Dropping x4 skill points.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Dropping x4 skill points.

Post by Username17 »

I've always wanted to do this. Here's my latest thought:

You should just get a bonus for being trained in a skill (that is, having one rank or more). That bonus should be +3 to your rolls for that skill, and +1 more to your rolls on all related skills (that is, those for which skill synergy exists).

Thereafter, you should gain an additional +1 on related skills for every two whole ranks you have in a skill.

So this looks like this:
Level/Skill Mod/Synergy Bonus
1/4/1
2/5/2
3/6/2
4/7/3
5/8/3
6/9/4
7/10/4
8/11/5

All in all, the chart doesn't change much - but your max ranks and your level are the same, and synergy is gained gradually.

Finally, of course, gaining a new skill at 6th level costs the same as getting a new skill at 4th level, which means that diversifying your skills is encouraged instead of retarded.

Seems like a step in the right direction, no?

-Username17
RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: Dropping x4 skill points.

Post by RandomCasualty »

Well, I like your basic goal here. That x4 skill rule is stupid, and feels contrived anyway. The fact that you're always better off starting as a 1st level rogue is stupid.

So basically what you're saying is that when you first take a skill you gain a +3 bonus in it just for being trained.

I'm not sure if I like the synergy bonus idea, because it seems like it could get abusive, especially with social skills.

As for diversifying skills, really the only way to do that in D&D is to change around the skill system to some kind of diminshing returns system, much like GURPS and whitewolf. Basically you'd end up putting in a certain number of points and getting less of a benefit back because your skill is so high.

This is really the only way I know to encourage people to diversify in skills. Because as much as I'd like people to dip into skills here and there, they really don't, because 3 less ranks in hide or move silently tends to hurt them more than 3 ranks in knowledge (reliigon) helps them. Especialyl since those ranks tend to be crossclass anyway.
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

Yeah, makes perfect sense. Synergy is a whole nother issue, though, IMO.
I_mongo
NPC

Post by I_mongo »

What about a granting all characters a flat number of skill points at 1st level, in addition to the ones granted by their class?

For example, all characters start with 24 skill points, plus Int modifier x 3. Humans receive another 3 skill points on top of that. A 1st level rogue would also get 8 skill points, plus other modifiers for Int or being human. A 1st fighter would get 2 more skill points, plus modifiers.

Or you could reduce all DCs by 3 and give skill points to characters based on their class only, without a 1st level multiplier. Max ranks would equal your character level in this case. I’m not sure of what ramifications this option would have on the game system, though.

mongo
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

For example, all characters start with 24 skill points, plus Int modifier x 3. Humans receive another 3 skill points on top of that. A 1st level rogue would also get 8 skill points, plus other modifiers for Int or being human. A 1st fighter would get 2 more skill points, plus modifiers.

My experience with implementing exactly this is that people kept being unable to figure out how it worked.

I don't know why, but for some reason it seems to break some complexity threshold inside most gamers. It seems simpler to me, but I think the whole thing of having skills for zero level just makes people's heads explode.

-Username17