New Magic Item Format

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

New Magic Item Format

Post by fbmf »

Thanks to Zherog for pointing this out over at Nifty.

Andy Speaks

Andy, In That Thread wrote:

Based on player feedback regarding the expanded magic item format that debuted a little while back, as well as ongoing concerns about clarity of item functions and the like, the Magic Item Compendium team came up with a new and (we believe) significantly improved method of detailing magic items.

Our goal was to recreate the basic utility of the familiar-to-everyone spell description format, adapting it to the slightly different needs of magic items, while still allowing room for a designer to add a flavorful touch to items that merited it.

At a glance, a magic item in the new MIC format looks a bit like a spell description from the Spell Compendium: a slightly-enlarged-font name at the top, followed by line-item entries for the significant at-a-glance game information you need, followed by body text that describes the item's appearance and game effect.

Of course, the crucial details for magic items don't quite match those of spells, and the new format takes that into account. For example, an item's price is a very important value (some players might say the most important), and thus it occupies a significant place in the line-item entries (right under the name). Same for the item's body slot, which follows directly afterward. Other line-item entries include caster level, aura (for the purpose of detect magic), and activation (the item's "casting time"). Since so many items have multiple effects, entries such as range, area, target, effect, duration, and so on don't work well as line-items; instead, this information is contained within the body text.

Leading off the body text is a one-sentence visual description of the item, particularly useful for DMs who have run out of ways to describe the magic rings or boots the characters keep finding.

"Clear and concise" were our watchwords in crafting each item's body text. It aims to describe the item's game effect in a manner that maximizes game utility while minimizing reader confusion. Most items use no more than a few sentences to capture this information.

A few items include a "Lore" entry that allows DMs to add some flavor to the item's appearance, but these are in the minority--we felt that information was best as a rare spice, rather than an omnipresent sauce ladled over the entire book.

Following the body text are two more line-item entries: the prerequisites for creating the item, followed by the cost to create (in gp, XP, and days). We set these apart from the leading line-item entries since a) they aren't relevant to most readers (only to those looking to craft the items), and b) they tend to be longer than the other entries, typically taking up multiple lines. The cost to create entry also sets off any "component" costs (such as "315 gp for masterwork longsword) to clarify what exactly a creator is paying for.

A typical entry takes up roughly 1/5 of a page (similar to a spell), though this of course varies based on how much text it takes to explain an item's effect. Like the PH spells chapter, MIC's magic items use a more efficient three-column format, which keeps the opening line-item entries from creating too much white space.

To be certain, this format is longer than that used in the DMG (though much shorter than the format from DMG2). However, we believe this increased length makes the entry infinitely more friendly to a player or DM actually trying to use the item in play.

We think this is the right way to describe a magic item: It minimizes the amount of text that must be read to understand the item's function in the game, without ignoring certain utilitarian and/or flavorful details that make the item descriptions more interesting, more readable, and, ultimately, more useful both at and away from the table.

At last count, the book held somewhere between 1000 and 1100 items. I apologize for the catalog's inaccuracy--while we contracted for about 1250 items to be designed/revised, we always expected the actual number to drop by 10-20% during development (winnowing out the least interesting/exciting items, as well as the inevitable redundancies). As lead designer/developer, "We Must Hit 1000" was always my mantra, as anyone standing near my desk during either of my two 6-week stints on the book would be able to tell you. Apparently, though, somebody heard our original "design goal" and mistook it for a final value. It's always frustrating when inaccuracies creep into the catalog, and I wish it hadn't happened, but for now I'll just say we're working on ways to prevent similar problems from occurring in the future.

(The editors are still working on the book as I write this, so the final product may vary slightly from what I've described here, but I don't expect any serious changes at this point.)

I could go on and on about this book--as you can probably tell, I'm rather happy with the result--but I'll save that for when its release is a bit more imminent. I'm sure we'll have plenty to say about this book in the months immediately preceding its release.

Andy, Later in the same thread wrote:
Here's how the cloak of arachnida (from the DMG) might look in the new format. (Realistically, we'd have spent some time cleaning up the effects a bit more so--for instance--the reader would know what "poison from spiders" means in a game with a variety of eight-legged venomous freaks running around, but you should be able to get the idea.)

Cloak of Arachnida
Price: 14,000 gp
Body Slot: Shoulders
Caster Level: 6th
Aura: Faint; (DC 18) conjuration and transmutation
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: 1 lb.

This black cloak bears pattern of webs embroidered in white silk.

When activated, the cloak of arachnida grants its wearer the effect of a spider climb spell.
Once per day, the wearer may activate the cloak to cast web.
In addition, the wearer of a cloak of arachnida is immune to entrapment by webs of any sort, can move across webs at half her normal speed, and gains a +2 luck bonus on Fortitude saves against the poison of spiders. These powers function continuously, with no need for activation.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, spider climb, web.
Cost to Create: 7,000 gp, 560 gp, 14 days.

I'd also like to note that there is a LOT of gratuitous ass kissing in that thread.

Game On,
fbmf
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Re: New Magic Item Format

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I like it. Its lacking the super long but not good crud from DMG2. Its better formatted than the DMG version. IMO the DMG one is a holdover from wall of text squish jobs that were used to get content into a cheaply producable product. RPGs have more players now so dumping the ultra minimalist space saver format is affordable.

I actually don't like prefab magic items though. So I don't read that section of a book anyway.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

I'm with D_A on this one. Yeah, some of the stuff may be redundant (body slot for gloves) for some items, but I like the other (aura). Some over there make it sound like you shot their left testicle - whatever inconvenience ain't the end of the world.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I wish that it didn't have chunks in there that were obviously in there for no reason other than to fill up space. The old telegraphic style used to save page space was annoying at times, but the new motiff of taking up page space in order to put the minimum information into the maximum number of books eally hurts - in the pocketbook.

