Spells that fvcking kill people.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Re: Spells that fvcking kill people.

Post by JonSetanta »

Stop right there. Surgo, are you whining in defense of spells in non-core referencing material in general, or just in this thread specifically?
I seriously hope you haven't underestimated me to this degree.

So in conclusion have an example of what should not be done:

Tome of Fiends at [unixtime wrote:1149050648[/unixtime]]
Carnage
Special: All of your damaging spell-like abilities do vile damage.
Level, Benefits
1 Seething Eyebane
3 Blade of Fear and Pain
5 Lahm’s Finger Darts
7 Blade Barrier
9 Fleshshiver
11 Disintigrate
13 Flensing
15 Horrid Wilting
17 Mass Harm
19 Implosion

The spells here in bold would, to anyone without the appropriate (read: extraneous library) splat book, remain unknown.
As a reader, the player simply wouldn't have a clue what these mean in intention or purpose without the right book(s).
What could be done is, next to each non-core spell, place a similar spell found in the PHB or SRD.
Doing this would make such game material more accessible to a larger audience.
Moving on now.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Considering how this is in the thread about spells that fvcking kill people (not the thread for the Tome of Necromancy), and your post was in response to someone talking about how they were intrigued by the inclusion of non-core spells in said list of spells that fvcking kill people, and that the Tome of Necromancy was not specifically brought up until Bigode said something about it after the posts in question, it was a pretty safe assumption that this was all talking about the list of spells that fvcking kill people.

If you want to talk Tome of Necromancy though, I fail to see why the end-user could not, if they do not have access to said books, find a spell that was level-appropriate and seemed to cause carnage and substitute that in instead. Pretending that outside material doesn't exist and refusing to use it is every bit as bad as using it occasionally. Worse, I'd say.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

That lpost inside a post thing looks bizarre.

Oh, I just noticed that stupid "Ray of 1d4+1 Int Damage" isn't on here. That'll take out a surprisingly large subset of monsters in one hit (Animals and many Magical Beasts have Int 2).
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Now that is one weird looking post.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Jacob_Orlove at [unixtime wrote:1200687608[/unixtime]]That lpost inside a post thing looks bizarre.

Oh, I just noticed that stupid "Ray of 1d4+1 Int Damage" isn't on here. That'll take out a surprisingly large subset of monsters in one hit (Animals and many Magical Beasts have Int 2).

Isn't it called ray of stupid?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

CatharzGodfoot at [unixtime wrote:1200695991[/unixtime]]
Jacob_Orlove at [unixtime wrote:1200687608[/unixtime]]Oh, I just noticed that stupid "Ray of 1d4+1 Int Damage" isn't on here. That'll take out a surprisingly large subset of monsters in one hit (Animals and many Magical Beasts have Int 2).

Isn't it called ray of stupid?

No it's called a ray of WOTC game design. Those who are hit by it leave combat and start designing 4E. :tongue:

(Those who hit by it twice are given the positon of head of WoTC Customer Management.)
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

In the Tome noncore referencing issue: yeah, I know any GM could insert core material in, but that's an hilarious instance of Oberoni Fallacy; of course, I think just source listing like in this thread would do the trick, no need for anything else.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Except that the Oberoni fallacy is about bad mechanics, not bad indexing/cross referencing.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

A brief definition of it is "there's no problem because the GM can fix it", where the fact that "it" is "a problem" is glossed over. I may be missing some detail, but what I say above's exactly what Surgo said.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

In the case of using material or not using it, every DM who uses the material will be sad if you don't include it and every DM who does not use the material will be sad if you include it.

While it certainly would be possible to rewrite everything so that people who use It's Cold Outside by not BoVD; Spell Compendium but not Complete Arcane 2; or PHB2 but not DMG2 could all automatically have the appropriate material presented for them - that's really hard. And we didn't do it because it's a very large amount of effort for relatively little return.

We mostly ignore the Races of... series and completely ignore the second Complete series. The environmental books get referenced out to It's Wet Outside (but only barely), and I think the only reference to It's Not Outside or It's Crowded Outside is a disdainful offhand joke or two.

