Wizard PRCs

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Sententia
NPC

Wizard PRCs

Post by Sententia »

I'm currently running a 5th level wizard in a 3.5 Forgotten Realms campaign. A Deck of Many Things left me with four levels to gain at once. He's neutral good. Does anyone know any awesome wizard PRCs?
Cielingcat
Duke

Re: Wizard PRCs

Post by Cielingcat »

Incatatrix makes everyone cry, if you're into that.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Not so much in 3.5, but the 3.0 version does in fact reduce grown men to tears.

Harper Mage works kind of the same way.

Game on,
fbmf
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

After level 9, take a level of bard.

Then Sublime Chord.

Then Ultimate Magus.

You`ll have caster lvl of... 11 in bard, sub chord and wizard. I forget how, but that`s nifty.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Post by Iaimeki »

fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1172190313[/unixtime]]Not so much in 3.5, but the 3.0 version does in fact reduce grown men to tears.

This is a D&D urban myth: the 3.5 version of incantatrix is far more broken then 3.0 version. Metamagic effect allows you to make any spell you want Persistent provided you can cheese a skill check, which frankly isn't that hard. Cooperative metamagic lets you make other people's spells Persistent the same way, as well as abusing offensive metamagic stacking and things like Quickening other people's buffs. Finally, metamagic spell trigger lets you burn cash to cause massive carnage, letting you kill things way above your ECL with appropriate item choices.

In comparison, all the 3.0 incantatrix gets is some immunities that can be replicated with spells. Decent, but not outstanding.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Iaimeki at [unixtime wrote:1172198338[/unixtime]]
fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1172190313[/unixtime]]Not so much in 3.5, but the 3.0 version does in fact reduce grown men to tears.

This is a D&D urban myth: the 3.5 version of incantatrix is far more broken then 3.0 version. Metamagic effect allows you to make any spell you want Persistent provided you can cheese a skill check, which frankly isn't that hard. Cooperative metamagic lets you make other people's spells Persistent the same way, as well as abusing offensive metamagic stacking and things like Quickening other people's buffs. Finally, metamagic spell trigger lets you burn cash to cause massive carnage, letting you kill things way above your ECL with appropriate item choices.

In comparison, all the 3.0 incantatrix gets is some immunities that can be replicated with spells. Decent, but not outstanding.

Otherwise known as: fbmf, can I play in your games with a 3.5 incantatrix? Please? I mean, you don't think they're that bad...
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1172190313[/unixtime]]

Game on,
fbmf
Wizard 5 ... then segue into Harper Mage for 2 levels.

Then go into Unseen Seer and be sure to take the Practiced Spellcaster feat for the CL offset of non-Divination spells. The feat acquisition is not burdensome at all to a fleshed out build.

Unseen Seer + PS feat = No Downside + Lots of Awesome. Full SC Levels and skill ranks up the hoo-hah.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Where is Unseen Seer from?

Game On,
fbmf
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Complete Mage.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Iaimeki at wrote:

I have a hard time believing you on the 3.5 version in light of that comment.

The 3.0 version got to spelldance to actually infinite stats.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Post by Iaimeki »

Josh_Kablack at [unixtime wrote:1172368132[/unixtime]]
I have a hard time believing you on the 3.5 version in light of that comment.
The 3.0 version got to spelldance to actually infinite stats.

Are we talking about the same PrC? The spelldancer can stack Empower on the 3.0 versions of the 1+1d4 to a stat spells to get infinite stats.
erik
King

Post by erik »

A process made viable by synergy with the Incantatrix's metamagic reduction ability.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

clikml at [unixtime wrote:1172394078[/unixtime]]A process made viable by synergy with the Incantatrix's metamagic reduction ability.

It was viable already.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1172345730[/unixtime]]
fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1172190313[/unixtime]]

Game on,
fbmf
Wizard 5 ... then segue into Harper Mage for 2 levels.

Then go into Unseen Seer and be sure to take the Practiced Spellcaster feat for the CL offset of non-Divination spells. The feat acquisition is not burdensome at all to a fleshed out build.

Unseen Seer + PS feat = No Downside + Lots of Awesome. Full SC Levels and skill ranks up the hoo-hah.
Can you get into Unseen Seer as a Wizard5/Harper Mage2 ? unless I am missing some errata or some way to get it as a class skill, you can't get enough ranks in search.