Hey, they made it official!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Hey, they made it official!

Post by User3 »

It's always nice to see house ruled stuff appear in the real books, and I've been running Staves this way for a long time:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070216a
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: Hey, they made it official!

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Damnit, I keep breaking that website. :(
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

The website is indeed down. However, such is no challenge with my mighty bitnine powers. Behold!

The short of it: runestaffs = attunable item (attune to one when preparing) that's the equivalent of 2-5 knowstones. I don't really think I can say anything bad about them, because they're gonna be golden for my current character. And it's on the preview page so I won't even have to get the book. (Kay, it says usually 2-5 and lists an example with 6.)

Example: Assassins, 12th level (greater invisibility,obscuring mist,pass without trace,poison) = 10,000 gp.

Note: Even though this is normally a bigger bennie to sorcerers, attunement can be done whenever preparing spells. Without a limiting clause, wizards get the extra mojo of leaving a slot unprepared for a 10-minute midday switch, which I bet they missed.

Formula not given, but looks to me that they cost between 1k/2k * total spell levels.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well, it's up now.

i should have thought of using the cached page, I use that feature so often when looking for specific word instances on search results that yield web forums or manuals.

It's interesting; but blows since I'm using a divine caster (Archivist) and I've gotten away from arcane casters. I'm sure there that are divine Runestaves though.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Holy shit, why did they make it so fvcking complicated?

It's a staff. Holding it lets you cast different spells using up your spell slots. Simple, right? Hellz no!

Using the staff negates the somatic component of the spells you cast, but doesn't negate Arcane Spell Failure. I don't even know how that works, since Arcane Spell Failure only applies to spells with somatic components and is story-wise justified as the somatic components being interfered with by the armor.

Ugh. It's a completely obvious idea that has been in use for like 7 years. Why they felt the need to throw down all those lame exceptions and counter-clauses I will not understand.

-Username17
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

Wait, I had missed the three times a day crap in there. Bah. So a wizard can carry duplicates and use his 10 minute prepare to hotsync in a fresh one and the sorcerer can't when his runs dry. That I don't care for.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Well, there's some excuse regarding the somatic component thing, as technically, you can't cast spells with somatic components while your hands are full, and there's even a feat that negates it... but practically, this rule is seldom if ever observed.

That being said, it's quite tainted with WotC-silliness; and there's no defending all that.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I want all of you girls to pick up your Player's Handbook and turn it to page 86, and read the first paragraph on the left-hand side.

Now consider this wisdom in light of an item that allows you to sacrifice a spell slot to be able to cast a specific arcane spell.

-Username17
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1171861522[/unixtime]]I want all of you girls to pick up your Player's Handbook and turn it to page 86, and read the first paragraph on the left-hand side.

Now consider this wisdom in light of an item that allows you to sacrifice a spell slot to be able to cast a specific arcane spell.

-Username17
Wow. The Lidda example makes it unimpeachable.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

What, you expected something intended for Sorcerers to not be better for everyone else?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Is the staff 3/day or each of the spells 3/day? I didn't quite get that part.

When I want a funny effect, I make it 3/day.

But... Why when preparing spells?

If they want wizards or sorcerors to know more spells, why don't they just add... More spells to the class?

-Crissa
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Because at will is brooookeeeeen!
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Well, you still have to "manipulate the staff" in order to fulfill the somatic requirement. I suppose that manipulating one's staff requires a certain amount of precision. We wouldn't one the staff pointing the wrong way when it blows, now would we?
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.