Comparing a lvl 12 Fighter vs a RoW Fighter

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: Comparing a lvl 12 Fighter vs a RoW Fighter

Post by Judging__Eagle »

No, they're replacing/overlapping with the existing gear. As in 'they're a higher bonus, so they apply but the +2 bonuses don't do anyhting since they're lower and the same type'.

So, that's why I said 3 more to each, not 5 more each. For a total of +6 between both. I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry man.

Wait, does barkskin and SoF cap at lower than +5? B/c if they do, that's retarded.

Ok, had to check the D20srd.org page to be sure; but yeah, they'd hit +5 at lvl 12 (bark skin) and 18 (sheild of faith).

In anycase, it would make sense to cast layers of magic upon yourself to give you different levels of benefits in case one set is harmed.

I also think that casting Blessing of Bahamut (DR 10 /Magic; that stacks with the DR 5/- from Great Fortitude) is a good idea.

That or simply packing +1 moderate fortification adamantine carapace for when I 'know' that I need to tank shit like a dragon.

Getting your BaB + 5 in DR is pretty handy if you know you'll just be soaking hit after hit after hit.

I really, really, really am simply considering making the warchains Wrathful Healing ones in order to regain 1/2 of damage dealt as HP for myself (+25 to +35 hp to yourself per hit is nothing to sneeze at). Making Blitzing a safer prospect.

I also think that Wrathful Healing should come in a +1 and +2 flavour (1/10 hp of damage that you do per hit as a +1 ability and 1 hp/5 hp of damage that you deal is worth a +2, Wrathful Healing is essentially giving you +1hp/2 hp of damage that you deal). Call them Vexed healing and Angered healing

I'd say a +5 flavour, but getting all of your damage dealt as HP is something epic, really. Also, it's able to be abusive.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
erik
King

Post by erik »

There is the small issue that this guy is being massively buffed by wands and some of these buffs may cost combat actions.

I'd be very hesitant to grant reduced charge wands in a wish economy, simply because it means you have infinite wands, and that's not necessarily a good thing.

I definitely wouldn't have custom items of spells willy nilly (like headband of alterself) since that's a path that leads to broken. Infinite wands seems like a waypoint well past the horizon on that path.

Lastly, I don't believe that you can change your combat expertise or power attack amount once you've started attacking for a round. You choose it for the whole round.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Yeah, creating wands with lower amounts of charges isn't exactly approved by RAW anyway. By definition, all wands are created with 50 charges.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yes, but I buy a wand with 10 charges.

That costs 10 charges.

If I buy such an item, I can probably wish for a copy of such an item.

Or simply wish for the gold and pay straight gems to a wizard who has a bunch of partly charged wands he wants to get rid of.

I'm sure the Sigil has the equivalent of a flea market for magic items like partly used wands.

Also, Clickml, you talked about him wasting combat actions.

I counter with the fact that he's probably running around with a ring of invisibility and UMDing a wand of Magic Aura to hide his illusion magic aura.

That, or simply use his really high hide check (15 ranks, 8 dex, -1 Armour Stealth Penalty, +10 Robes of being not seen = +32 hide check, and I can walk without taking a -10 penalty, and I can take 10 most of the time).

Of course, I'm not playing this guy as a bash in the door character. That was level ... 2 game tactics.

He's a genius poet-warrior sage with his stats and his Craft skill can be used to craft blades, baskets, armour, arrows, prose or poetry. So he won't do a silly thing like charge into an enemy that isn't already somehow weakened or if he's not somehow pre-buffing.

That's just how I play though.

Seriously, dont' read Sun Tzu's the Art of War, it ruins your ability to kill shit and loot the bodies b/c they have green skin and fangs and you don't.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1174350436[/unixtime]]Yes, but I buy a wand with 10 charges.

That costs 10 charges.

The whole point of the Wish Economy is that an item which can't be wished for can't be had for gold. Wands are created with 50 charges (whether by feat or spell), and even after they've been depleted they're still items that can't be bought, regardless of their supposed 'gp value.'

It's arbitrary in the sense that you can find wonderous items which are priced into wishability because a designer created them with very few charges, but it's still a little more balanced than opening the wand floodgates.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1174350436[/unixtime]]
He's a genius poet-warrior sage with his stats and his Craft skill can be used to craft blades, baskets, armour, arrows, prose or poetry.

Hey, so how about letting the craft skill let you make nothing unless you've bought a rank in an appropriate Professsion skill? Two ranks lets you make more esoteric stuff.

It's probably a weaker mechanic, but it's a nice compromise in terms of the 'If I can make something, I can make anythng' issue. Many 'Crafted' items are already covered by Professions (e.g. bakers can make cakes & master bakers can make delicious cake, you must eat it!).
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Meh, the Wand floodgates are not that big of a deal anyway.

Grabbing Command and a cohort that can buff him is probably best then.