If you were going to make fun of D&D...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: If I was going to make fun of DnD

Post by RandomCasualty »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1171241026[/unixtime]]Isn't having a pocket full of magic gems that plug into your gear better than normal, un-swappable bonuses?

Yeah, especially at high levels when you can pay less by getting a true death crystal instead of buying a ghost touch weapon. If that wasn't good enough, you can also swap the crystal to other weapons weapons and attach your true death crystal to a weapon with already 10 pluses worth of enchantment without making it epic.

This crystal idea is exceedingly dumb. There was a reason magic items were priced exponentially instead of using linear cost. These crystals let you sneak in linear cost abilities for dirt cheap.
erik
King

Post by erik »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1171266714[/unixtime]]
This crystal idea is exceedingly dumb. There was a reason magic items were priced exponentially instead of using linear cost.

But wasn't that reason to screw fighter types in the pants, hard.

Having cheaper weapons is a laudable goal I'd think, considering how an often used quick-fix for fighters is to give them a priceless weapon artifact.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Just a note: Weapons have a geometric cost, not an exponential one.

That being said:
  • The Wealth-by-Level system doesn't work by the time you're considering upgrading a +3 Sword.
  • Weapons cost way too much.

However, with that having been said, this is a really shit idea. Seriously, these crystals are individually cheap, which means that they interact poorly with the Wish Economy. Since the cost is relatively low, you can apparently purchase upgrades to powerful weapons with non-magical trade goods in minor villages. And that's really unfortunate.

-Username17
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1171303817[/unixtime]]Just a note: Weapons have a geometric cost, not an exponential one.
Probably best to call it polynomial growth, since a lot of sources claim that geometric=exponential, which annoyed me when I discovered it, since I'd thought it was geometric, too.
Interested2
NPC

Post by Interested2 »

Interestingly, if you look at the wealth-by-level charts, it seems they use different formulas for level 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, etc. It's been a while since I figured them out, but I want to say it alternates between geometric and a power curve.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1171303817[/unixtime]]Just a note: Weapons have a geometric cost, not an exponential one.

Yeah, that's true. I used the wrong word. For some reason I always want to call it an exponential increase, even though I know it isn't and I'm not sure why.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, if peasants can have magical crystals that make their swords actually useful, I'm not sure that's bad.

...But aside from that, the crystals are obviously a superior choice to any other enchantment.

-Crissa
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

If you wanted crystals you'd actually want to set them up opposite to the way WotC did. As WotC set it up, you can only attach bigger crystals to better weapons. Well, if crystals are linear cost, you should only be able to attach them to crappy weapons.

So you can take some crystal and strap it on a nonenchanted morning star, but you don't want people cheaply augmenting a +5 vorpal blade.

Doing that also means that crystals are going to be a lower level thing and high level guys will ditch their crystals gradually as they get better crap.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1171324661[/unixtime]]If you wanted crystals you'd actually want to set them up opposite to the way WotC did. As WotC set it up, you can only attach bigger crystals to better weapons. Well, if crystals are linear cost, you should only be able to attach them to crappy weapons.

The advantage of doing it as it is currently done is to keep the Wish Economy in place. Of course, I'm not sure that the cost ramps up enough.

Because you can only ever use one crystal per weapon, it's a lot like letting an archer have his quiver of Bane arrows: A (relatively) inexpensive situational upgrade which a player will swap around.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a special 'socketed' weapon or weapon enhancement which lets a character use three at a time.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1171389187[/unixtime]]
I'll be surprised if there isn't a special 'socketed' weapon or weapon enhancement which lets a character use three at a time.

Whose to say there isn't?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

If that happens, there will be a flood of Final Fantasy 7 characters with these socketed weapons.

*head begins to hurt*
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
NineInchNall
Duke

Re: If you were going to make fun of D&D...

Post by NineInchNall »

And the crystals will then determine whether you have the ability to cast spells and which spells you can cast and ... Yay! Balance through complete and total sameness.

Fucking retarded monkeys, I say.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Speaking of FF7, what makes retarded emo teenagers latch on more to Sepiroth than any other stupid jrpg character?

OH YEAH HE WAS A CLONE OF A SPACE VIRUS I FEEL SUCH KINSHIP
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I think it's how effeminate he is.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1171483198[/unixtime]]Speaking of FF7, what makes retarded emo teenagers latch on more to Sepiroth than any other stupid jrpg character?

OH YEAH HE WAS A CLONE OF A SPACE VIRUS I FEEL SUCH KINSHIP

It is worst than that, he is just a guy who thinks that he is the child of a space virus, because he was injected with its cells.

So in nutshell he thinks he is badass because he was injected with the superflu.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

FF7 was the beginning of the end for FF. FF3/6 was the last great FF game before the series lost itself in fan service.

(If we're not counting FF Tactics. Woooo.)
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

]
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Sounds like a nasty DM
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Even invokes the Oberoni Fallacy.

Sigh..."The rules aren't broken if we don't follow them!"

Ya think?
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Isn'the Oberoni fallacy, like, 5 years old now? Ugh I wish they tested new WizO's on these things.

edit: Ugh he has latin in his sig.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

My Latin quote is better.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

]