WotC's 'holiday present' the 4e Elf.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Voss
Prince

WotC's 'holiday present' the 4e Elf.

Post by Voss »

Elf

Quick, wary archers who freely roam the forests and wilds.

Racial Traits

Average Height: 5' 7"-6' 0"
Average Weight: 100-130 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Perception

Elven Accuracy
Elf Racial Power

With an instant of focus, you take careful aim at your foe and strike with the legendary accuracy of the elves.

Encounter
Free Action
Personal
Effect: Reroll an attack roll. Use the second roll, even if it's lower.

Elven Weapon Training: You gain proficiency with the longbow and the shortbow.
Wild Step: You ignore difficult terrain when you shift (even if you have a power that allows you to shift multiple squares).
Group Awareness: You grant non-elf allies within 5 squares a +1 racial bonus to Perception checks.
Elven Accuracy: You can use elven accuracy as an encounter power.

Wild and free, elves guard their forested lands using stealth and deadly arrows from the trees. They build their homes in close harmony with the forest, so perfectly joined that travelers often fail to notice that they have entered an elven community until it is too late.

Play an elf if you want …

* to be quick, quiet, and wild;
* to lead your companions through the deep woods and pepper your enemies with arrows;
* to play a ranger, a rogue, or a cleric.

Physical Qualities

Elves are slender, athletic folk about as tall as humans. They have the same range of complexions as humans, tending more toward tan or brown hues. A typical elf's hair color is dark brown, autumn orange, mossy green, or deep gold. Elves' ears are long and pointed, and their eyes are vibrant blue, violet, or green. Elves have little body hair, but males often grow long sideburns. They favor a wild look to their hair, which is often a shaggy mass of braids.

Elves mature at about the same rate as humans but show few effects of age past adulthood. The first sign of an elf's advancing age is typically a change in hair color -- sometimes graying but usually darkening or taking on more autumnal hues. Most elves live to be well over 200 years old and remain vigorous almost to the end.

Playing an Elf

Elves are a people of deeply felt but short-lived passions. They are easily moved to delighted laughter, blinding wrath, or mournful tears. They are inclined to impulsive behavior, and members of other races sometimes see elves as flighty or impetuous, but elves do not shirk responsibility or forget commitments. Thanks in part to their long life span, elves sometimes have difficulty taking certain matters as seriously as other races do, but when genuine threats arise, elves are fierce and reliable allies.

Elves revere the natural world. Their connection to their surroundings enables them to perceive much. They never cut living trees, and when they create permanent communities, they do so by carefully growing or weaving arbors, tree houses, and catwalks from living branches. They prefer the primal power of the natural world to the arcane magic their eladrin cousins employ. Elves love to explore new forests and new lands, and it's not unusual for individuals or small bands to wander hundreds of miles from their homelands.

Elves are loyal and merry friends. They love simple pleasures -- dancing, singing, footraces, and contests of balance and skill -- and rarely see a reason to tie themselves down to dull or disagreeable tasks. Despite how unpleasant war can be, a threat to their homes, families, or friends can make elves grimly serious and prompt them to take up arms.

At the dawn of creation, elves and eladrin were a single race dwelling both in the Feywild and in the world, and passing freely between the two. When the drow rebelled against their kin, under the leadership of the god Lolth, the resulting battles tore the fey kingdoms asunder. Ties between the peoples of the Feywild and the world grew tenuous, and eventually the elves and eladrin grew into two distinct races. Elves are descended from those who lived primarily in the world, and they no longer dream of the Feywild. They love the forests and wilds of the world that they have made their home.

Elf Characteristics: Agile, friendly, intuitive, joyful, perceptive, quick, tempestuous, wild.

Male Names: Adran, Beiro, Carric, Erdan, Gennal, Heian, Lucan, Peren, Rollen, Soveliss, Therren, Varis.

Female Names: Adrie, Birel, Chaedi, Dara, Ennia, Farall, Harrel, Iriann, Lia, Mialee, Shava, Thia, Valenae.

Elf Adventurers

Three sample elf adventurers are described below.

