Tome of Necromancy/Book of Fiends exploit

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ryan_Singer
NPC

Tome of Necromancy/Book of Fiends exploit

Post by Ryan_Singer »

I was running a game last year that used some of these rules, and my players did something that pissed me off. They tried to use lesser planar binding to summon a 6-hd vampire (there is a rule in Frank and K's stuff that lets you call undead, I forget where), to kill it, trap the soul and sell it. Their idea was if this worked, they could mass-produce currency that would work in the wish economy. My fix was that they were stealing these souls directly from the god of the dead, who put out a bounty on the group. It still was a cheap attempt, though.

--
Ryan
Cielingcat
Duke

Re: Tome of Necromancy/Book of Fiends exploit

Post by Cielingcat »

Those souls would only be worth 3,600 gold, and that's not very much.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Tome of Necromancy/Book of Fiends exploit

Post by Username17 »

So he's... replicating the Salamander Harvest exploit from core? Interesting.

The answer of course, is that you can totally do that. You can run around and kill random weak people and take their stuff. This garners you treasure but generally not XP. In many cases, this is worthwhile if the treasure is important to your character's success.

The original version of this was to call up salamanders and kill them for their magic spears. The more advanced version, called Balor Mining involves using 3.5 shapechange to duplicate the Supernatural ability to have 72,000 gp worth of crap in your left hand as a free action. The first one is kind of dumb, the second is straight-up broketastic.

Regardless, when characters pick on the weak in order to take their stuff they are in essence challenging planar enemies to a duel. Those enemies then essentially pick the time and the place for the confrontation and battle commences.

So really you had it spot on. Characters really can sit in their house with a spellbook opened to planar binding and steal the souls of minor flunkies of their enemies to use them as currency. Similarly, team monster can conduct slave raids on minor villages and run off with little girls in order to chop their hearts out. And in either case the only actual answer is "adventurers come after you".

What the players are doing is choosing an adventure where they get the treasure first and fight the monsters second. That's fine actually, as the response will be proportionate to the amount of treasure thus far gained.

-Username17