New Frank & K Tome pdf

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: New Frank & K Tome pdf

Post by Koumei »

Bah, if WotC stole it, it'd simply mean they actually released something balanced and useful for once.

Granted, there'd be a lot of "BAWWWWWWWWW" on the boards as people declare everything too powerful, but that'd just be a side-benefit.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

There are many licenses which aren't public domain and yet allow de facto free distribution.

How about Creative Commons?

-Crissa
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Yeah, there are. GFDL minus the clauses, Creative Commons, whatever the hell recent version of the Artistic License...

But why? Frank already stated his works are in the public domain. I see absolutely no reason to add a license to the distribution of the typesetting itself where one is not needed.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Eh in retrospect, I'm not really too concerned about WOTC idea theft, since browsing my 100+ PDF folder recently.
(And I won't mention what the PDFs are of. Or how I got them.)
Maybe I've taken enough from the megacorp as it is. heh

Agreed, no license needed. Until the lawyers come a-knockin, don't bother.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Version 0.5 is about ready to go up, with the following additions/changes:

Version 0.5:
* Fixed a number of typos.
* Made "Beating Back Chaos" into a subsection as it should be.
* Added the Marshal class for real this time.
* Added the Kantian paladin by Iaimeki.
* Added the Shadow Warrior by Cielingcat, partially (it needs finishing by Cielingcat before it really gets put in).
* Added the well-loved "High adventure in the lower planes" bits from the Tome of Fiends.
* Added a Makefile.
* Added the "To Rule in Hell", "Wondrous Architecture of the Lower Planes" and "Rulership of the Lower Planes" sections of the Tome of Fiends.
* Added the \business command (required for "Rulership of the Lower Planes").
* Added the \third command.
* Added the Elothar Warrior of Bladereach prestige class.
* Added the Genie base class.
* Renamed the "Fiendish Base Classes" section to "Monster Base Classes".

I can add more in if requested before I put this online. The reason for the delay right now is because I'm trying to figure out why the skill feats in the community section have that annoying extra line break between the feat and the description, while the BAB feats and the Mounted Combat feat do not. Efforts to fix thus far have broken the Mounted Combat feat instead.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

What else from the source material that you know of is not yet in the pdf?

Also, did you add in the Necromantic Materials section?
<something clever>
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I'm not sure; if I find that something is missing, I generally add it in right away.

I can't find Necromantic Materials, so I guess I'll add that in too.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Three more nitpicks:

fire mage, warlock have incorrect 15th level BAB (should be 11/6/6, not 11/6/1)

p175 the word "level" is missing from "odd numbered..." at the very last line of the page.

p109 Thief of Soul's Steal Magical Essence class ability should read "extract one spell from the soul that it had prepared at the time of its death (his choice)." (Remove the was)

Hope that helps and I will keep proofreading.
<something clever>
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Oops! Fixed.

p175 the word "level" is missing from "odd numbered..." at the very last line of the page.

Fixed.

p109 Thief of Soul's Steal Magical Essence class ability should read "extract one spell from the soul that it had prepared at the time of its death (his choice)." (Remove the was)

Fixed.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Surgo at [unixtime wrote:1200700810[/unixtime]]

Oops! Fixed.

I don't think that's a mistake. Frank an K determined that attacking at 10 points less than your highest attack was stupid, so they changed the rule, stating that iterative attacks are performed at a -5 penalty from the highest, not the most recent as that would mean any attacks gained after Lvl11 are off the RNG and never hit anything.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I know. It was listed as 11/6/1 originally and not 11/6/6, so it was a mistake.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

The following stuff was also completed:

Puppeteer
Genkotsuken
Half-dragon

EDIT: a likely important clarification's that the right genkotsuken's the last one. Also, it just crossed my mind that the author doesn't hang out here, so permission might be tricky.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Here's the NPC class(es) that caught my eye, such as NPC Battle Wizard by AlphaNerd:

http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-viewth ... &postnum=0
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Any idea on when the next edition is coming out? Really looking forward to it.

