Frank talking about power level in D&D

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Frank talking about power level in D&D

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Frank was talking about how PCs get powerful in a really fast manner such that at 8th lvl the orc warriors are in his words no meanigful threat; and those 8th lvl PCs are the same to I guess 15-16th lvl PCs?

but I can't seem to find the thread. and using a sitebased google search either gave me nothing or everything.

I'd appreciate at least a mention of what thread it was, since I know I read it within the last day or so.

Thanks
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
User3
Prince

Re: Frank talking about power level in D&D

Post by User3 »

http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-viewth ... r][br]Near, but not at the bottom, where he introduces the Fire guy.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Thanks a pile.

There was someone who I was talkign to saying that characters in Mage are as batshit loco as the wizards in D&D.

Which is possibly true, in that they can do the same things; but is untrue in that 40-400 Mage characters with half of an other 1 characters build points would probably kill him.

While 40-400 lvl 8 wizards probably could never kill a lvl 16 wizard, ever.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1172593546[/unixtime]]
While 40-400 lvl 8 wizards probably could never kill a lvl 16 wizard, ever.

I don't know about that... what about a barrage of dimensional anchors and orbs of force. Even if they only hit on a natural 20.

If it's like 100 level9 wizards, they quicken true strike each and fire off a force orb for a virtually guaranteed win.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

The game ends around 8-11th level. At that point, any spellcaster can kill anything else in the game with either large amounts of effort or small amounts of effort. The test comes from whether he can do it often enough per day to complete the current adventure before the plot gets away from him (for example, killing a dragon after he destroys the city isn't as good as doing it before). I mean, you can just have an adventure against eight 16th level Wizards and assume that you'll win if you have surprise and can take them one at a time, once a day.

Lamns Finger Darts and Greater Shivering Touch are just the one round auto-kill spells. Lesser Planar Binding and a few minutes to read through a few monster manuals can net you a few monsters who can get together and be assured of killing a powerful Wizard.

Of course, if that same Wizard knows you are coming he used Discern Location or a Crystal Ball to find you and Greater Planar Binding to send a Pit Fiend after you, you are toast.

But hey, thats the dangerous world of high level. Why do you think death needs to be so reversable?