Arcana Unearthed, worth it?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: Arcana Unearthed, worth it?

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yeah, I was mixing game design with adventure design.

The thing is, sometimes game design will influence adventure design.

Wait... no, that's the actual DM's fault.

i think I had some parallel thoughts going on and me getting pissed at one thing got me thinking about other things that piss me off.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Modesitt
Journeyman

Post by Modesitt »

Essence at [unixtime wrote:1173718109[/unixtime]
And Runethanes are sweet. Anyone who can turn the party Warmain into a machine that deals 4+ Save or Dies each round (by runing a crapload of throwing weapons ) and then turn his already decent defense into "if you touch me, you die" (by runing his shield) is a better Bard than any Bard, and the Runethane has better spell access (and a host of even nastier tricks) through Spell Sigils.

1. I don't know what you're talking about as Runethane's don't get a Save or Die. I suppose you could call Rune of Slaying a Save or Die at 100 damage+5 per Runethane level, but it isn't quite a SoD.

2. D&D doesn't have called shots or called defenses. Again, see above. AE doesn't have SoD's. It has the ability to deal large amounts of damage, but no SoD's.

3. Just to pick an arbitrary number - At level 9, a Runethane can cast exactly eleven spells per day, including four 0th level spells. A bard can cast eight spells per day that are not 0th level spells.

Other than that, they have bad BAB, one good save, d6 HPs, 4 skill points, simple weapons and no armor. Runethanes have no redeeming values as a PC class.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

*Shrugs*

If someone's going to sit behind a facade of anonymity and snipe at us, I'm sure as hell going to call him Anonymous Troll until he distinguishes himself further.

Back to AU... it's interesting, and a lot more flavorful then core, but it suffers from the same basic problem that everyone who isn't a primary caster sucks. Sure, there are more cool abilities out there, and less dead levels... but seriously, a lot of the classes are relatively INEPT at combat, and it shows.

Consider the Akhasic. Basically a Rogue with cool flavor abilities instead of sneak attack (they can get a total of 3d6 sneak attack if they give up other stuff for it). Unfortunately, these abilities don't extend much beyond self-only buffs that Magisters can hand out better, and scrying that Magisters get sooner. At 20st level, they can cast a single 7th level spell. That's about it.

Consider the Oathsworn. Like the Core Monk, with a slightly different set of flavor abilities, slanted more towards immunities. Follows the "Getting lots and lots of attacks is worth none of those attacks hitting" paradigm. Oh, and as if that wasn't enough, they have a code of conduct that more or less prevents them from using magic items, or any equipment at all for that matter. 'Nuff said.

Consider the Warmain. Like the Core Fighter, but with less customizability. Gets the ability to make an attack auto-crit if it hits, once or twice a day. Also gets a few 'combat rites' starting at 13th level. Paladin casting comes to mind, but this progression is slower and has fewer options.

Really, these classes are kinda cool, and the flavor text is really nice... but in terms of game balance, they suck. They are not capable of fighting CR-appropriate foes; they can't do much beyond stand in front of the Magister while he kicks everyone's ass with his awesome magic of awesomeness.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

While he awesomely kicks everyone's nonawesome ass with his awesome magic of awesome awesomeness.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.