<something clever>
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I dug up the documentation for multicols about an hour ago, I'm gonna see about fixing this newline problem in the skill feats tonight or tomorrow. It's coming out as soon as I can do that.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

some stuff I worked up at various points, though not all of it's finished...

Hellrider (Ghost Rider)
Couple feats, Acquire Familiar, Sacrificial Mastery(unfinished))
Feats created by Koumei, they're good, make sure you get them, especially "Eleven Testicles"
Brb PrCs updated for tome, first one is still in progress.

and also, if you want it, a refinement of my last post in the feats thread:

Haha, Your Pet Died
The Joke D&D Tells to People Who Just Lost Their Closest Companion
D&D mandates that if you've lost your familiar you must lose a load of XP and spend a year and a day in mourning. This is a Joke, people, just like material components, and it's not funny. It is a reference to occult stupidity and their obsession with this "magical" length of time. It's also a reference to Wicca. This makes us cry because it is rule enforced RP-ing, and takes away a reasonably beneficial class ability. There's also the xp loss, which is really just wizards kicking you in the balls while you're already rolling around on the ground.
So here's what we're going to do. If your familiar dies, you can go out and get a new one that next instant, in fact, you can go do that while your familiar is still alive, you just can't have more than your normal number of familiars, and your old familiar retains many of it's abilities, enough to probably be very pissed off at you.
If, however, you want to roleplay your character's period of mourning, or whatever else would make them wait, you can choose a [Magic] feat to have in place of a familiar until you obtain a new familiar.
About the XP penalty, forget it, I see no reason to kick a grown man in the balls after he's just lost a very close companion. Unless I'm already trying to stab said man in the face, but then I'll just literally kick him in the balls.

oh, and because I keep forgetting to use it just because
[marquee]marquee![/marquee]
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Just so you all know, I'm not dead. I'm trying to figure out this weird extra spacing on the BAB/skill feats. And this is really weird. In the original section, all the spacing works out fine. In the new section, it has the annoying extra space (where the \\ is, of course). As far as I can tell there's no difference in settings or options between the two sections...
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak: My ego is suffieciently large that I think it's awesome that you like my feats, however I have to say, I'm not entirely happy with either of the natural weapon ones.

They were both designed not for monsters (as it's a direct power up, and monsters are the balance point), but for players with natural weapons who are therefore falling behind players with magic swords.

As it stands, there's nothing really stopping an Ancient Red Dragon from taking one (or, if both are used, both of them), and I'm not sure of the ideal way to balance them and make them work.

The others, however, I still like.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the easiest way to handle it is just say that monsters don't RoW feats.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I didn't get everything in, but I did fix part one of the spacing problem at least. Here's 0.5:

http://turing.bard.edu/~mk561/frank_k_0 ... br]Version 0.5:
* Fixed a number of typos.
* Made "Beating Back Chaos" into a subsection as it should be.
* Added the Marshal class for real this time.
* Added the Kantian paladin by Iaimeki.
* Added the Shadow Warrior by Cielingcat, partially (it needs finishing by Cielingcat before it really gets put in).
* Added the well-loved "High adventure in the lower planes" bits from the Tome of Fiends.
* Added a Makefile.
* Added the "To Rule in Hell", "Wondrous Architecture of the Lower Planes" and "Rulership of the Lower Planes" sections of the Tome of Fiends.
* Added the \business command (required for "Rulership of the Lower Planes").
* Added the \third command.
* Added the Elothar Warrior of Bladereach prestige class.
* Added the Genie base class.
* Renamed the "Fiendish Base Classes" section to "Monster Base Classes".
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

You're actually adding these right into the pdf proper, right? Any chance you can make an appendix off the newer stuff so that one doesn't have to print out a whole new binder?

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

So, I guess no NPC classes then...
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Yeah, they all went into the pdf proper. I don't know about another appendix, but I can at least tell you what pages are new pages so you can print and put them in the right spot.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Would it be easy to arrange for a copy of each new version with the changes picked out in red, or something? (I know nothing about LaTeX, or whatever)
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Do you want all of the text to be red, or just the titles, or what exactly?