Varis is an elf ranger and a devout worshiper of Melora, the god of the wilds. When a goblin army forced his people from their woodland village, the elves took refuge in the nearest human town, walled and guarded by soldiers. Varis now leads other elves and some human townsfolk in raids against the goblins. Although he maintains a cheerful disposition, he frequently stares into the distance, listening, expecting at any moment to hear signs of approaching foes.

Lia is an elf rogue whose ancestral forest burned to the ground decades ago. Lia grew up on the wasteland's fringes in a large human city, unable to quite fit in. Her dreams called her to the forests, while her waking hours were spent in the dirtiest parts of civilization. She joined a group of adventurers after trying to cut a warlock's purse, and she fell in love with the wide world beyond the city.

Heian is an elf cleric of Sehanine, the god of the moon. The elven settlement where he was born still thrives in a forest untouched by the darkness spreading through the world, but he left home years ago, in search of new horizons and adventures. His travels lately have brought rumors to his ears that danger might be brewing in the ancient forest, and he is torn between a desire to seek his own way in the world and a sense of duty to his homeland.

Well, there you have it. The first unveiling of a full race entry from the 4th Edition Player's Handbook. Oh, what the heck. I'm feeling generous this morning. It must be the season. Here's a racial feat you can peek at, too.

Elven Precision [Elf]

Prerequisites: Elf, elven accuracy racial power, heroic tier
Benefit: When you use the elven accuracy power, you gain a +2 bonus to the new attack roll

So, yeah.
Highlights-
they get a free reroll every encounter.

they move an extra square (7 instead of 6. And yeah, squares all the way down to the bone).

5 foot steps are now 'shifting'. I guess because of the square> 5' thing.

They no longer mature in a stupid way. Hurrah. Fluff that isn't bad. They hit maturity in 20 odd years rather than 100. They are no longer learning disabled as children. Though on the other side of the fluff issue, these fuckers could have been kidnapped right out of Mirkwood. Except for the dreadlocks.

+2 to Dex and Wis. (Oh, and no race with have racial penalties.

They give out a tiny, tiny bonus to perception if you are not an elf, but near one. Because tracking insignificant bonuses is worthwhile!

The feat, like the small number of other feats that have been shown off, really sucks ass. A small bonus to a specific roll IF you use a once per encounter power. Whee.

Oh, yeah. And apparently, the races chapter is pretty much done, and the article itself gives a decent idea of the formatting they are using-
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... ic=true[br]
Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: WotC's 'holiday present' the 4e Elf.

Post by Koumei »

I like the idea of elves all having learning disabilities and orcs actually being fast learners...
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

I think all feats will work like this in 4e. Giving you a reroll or minor bonuses or both.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
K
King

Post by K »

I have yet to understand why 4e is so damned complicated.

Seriously. Its all the badness of card games with none of the fun.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I love auras in computer games.

I ban auras in table top games.

Argh.

-Crissa
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

wrote: I think all feats will work like this in 4e. Giving you a reroll or minor bonuses or both.

You forgot to include Class abilities in that list.

Because, fuck, everyone LOVES saga edition.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Actually I think that a lot of class abilities will simply be totally awesome. As far as I can tell, if you drop an entangle on a group of ogres and none of them can get any attacks in for the next ten combat round you actually just write down an asterix in your action instead of a number and it's counted as if you'd picked a lock, jammed a door, drank a potion or something in that round rather than do something productive like "cast magic missile." So honestly, their playtest system doesn't seem to even rate battlefield control effects as contributions so any that they have now will sail through playtest unmolested.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

So spellcasters, particularly wizards, are going to be totally awesome because the magic types tend to be the ones with battlefield control?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I don't know if the MVP will be specifically the Wizard. The new spellcasting mechanics no longer anally rape Warlocks and it's entirely possible that they'll end up being the masters of clouds and tentacles. Or maybe the ultimate answer will be Druidic thorn walls. Or whatever. The point is that in the analysis:
3, repeated) Repeat for each encounter: You’re going to give us a numeric summary of your “output.” Note what your damage output was per round. Just write down the number.
• If you missed, put down a "0."
• If you didn't attack, put down an "X."
• If you attack when it's not your turn (like an oppo attack), put the damage in parentheses, and put a zero in parentheses if you miss during an oppo or something like that.
• If you got KOed or killed, put down a "—."
• And if you attack multiple targets in the same round (with an area attack or by [Go Bears!], for example), use slashes to separate the output.
• If you used any [Van Halen Rules!] or [Hi Mom!], write that the end of the string.
Then if your attacks do a very small amount of damage but delay opponents a lot (such as casting briar web), then you're actually contributing the most, but your "numeric output" is pitiful.

This is an obvious structural problem with their testing mechanics. It's not building up from win/loss questions into an overall balance assessment, it's basically just measuring one variable and acting like it means something. According to that rubric, casting mass blink would count as a negative action because it reduces your party's melee damage by 20% and doesn't involve attacking that round. The fact that it also reduces enemy damage output by 50% and thus pays off in about one round isn't even considered.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1198219714[/unixtime]]I like the idea of elves all having learning disabilities and orcs actually being fast learners...

Fuckin seconded
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

josephbt at [unixtime wrote:1198226958[/unixtime]]I think all feats will work like this in 4e. Giving you a reroll or minor bonuses or both.

Yep. I've seen one passable feat, and then the class training feat: Accumulate a giant pile of per encounter abilities from various classes, and never worry about attacking with just a 'normal' attack again.

Control, double damage (and hand out some bonuses), etc.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

This is about the worst news for 4E I've seen in awhile. If they're keeping with the lame bonus accumulation and tracking of minor pointless bonuses, this game is going to suck, and bad.

I love the awesome racial feat too. It's actually worse than weapon focus. A +2 that you get once per encounter. Wow... What a great way to set a feat on fire.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

I like the writeup to be honest. It doesn't have drawbacks and a useful 1/encounter ability. It reminds me of the current dwarf.

but
Play an elf if you want …

* to play a ranger, a rogue, or a cleric.

Are they going back to the 2e class restrictions?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I think that is more like class choice suggestions.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Hm, they don't recommend Druids for elves. Are Druids even still around, or have they been replaced by Clerics of 'nature?'
Interested2
NPC

Post by Interested2 »

What? WotC is making an edition of D&D that sucks and seems more suited to CRPGS? Gosh! I'm shocked!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

What the fuck? How is that so much worse than elves currently are? I'll you grant that the aura is a bad idea, and the feat is pathetic, but other than that it seems fine. It's not perfect, but it's hardly worse than 3e.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

CatharzGodfoot at [unixtime wrote:1198266664[/unixtime]]What the fuck? How is that so much worse than elves currently are? I'll you grant that the aura is a bad idea, and the feat is pathetic, but other than that it seems fine. It's not perfect, but it's hardly worse than 3e.

It's a little worse than 3rd in that you have to keep track of an aura. But more importantly, it's a declaration of intent that they intend to not fix or address any of the structural problems D&D languishes under.

The flavor tirade is just "meh". Honestly I don't care one way or the other. And the mechanics are only slightly more complicated than 3e races tend to be. But the revelation about their design principals is unfortunate.

• They are not seriously addressing the piles of bonuses problems. Both the fact that large numbers of tiny bonuses are a pain in the ass and the fact that large numbers of tiny bonuses push the RNG out the window are something that they don't seem to have noticed.

• Abilities which are ass are bad, and if they are selectable it's even worse. It seems WotC hasn't noticed how much work it is to remember that a character has a Dodge bonus against one monster. Especially when it's selectable and therefore non-automatic. If it's an automatic thing at least your friends can remember for you.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1198263678[/unixtime]]Hm, they don't recommend Druids for elves. Are Druids even still around, or have they been replaced by Clerics of 'nature?'

If that's so, why is the ranger still there? It has way more in common with the fighter (at least in the current edition) than the druid with the cleric.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

What is the RNG thing that people keep talking about? I know that it stands for Random Number Generator, which is mostly a d20. I assume that being pushed off the RNG is a bonus of +1-+20, am I correct?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1198271501[/unixtime]]What is the RNG thing that people keep talking about? I know that it stands for Random Number Generator, which is mostly a d20. I assume that being pushed off the RNG is a bonus of +1-+20, am I correct?

To really address that issue, we'd have to consider what the d20 (or other dice rolling methods for other games) are actually for. Namely, it is to settle disputes in a pre-arranged fashion so that everyone can agree on the next set of the action and everyone can move on with their lives.

But next we have to consider the role of the DM. The DM actually places all the obstacles, sets all the skill DCs and defines all the monsters. And ideally these are all created so that the players can succeed but still feel threatened and such along the way. And so it is important for the DM to know what kinds of rolls the players are going to make. A monster which has death spells with a save DC 18 points higher than their fort saves is most likely going to just slap the party down. A slippery slope with a climb DC just 4 points higher than their climb bonus is a waste of time - the party can't fall.

Which brings us to the random number generator itself. In the case of d20 it is a literal icosohedron and it generates 20 different outcomes with equal probability. And the DM literally does not know ahead of time which outcomes will be spat out come game time, and there is none more likely than any other. But the outputs of the d20 are actually not much different one from another. A 13 is much like a 14 unless the one point is exactly enough to push a hit into a miss. So the results can be blocked and in that fashion evaluated.

And now we come to the inherent problem of collecting bonuses in sufficient magnitude or numbers. If one player has a bonus substantially larger than another, the DM is left unable to set a difficulty where it would be a challenge to both characters. Quite simply, a challenge for one character automatically defeats the other, a challenge for the second character bears no threat or consequence to the first. And so on.

And that is the problem. And they don't seem to even acknowledge that it happens.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Numbers are a buzzkill for more emotional gamers (role-players in a truer sense?) so some, like a close friend of mine, act almost as if even considering numeric balance of in-game effects is like an allergy.
It causes anxiety for him, or something.
The end result is a horribly warped game mechanic that he regrets, and nerfs, later.

I have a suspicion that many WOTC designers, hell... many designers everywhere... are at least in some way like my friend.
They got the job, probably very easily due to an emotional/social wit or tact, but don't consider what their wild creations are unleashing upon. Or how many people they aggravate.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1198270752[/unixtime]]
angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1198263678[/unixtime]]Hm, they don't recommend Druids for elves. Are Druids even still around, or have they been replaced by Clerics of 'nature?'

If that's so, why is the ranger still there? It has way more in common with the fighter (at least in the current edition) than the druid with the cleric.

The first PH will have a grand total of 8 classes (unless something really changes in the next couple weeks)

Fighter - Melee Guy Tan
Paladin - Melee Guy White
Rogue - Melee Guy Grey

Ranger - Ranged Guy Green (or maybe Tan)
Warlord - Leader (read, Support) Guy Tan

Cleric - Magic Guy White
Wizard - Magic Guy Tan
Warlock - Magic Guy Grey

druid will probably be out in one of the later Players Handbooks (they're planning ~1 a year, like they do now with the MM). But its looking like the druid will change a bit- major focus on shapeshifting with a limited ability with spells. (More like the bard, in terms of spells, but done the 4e way, which is still a bit of mystery)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Slipping the jerky slope towards classless...

Once again, down to the basic 3 of Warrior, Skilled, and Caster, with only vaguely defined (or roughly, arbitrarily, hastily gouged) borders between each.

We also have Sorcerer coming in, as something a bit different from Wizard. I'll be avoiding the Wiz forums like bubonic around the time of its debut.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

What they are trying for, sadly enough, is even more tightly defined class roles.
The leader, defender, striker, controller thing is part of it, but some facts have leaked out at times

The fighter is going to have a selection of weapon based powers. A hammer specialist is going to do more damage, and get some stunning effects. A sword specialist is going to be faster, more accurate. And so on. But...
they won't get any class abilities for bows, daggers or two weapon fighting.
Only rangers get bow based powers, and only rangers and rogues get TWF abilities.

All this moved from selectable feats to class powers for specific and arbitrary classes.

I haven't seen a good reason why, but you won't have archer fighters. Fighters are, apparently, for sword and boarding or two-handing in melee. Nothing else. You might be able to do Class Training: Ranger as a feat, but it probably won't be as good as a real ranger, and won't work well with your actual fighter class powers.
Same with wizards. Most enchantment spells got stripped and saved for the psion. If you want to do enchantment well you have to be that class.

Admittedly the exact implementation of the Class Training feat throws everything up in the air, but the way it looks, if you want a certain schtick, you must be the right class. Even for everyday stuff like 'what weapon did you train with'