Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Is this worth it?

Post by User3 »

Okay, so a potential campaign I may end up in offers the following race:
+4 Dex, -2 Str
40 ft movement
all the mechanical benefits of being small, no penalties (like powerful build but in reverse, with +AC, AB, etc)
plus low-light vision and the obligatory +2 listen.

The drawback? Playing as a catgirl. Worth it?
User3
Prince

Re: Is this worth it?

Post by User3 »

Oh yeah, I should add that it is, obviously, LA +0. :rolleyes:
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

That's a pretty hefty drawback there. If you're female (which you're not, since girls=/=internet), then I'd definitely say no; if male, probably no.

I mean sure, you get to be like the best Rogue ever, but you have to have some standards.

And this is from a guy with a cat as an avatar.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Who said you have to actually look like a catgirl?

Heck, you could be a lithely built furred humanoid.

Cats don't have sexual dimorphism the way that humans do.

You don't have to have to have breasts or 'look' female. Real cats don't after all.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Seems really powerful if you're playing a rogue or even a wizard. Effectively no drawbacks, and you're small with twice the dex bonus of the halfling and 40 ft movement. You lose the bonus to saves, which is kinda nice... but eh, I'd rather have the extra dex.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

RC: the question was not "is this worth it, mechanically", because it is obviously overpowered. I'm pretty sure the OP had that figured out.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Hellz yeah! I'd play with a catgirl for stats like that.
Wait...that didn't come out right...

Seriously, everyone I know doesn't really care that much. They look at the stats first, and come up with a story based on whatever race matches the stats they want. The only drawback is that the entire race is female(?), which might put a crimp in one of my player's styles...

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Possibilities:

1. The DM/group is unhealthily obsessed with catgirls. In this case stay away. Unless you're like a furry yourself, but in that case you wouldn't be asking.

2. The DM overpowers everything homebrew. In this case, it's probably safe, but you should look at the other homebrew options.

3. The DM/Group just finished watching Escaflowne or some similar anime. This is similar to option 1, but rather than an unhealthy obsession, it's likely just a passing infatuation, so if you can tolerate the first few sessions and play a serious character with a believable personality it should be worth it in the long run. Of course this is gambling that the game runs more than a few weeks, which is 50/50 most of the time.

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Josh_Kablack at [unixtime wrote:1172160254[/unixtime]]Possibilities:

1. The DM/group is unhealthily obsessed with catgirls. In this case stay away. Unless you're like a furry yourself, but in that case you wouldn't be asking.

This is why it is likely a bad idea to use this race. Though honestly, the problem comes not from the cat, but from the girl portion of the race. If you're female (again, no girls on the interweb), then playing a catgirl is a recipe for disaster. If you're male, it's not only a recipe for disaster, but likely (considering that it's a totally overpowered race of catgirls, the DM at least is probably less than mature) uncomfortable situations as well.

Oh, and catgirl=/=furry, and I have a chart to prove it. The proper term here, I believe, is "weeaboo".
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1172165089[/unixtime]]weeaboo

User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Essence at [unixtime wrote:1172159169[/unixtime]]The only drawback is that the entire race is female(?), which might put a crimp in one of my player's styles...

Nope. The males have a completely different stat block (powerful build, +str, etc).
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Look, there's a well-knwn difference between Furries and Cat Girls. Of course, this is using the 'anthropomorphic animal' definition of Furry, and not 'fan of animal or anthropomorphic characters'.

[counturl=45]Monster Girl Identification Chart (日本語)[/counturl] (Warning: Small, cartoon bare breasts)

No, in this chart, you can see furries are in the lower-left and cat-girls are on the upper-right. Clearly different.

-Crissa

(Now, if anyone could tell me what Bimyuu? means, I'm be able to translate the rest of it fine.)
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

My chart is better.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

This thread is pretty neat except for the last two replies which made me vomit.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

This is coming from an anthro lobster. :P

I'm going to echo flaprabbit, especially with the extreme sexual dimorphism you just let us in on. Sounds like a recipe for immature handling of sex with you as the butt of the joke.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

I personally don't see a problem. If you really have a dangerous feeling that you're going to be the target of crude jokes, talk to the DM about it, and if necessary, get him to agree to not pull that sort of thing. There, that simple. If he can't agree to it, why are you playing with him?