BoVD gets referenced but Book of Exalted Deeds material is only brought up as a straw man because that's all it is good for. Heroes of Horror gets props and Champions of Valor does not. Heroes of Battle only gets the briefest nods and it is marked (in the Uttercold Assalt Necromancer as I recall).

---

In short, we very explicitly use the same non-core material that the people who wrote Dungeon Magazine did when it was a magazine. Because that is he closest approximation of "actual play" that we are likely to see.

If you use more or less material than that I'm sure you can figure out how to integrate that. But people turn to the Tomes for ideas on integrating non-core material into the world and the game at least as much as they do for replacing non-core supplements.

-Username17
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

But simply referencing which books they're from would've been enough - anyway, since everything's going to hell now, that hardly matters ...
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Yeah I'd at least like a source notation next to each non-core spell so that when I or another gamer comes across some unusual spell, searches SRD for it only to draw a blank, aren't left pondering "what the hell is this supposed to be?"
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

SERIOUSLY, quit your fucking bitching. Jesus, do we have to do fucking everything for you now?

http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't see it as too far fetched to at least note the source for non-SRD stuff.

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

We also wrote this based on the actual rules, not the SRD. So we talk about Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion and Mind Flayers. Searching the SRD won't always help you, and I don't really care that much because it's written as an adjunct to the rule books.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1200990560[/unixtime]]I don't see it as too far fetched to at least note the source for non-SRD stuff.

-Crissa

Thanks for mentioning. I was beginning to think maybe Bigode and I were crazy for even suggesting.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Yea, it would be nice. But they didn't. Deal with it. If you search the SRD and it ain't in there, search the internets for the book that it is in. If you want it mentioned in the F+K SRD, discuss it in that thread. Offer to help the people that make it.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Is there any particular reason why Slow is not part of this list?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

zugschef wrote:Is there any particular reason why Slow is not part of this list?
Because it doesn't kill people. Most real monsters and characters can respond by still casting spells, so that is not a very impressive kill spell, unlike say Stinking Cloud which stops spellcasting.

At the levels it first comes online, it doesn't even stop any attacks, and melee chargers can just charge you still.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Kaelik wrote:
zugschef wrote:Is there any particular reason why Slow is not part of this list?
Because it doesn't kill people. Most real monsters and characters can respond by still casting spells, so that is not a very impressive kill spell, unlike say Stinking Cloud which stops spellcasting.

At the levels it first comes online, it doesn't even stop any attacks, and melee chargers can just charge you still.
Yeah, forgot about that and it's SR:yes on top. The only thing this spell has got going for it is the target selection, but this is seriously restricted by the short range. Now I actually wonder, why so many people love this spell.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

slow is something you cast to get by when the mc has swamped your beguiler with bugs and undead because he hates you and routinely dicks your illusion spells.
bears fall, everyone dies
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Whipstitch wrote:slow is something you cast to get by when the mc has swamped your beguiler with bugs and undead because he hates you and routinely dicks your illusion spells.
I thought that mindless monsters are totally fvcked when confronted with figments...
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Oh, they definitely should, but a lot of dms will basically rage quit or make some shit up for that not to happen.
bears fall, everyone dies
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Slow is loved because it was the bomb in AD&D. Good range, large area, selectable targets so you could cast it into melee (back when that mattered), and a duration of 3 rounds +1 round/level. And of course, back then enemies just straight up only attacked every other turn while slowed, meaning that you could do bizarre Tekken juggle bullshit. Also, it fucking stacked (somehow, that was not clear in the PHB).

People are simply used to loving the spell because it was so brutally effective in AD&D land. The fact that it's really kind of crap in 3e is one of those things that people just haven't fully adjusted to even now. Like how people still don't fully understand on an intuitive level that Magic Missile is a piece of shit.

-Username17
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

B-b-but Frank, it CAN'T MISS! OF course it's awesome! :sad: