General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Better social skills

Post by User3 »

Better social skills.
I thought that social skills would be handled like this:

Diplomacy: Make a check, then increase your target’s mood(Helpful, Friendly, Indifferent, etc) based on your check. If the action requested is one that character with that mood would do, then they do it.

Intimidate: Make a check, and reduce that person’s mood. When the mood hits Frightened(a mood below Hostile), they will follow your request. After they do your request, their mood goes to Hostile, but they don’t attack immediately(but they may make your life difficult in other ways).

Bluff: Make a check, and if successful, the target believes your lies and does the service you require. If they later find out that that you lied to them, their mood drops two levels(From Friendly to Indifferent, for example.)

Sense Motive: Not opposed to Bluff anymore. But, it will tell you that you think that someone is lying(so an NPC that thinks you are lying might check out your story).

RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: Better social skills

Post by RandomCasualty »

I dunno, I've never really liked systems for social skills. I'd prefer the DCs and systems be left intentionally vague, otherwise there's always some weird absurdity that you can do wtih them.
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Re: Better social skills

Post by Ramnza »

Can't say that I've ever really used them myself. Most of the time we roleplay stuff like that out.