Giant Crabs!!!!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, yeah, kiting is the obvious go to.

And the stat block is correct. The Greenbound Summoner feat applies the Greenbound template to summoned creatures, which makes it a plant creature and gives it +6 NA and +6 str, along with a shit ton of other good stuff. Though technically that's only for SNA creatures, and the Monstrous Crab only appears on Summon Monster, because its a vermin. So the summoning cleric would need, like, Child of Winter to treat vermin as animals, and get the GM, who apparently really fucking likes how the cleric's player fondles his sack while sucking, to approve the monstrous crab as an option for SNA (which is totally reasonable, but isn't specifically mentioned as an option).
Last edited by Prak on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

All of this is kind of pointless, because the original Damn Crab was a 3.5 Web Supplement, which pursuant to assorted precedence rules was totally replaced by the Stormwrack crab, which is CR 4 instead of 3, loses 30hp, loses 20ft of move speed, loses 1 AC, loses 2 attack and 4 damage on each attack, and loses 4 on Fort save.

For a CR 4 it is nothing special, and the old CR 3 web one "doesn't exist" anymore.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Makes me wonder, how thoroughly should a monster be playtested? Can you just eyeball it, or should you run it against typical parties a couple of times and see what happens? Assuming there is such a thing as a typical party.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

Thaluikhain wrote:Makes me wonder, how thoroughly should a monster be playtested? Can you just eyeball it, or should you run it against typical parties a couple of times and see what happens? Assuming there is such a thing as a typical party.
Most of the time required to do that would be devoted to setting up "typical parties" for each level to test monsters against. Actually resolving fights (or just comparing success rates) takes a lot less time when one person is making all the decisions and you don't care about pageantry. Since you can pretty easily re-use those parties as much as you like for other tests, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't do it.