Ninja of the Crescent Moon

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Ninja of the Crescent Moon

Post by Lago_AM3P »

I've heard talk that this PrC was very overpowered, but I'm not really seeing it.

Other than giving a rogue who murdered his BAB with two levels of monk the ability to kinda-sorta recoup the loss with flurry, where's the Real Ultimate Power?

Maybe you could swap in a Three-Section Staff instead of a crappy kama or whatever, but I'm really not seeing it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Ninja of the Crescent Moon

Post by Username17 »

As written it had a full BAB progression.

And some people really value a Monk's Belt.

So some people look at a fighter's attack bonus, sneak attack, and a free monk's belt and then they totally jizz all over themselves.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

The PrC was on par with the Thrall and Disciple PrCs.
Two levels for +2 BAB, +3 all saves, +1d6 SAD, and Improved evasion? Sign me up!

The various other abilities may not be high-power in terms of damage output, but having seen them in action they are very nice.
Silencing attack is almost as good as Stunning fist against spellcasters, but is completely irresistable.
Fast sneak and climb are fun, and sometimes actually useful.
Blindsight 60' is an amazing ability. I know you can get it with an item, but think of it at gp saved with no fear of Dispel.
Gaseous form and Ethyl J are a thief's best friends.

Overall, the class was a sneaky Rogue on steroids. None of the personality, but twice the punch. It was definately a PrC worth taking.

Post-errata, its total crap. Good for flavor and not a lot else. For a rogue that really dosen't care about anything besides not being seen, it still might be worthwhile.

-Catharz
Obleo
NPC

Post by Obleo »

I'm playing one of these guys right now, and having a blast. This is pre-errata. I'm a Rogue 7/Fighter 1/NotCM 8, and I love my character. The only drawback is that the campaign is hitting epic, so now I have to go back and take those missed rogue levels to get Epic Dodge and some other nifty feats. :(

Instead of dipping into monk, I opted to just grab the feats and take a level of fighter.

With hide maxed out, Always Sneaky is great to get some SA dice in (though I don't have it yet), and if my character is seen, I'm usually able to tumble in and go melee.

I thought about taking the two levels of monk, but decided my BAB and hit points were crippled enough, so I took a fighter level instead, and sucked up the lost saves and 2 skill points. Probably not the greatest choice, but it could be worse. And I didn't fall a level behind in my SA (not yet at least), because I got access to the class a level earlier thanks to the fighter's BAB.

Oh damn it, I think I jizzed all over myself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Heh.

Yeah, that's about what you get with the class. Always Sneaky is a crappy and higher level version of Skill Mastery, but it comes with a better BAB, so what do you want?

The class can be fun to play and fun to play along side, but I wouldn't call it "overpowered" under any circumstances.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Take two levels of yakuza (oriental adventures; still works with the "official revised version" printed in Dragon)to meet Epic Dodge and Self-Concealment pre-reqs.
Obleo
NPC

Post by Obleo »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1085559697[/unixtime]]Take two levels of yakuza (oriental adventures; still works with the "official revised version" printed in Dragon)to meet Epic Dodge and Self-Concealment pre-reqs.

Cool, I was looking for a PrC that would do exactly that without having to go another 3 levels in rogue to get a bonus rogue skill.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You probably want to take level 8 of Rogue by level 20 if you are going Epic, taking level 9 and level 10 of straight Rogue as your first Epic levels is good policy normally - the bonus feat isn't limited to any particular list.

Now, even if your DM won't go with what that literally means, you can still go all crazy with the Epic Feats at that point.

You're getting Sneak Attack and an Epic Feat in two levels, which beats the crap out of Epic Fighter. Further, level 8 comes with a Base Attack Bonus.

-Username17