Tome Series, lets get some mid-term balance

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Tome Series, lets get some mid-term balance

Post by User3 »

ok, I'm fairly sure I can't be the only person who's noticed that with what's out so far, things are not balanced, which makes games difficult while we're waiting for K and Frank to get more stuff to us. We need skill and magic feats, we need class balance, and we just need some other various things so we can run games while we wait for more Tome goodness.

so, I propose we all think up some stuff to tide us over and allow proper games, and possibly help the guys with ideas.

who's in?
User3
Prince

Re: Tome Series, lets get some mid-term balance

Post by User3 »

dammit! I forgot to log in before posting that... anyway, I just posted this same thing on the wizards boards, so we can get a good load of ideas, hopefully... I think I'll periodically post stuff from this board on wizards, and vice versa, so no need to put your stuff in both threads
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

fvcking case-sensitivity... anyway, I think I'll probably get the threads up to speed every monday morning, about 9am.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

I came up with a 'Stealthy' type feat and a 'Looky' type feat a while back for a rogue player of mine. Can't remember exactly how they went, but here goes...

Shadow Walker
Scales To:
Hide ranks. (maybe MS, but Hide makes more sense)
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus to Hide checks.
4: You can take 10 on all Hide and Move Silently checks.
9: Darkstalker - as from Lords of Madness. Creatures with special sensory abilities (blindsense, blindsight, scent, etc) still must make Spot and Listen checks to notice you.
14: You can move at full normal speed while hiding or moving silently without penalty; you can move at double speed at -5, or run at -10.
19: Hide in Plain Sight - You can hide without cover or concealment and even if you are being observed. Unlike the Shadowdancer or Ranger ability, you can do this anywhere, anytime.

Scout
Scales To:
Spot or Listen ranks.
Benefit: You gain a +3 to Spot or Listen checks, whichever skill you are scaling this feat to. You are always considered to be 'alert'; you can never suffer distraction penalties to Spot or Listen checks.
4: You can take 10 on any Spot or Listen checks.
9: You suffer no penalty on Spot or Listen checks for 50 feet; distance afterward is treated as if you were 50 feet closer.
14: You can spot invisible and ethereal creatures as if they did not have those qualities. You can hear incorporeal and ethereal creatures as if they did not have those qualities.
19: You can see clearly in all environments (take no penalties for low/no light, blizzards, etc.) and through all magical effects (such as Darkness), and your hearing is never obscured by environmental effects (howling winds, explosions, etc.) or by magical effects (such as Silence). You take no penalty on Spot or Listen checks for the first 250 feet of distance, and all things afterward are considered to be 250 feet closer.

So... yeah. That last one could use some fine-tuning, but whatever.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Make the Scout one for 19 ranks this:

For every rank you have in Spot or ...

Call it two different feats: Keen Ears and Eagle Eyes.

Anyway, at 19 ranks, for ever rank that you have to reduce the penalty to your checks by 1.

So, 190 feet = 0-5 feet for you. Which is a bit more reasonable than the 250 feet, and you'll get 250 feet if/when you reach 25 ranks in spot anyway.

In any case, Keen Ears is probably a safer bet for most rogues to take, since you can tell where something is, and no matter how good you are at spotting, you won't be able to look around a corner or through a door.

-------

Also, every skill should have it's own feat, so Hide has one, Move Silently will have it's own, as will Spot and Listen.

Oooh, I wonder what Intimidate would be like.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Judging Eagle wrote:I wonder what intimidate will be like

christ... well, now I know what I'm doing in class...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Muahahaha! You fell right into my fiendish trap you muscle-bound boob!

make it so you can scare peole from fu
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.