Questions about base classes

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AlphaNerd
Master

Re: Questions about base classes

Post by AlphaNerd »

So, another question.

Master of Necromancy: The Master of the Seven Necromantic Mysteries gains a bonus to his caster level when casting spells of the school of Necromancy equal to his class level.

How large a bonus?
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

AlphaNerd at [unixtime wrote:1175403831[/unixtime]]So, another question.

Master of Necromancy: The Master of the Seven Necromantic Mysteries gains a bonus to his caster level when casting spells of the school of Necromancy equal to his class level.

How large a bonus?
I don't think the spells are equal to his class level.
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

Thanks. I guess I'm up too late.
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

Ok, I'm looking at Bone Rider, who gets

Bonus feat: At 3rd level, the Bone Rider gains a Bonus Feat that she qualifies for. The feat must have Mounted Combat or Point Blank Shot as one of its prerequisites. She gains another similar Bonus Feat at level 5.

Which means that I'm confused. I know this is written before RoW, so I guess I'm out on a limb asking for compatibility. Should this just be any [Combat] feat, or should there be a small list of feats (not sure what to list, Sniper, Hunter, PB Shot? Mounted Combat is already required for the class).

Also, that reminds me of the Death King (released in RoW), who has the prerequisites: Feats: Power Attack, Expertise, Leadership, where the text explicitly states that power attack and expertise are freebies. Should they be removed from the Death King's feats required list (and replaced?)

AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

Ok, the Initiate:

Usurp Services (Sp): At 5th level, an Initiate of the Black Tower may make a caster level check as swift action to Usurp a [calling] or [summoning] effect. If this check is successful, the Initiate becomes the caster of the spell for that effect, gaining services, control over summoned monsters, etc.

You don't mention a DC, presumably 10+caster level of the person casting the spell?
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

More questions, what is the DC of the boneblade reaper's death art's strike based off of? Is it like 10+class level+Con or 10+1/2 HD + Cha? What?
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Are a bunch of the monk's class abilities named from Shadowfist/Feng Shui?
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

AlphaNerd at [unixtime wrote:1175403831[/unixtime]]So, another question.

How large a bonus?

Your actually correct in that the grammar of that is screwy, because it obviously means the MoSNM gains a caster level bonus = MoSNM class level whenever he casts necromacy spells.

But what it actually says is that when he casts spells of the necromancy school = class level (so, if he's MoSNM 5, whenever he casts 5th level necromancy spells) he gains an unspecified bonus to his caster level. And thats just weird.

Correct text should read:
"Master of Necromancy: The Master of Seven Necromantic Mysteries gains a caster level bonus = to his (MoSNM) class level whenever he casts a spell of the necromancy school."

() used instead of brackets to denote non-necessary implied text because brackets probably would mess up the display.