The new format is intended to fill up books faster, no more, and no less. That means that when you purchase a new book you get less crunch. Any advantages are completely secondary to that.

So really, while there are genuine advantages, I'm against the new format.

-Username17
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

In theory it's good, but when you have items with multiple abilities it can becomes useless (at best) or just plain confusing. The above item actually isn't representative of the MIC. Items with both passive and active abilities say something like 'Activation: - or Standard (command) or Immediate (mental) (see below).' Thanks guys, that's a lot clearer.

What's worse is when they decide not to be redundant, and don't say what kind of an activation it is by the actual ability.

Body slot should be indicated by section of the chapter. There should be a heading like "Items worn on the hands," and no mention of slot in the item description. It's usually pretty clear (unlike spell level in the 2e PHB), and it would be a lot easier to find items in the MIC if they were arranged like that.

Caster level and Aura belong on the same line. Activation should be indicated in text next to the ability, possibly with a font-based eye catcher.

So,

ITEMS WORN ABOUT THE SHOULDERS

Cloak of Arachnida
Price: 14,000 gp
Aura: Faint (caster level 6, DC 18); conjuration and transmutation.
Weight: 1 lb.
This black cloak bears pattern of webs embroidered in white silk.
Once per day, the wearer may activate the cloak to cast web as a standard action.
In addition, the wearer of a cloak of arachnida gains the effects of spider climb, is immune to entrapment by webs of any sort, can move across webs at half her normal speed, and gains a +2 luck bonus on Fortitude saves against the poison of spiders. These powers function continuously, with no need for activation.
Cost to Create: 7,000 gp, 560 gp, 14 days.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, spider climb, web.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Body slot should be indicated by section of the chapter. There should be a heading like "Items worn on the hands," and no mention of slot in the item description.

The problem is that the slots are bullshit and totally arbitrary. Do you even know if a Robe of Eyes or a Mantle of Righteousness counts as a "vestment" slot or a "shoulder" slot? Do you even care?

You can't find anything right now because there's no clear nomenclature. Something you wear on your hands that allows you to shred things wolverine style might be listed under GA for "gauntlets" or GL for "gloves". But it also might be under HA for "hands" or BR for "bracers" or CL for claws or even LY for "Lycanthrope Claw Gloves". Because things are listed alphabetically by the first word and sometimes things are "noun adjective" and other times "adjective noun" there would be no way to find things even if something on the hands might be "mittens" or "gage".

But cutting things up by section would not really help. Ultimately you'd still be stuck wondering if the claw popping things were technically bracelets or gloves in addition to wondering whether they are gauntlets or warmers.

---

What really needs to happen is to name everything generically and then give examples of in-game names for them in a little list at he end. Seriously, the fact that the Vanguard Treads are under "V" and the Boots of the Battle Charger are under "B" is hella bullshit.

-Username17
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

You don't list them by alphabetical categories, although you do list the categories alphabetically.

The MIC has formalized the 'slots' into "arms, head, face, hands, feet, neck, belt (waist?), ring, body, shoulders, and torso."

Just list those alphabetically and have everything that goes in the slot under that heading. In a more realistic game, you might be able to wear items in multiple places, but in D&D 3.5, a specific torc always occupies either the "neck" or the "arms," (depending on the item) regardless of wear you put it on your body.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Personally I blame computer gaming. :uptosomething:

No seriously, I look back on the days I played 1E at R.P.I. with laughter at all the bizzare things we did with magic items back then. Some characters had "teeth" of spell storing! Whole wars were fought over how many rings you could wear on your hands.

On the computer I started playing Island of Kesmai and finally the game whose company I eventually started working for, the Kingdom of Drakkar. Slots made sense; torso armor slot, right hand ring slot, left hand ring slot, neck slot, head slot, boots slot.

It was only much later that I realized I was always a slot sort of guy. You got your undershirt slot, your shirt slot, your tie slot, your vest or sweater slot and your jacket slot. You got your underpants slot, your socks slot, your trousers slot, and your shoe slot. It all makes sense.

"But what about my magic nose ring?"

Yes it all makes sense. No nose rings, or teeth of spell storing! (I mean the player eventually wanted to be an Ice Devil. "Why not?" I thought, Ice devils didn't have any teeth!)
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

All I know is that on the other boards I saw some poster raging about how the new format was apparently the devil and designed to steal money from pockets. Honestly, I would tend to think (at least applying some measure of optimism) that testing and evaluation would provide for a cap on the amount of items well before space concerns take hold.

Okay, that's probably a naive amount of optimism, but the poster went on to extol the virtue of saving space by having unmentioned information use a standard default. And that I think is pretty dumb. Think about it - for a complex item I'd actually have to scan through its paragraphs of text to confirm the absence of information, for example, that it doesn't mention the activation time, and thereby inherents public virtual TimeSpan ActivationTime().

And upon being pushed the poster insisted that you could figure it out unless you were retarded. I think I might of mentioned that it was simply an inferior, cumbersome, and more fault-prone decision. Particularly given the breadth of competency seen in the developers WotC uses. At which point he may have called me retarded. I don't even remember that well.

Long story short, I now love the new item format, if only to spite that dude.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

I
have
nothing
against
including
all
the
information
but
do
they
have
to
put
it
all
over
so
many
lines?
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Hey - the new format in MIC is better (as far as space is concerned at least) than the version in DMG2.

I know that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it's something...
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

All I want to know is how powerful the effect is (for auras and creations) and how it is activated. I could care less about slots and description and all the rest.

-Crissa