having problems with stable, trustworthy hosting for all my stuff (the first host I had was free, but extremely poor. the second was from my at the time girlfriend, and I'm sure you can see why that was a bad idea. this one is now from a more neutral party).
Last edited by DragonChild on Wed May 07, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Nothing online lasts forever but that is a nice site. Thanks!
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

If you ever need webhosting again that's stable for the F&K SRD, I can provide.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Heh, live & learn, DC.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I am now hosting the F&K pdf, after my group got fed up with trying to track down the most recent version without having been to these forums.

For all who are interested:
http://suntzuwarmaster.110mb.com/
http://suntzuwarmaster.110mb.com/frank_ ... te_0.4.pdf

I also have the best character sheet that I've found so far up over there.