Nature's FAvor - what am I missing?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Nature's FAvor - what am I missing?

Post by Username17 »

da_chicken at [unixtime wrote:1085299988[/unixtime]]I'm in a campaign right now with a druid 15/nature's warrior 3.

Last session he did the following:
Wild Shaped into a megaraptor (only have access to MM I, gives pounce and has 4 attacks)
Cast animal growth: +8 Str, +4 Con, -2 Dex, +2 natural armor, DR 10/magic but -1 to hit and AC, size goes to Gargantuan, reach goes to 15'
Cast magic fang x4: +4 to-hit & damage
Cast nature's favor: +8 to hit and damage

Also had stoneskin and barkskin. And some reistance thing.

Next level he gets nature's avatar, which gives him another +10 to hit and damage, haste, and 17d8 temporary hit points.

Just be glad he didn't do something really broken - like never take a Prestige Class at all. If he had just taken Druid levels:

* His Nature's Favor bonus would be bigger.
* He'd already have Nature's Avatar and be using it.
* He'd then use Elemental Wildshape afterwards.
* He'd have Shapechange and could turn into something really boss after that.

Remember, you're spells don't turn off when the target becomes illegal. It's why the spell Animate Objects works at all, and it's why the Druid can turn into an animal, then buff herself, then turn into an elemental creature and keep all the buffs. Upon Wildshaping into an Elemental he gets all the feats, and then he can Shapechange into some kind of real creature like a Marilith for actual combat.

All the animal buffs, all the elemental feats, and the straight attack and stat line base of the nastiest outsider you can find - all at the same time. Live it, love it, it's exactly what he'll be doing next level.

-Username17
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Since when does Magic Fang stack with itself?
Oberoni
Knight

Post by Oberoni »

Essence at [unixtime wrote:1085544831[/unixtime]]Since when does Magic Fang stack with itself?

Magic Fang only targets one natty weapon, so for a creature that has 4 natty attacks, you need 4 castings.

Greater Magic Fang has an option when cast to let you target all of a creature's natty weaponry at once, but it only grants a +1 enhancement bonus when used in this way.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

That sucks.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1085661828[/unixtime]]That sucks.

???

If it makes you feel any better, it is generally trivial to enchant most creatures all the way. The +1 on every limb option is only good if you are playing with Octopus Fu rather than Wolf Fu - which is entirely defensible.

In that case you really don't have enough GMWs lying around to necessarily enchant every single tentacle, so the option of spending one spell to just make them all magic is good.

-Username17
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Yeah, I knew about the per-limb thing, but da chicken claims above that 4 castings of Magic Fang combine to create a +4 bonus to hit and damage. Which I don't get.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Essence at [unixtime wrote:1085680989[/unixtime]]Yeah, I knew about the per-limb thing, but da chicken claims above that 4 castings of Magic Fang combine to create a +4 bonus to hit and damage. Which I don't get.

The Megaraptor has four attacks. Each GMW grants a +4 bonus (it could be granting a +5 bonus if he'd bothered to use a Karma bead or Ankh) to one attack. Casting it four times gives you a +4 bonus to every attack.

-Username17