If you were going to make fun of D&D...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

If you were going to make fun of D&D...

Post by Username17 »

...wouldn't you write this:

Within this tome you'll find over 1,000 of the best magic items created for the Dungeons & Dragons® game, including hundreds of new low-cost items. In addition, this supplement contains rules for augment crystals, which grant new abilities to existing magic items, and item sets, which provide collection benefits when you have all the items in a set. This tome also presents new and improved rules for item creation, an updated treasure generation system, and more!

Seriously guys, what the fvcking fvck? Did we not rip off Diablo II enough recently? Did we need to plumb the depths of.... argh.

Note to self: Must complete Book of Gears before March.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Re: If you were going to make fun of D&D...

Post by User3 »

That's terrible. At least that "craft magic item set" feat makes sense now. :<
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

This would be hilariously funny if it weren't true.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Eh. While this is rather idiotic, you can't really claim they are copying Diablo II, since they had similar items going back as far as the Eye and Hand of Vecna. Well, on the sets at least.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
User3
Prince

If I was going to make fun of DnD

Post by User3 »

Id link this
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Re: If I was going to make fun of DnD

Post by Endovior »

Ack. That's really silly.

Please do get Book of Gears out right away... the vast amount of crappy supplements coming out actually hurts, but quality work like yours eases the pain.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Which book are we makin fun of?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Guys, how many HR is an eth 3 OS Luckblade worth these days? :rolleyes:
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

S>Zod'ed Ethreal Sword of Kas
B>5 Luckblades or 1 Anti-Magic Torc

Actually, I'll be honest.

When my friend bought the collecter's ed. of Diablo II that came bundled with a tabletop RPG to play with your freinds offline, I thought that was pretty cool.

It was cooler when it's D&D doing the mechanics, since I at least somewhat recognized the system and how it worked.

And seriously, where do you people think that Whirlwind Attack came from? Barbs baby.

Although, it took Kieth and Frank to make the feat work at all; and actually it now works a lot like it does in the game (although, you should probably grab a polearm, pick up Blitz for bonus damage and Hordebreaker to get the number of 'attacks' that Whirlwind tends to give you in D2) .

Edit:

I was just writing about low-powered intelligent items as part of a fighter's Golf Bag and I just realized something...

If I wanted to make a 'magic-finding' character; could I make, like.... an (cleric) archivist who, casts Enlarge Person and then Girallon's blessing and wields (4) 6 intelligent shortswords with 10 Ranks in Search each?

That's, like (5) 7 times as much searching rolls every round; you'd find the loot on monsters before anyone else would.

Huh, huh?

Edit: there's no strikeout command here, is there?
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Judging__Eagle wrote:If I wanted to make a 'magic-finding' character; could I make, like.... an (cleric) archivist who, casts Enlarge Person and then Girallon's blessing and wields (4) 6 intelligent shortswords with 10 Ranks in Search each?

That's, like (5) 7 times as much searching rolls every round; you'd find the loot on monsters before anyone else would.

Huh, huh?

But in D&D there isn't a chance monsters have a magic item or not, it's determined by the DM. So the only way to get a better magic find is to get on your knees and start sucking.

Unless you're talking about Diablo PnP, because I'm not familiar with those rules. Though I leafed through it once, and CR 1/4-1 monsters with DR 15/+1 are pretty cool. :roundnround:
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1169739519[/unixtime]]
Judging__Eagle wrote:If I wanted to make a 'magic-finding' character; could I make, like.... an (cleric) archivist who, casts Enlarge Person and then Girallon's blessing and wields (4) 6 intelligent shortswords with 10 Ranks in Search each?

Huh, huh?

But in D&D there isn't a chance monsters have a magic item or not, it's determined by the DM. So the only way to get a better magic find is to get on your knees and start sucking.

Unless you're talking about Diablo PnP, because I'm not familiar with those rules. Though I leafed through it once, and CR 1/4-1 monsters with DR 15/+1 are pretty cool. :roundnround:

Well, apparently, there's a magical item generator you can DL from that linked site above that has all kinds of wierd magical item stuff.

There's about 1 million possible items and it's all 2e, but you could use it in a 3.0/3.5 game.

As for loot; I dunno; if you get a .... oh, I know.

When you get magical items: minor/medium/major translate into normal/nightmare/hell items.

So, if you roll on the treasure table for a medium item for a CR 7 treasure, you roll Nightmare, level 7 and get the result.

You could abstract the gold and use half of an items listed gold value to detemine rewarded gold.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1169737117[/unixtime]]
And seriously, where do you people think that Whirlwind Attack came from?

1st edition Oriental Adventures Kensai.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1169769535[/unixtime]]
Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1169737117[/unixtime]]
And seriously, where do you people think that Whirlwind Attack came from?

1st edition Oriental Adventures Kensai.

Seriously? Cool.

How did it work back then?

Were you able to move and attack people as you ran past or did you have to go somewhere and then you could attack everyone around you on your next round?

dbb
Knight

Post by dbb »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1169770405[/unixtime]]
How did it work back then?

Were you able to move and attack people as you ran past or did you have to go somewhere and then you could attack everyone around you on your next round?

You were permitted to attack everyone within 10 feet of you (note: AD&D used 10' squares as the default indoors, 10 /yard/ squares outdoors) once, and you could do this once per day, period. The whole thing was rather vaguely phrased and open to interpretation, but, as it did not specifically forbid you from moving and using the power in the same round, most people read it as allowing you to do that, within the normal constraints of (primitive) AD&D movement rules.

Interestingly enough, the ability as written also did not specifically state that using it replaced all of your normal attacks, so it was entirely possible to read it as being in addition to them. Most people didn't read it as allowing that, though.

--d.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

It may just be worse than we thought: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070209a
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Wow, Greater Magic Weapon makes for a major idealogical fail.

Also, that Restful crystal is effectively slotless. It's not like you're going to leave it in your armor once you wake up.

It's also strange how they describe the 'crystal' as if it was a single item which would scale with your level, while it's actuallt three seperate items which won't work for you at all until you can get the requisite enhancement bonus.
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

Not only that, but in several of the examples given, the Lesser crystal has abilities that the Greater version doesn't have.
For example, the Least Arrow Deflection crystal gives you +2 AC vs ranged attacks, the Lesser one gives +5 AC vs range attacks, and the Greater one gives you +2 AC vs ranged attacks, and use of the Deflect Arrows feat.

Personally, I'd probably grab the Lesser crystal and say fvck no to the greater version, since that extra +3 AC works against ranged touch attacks, which Deflect Arrows does nothing for.

And what's the deal with "Least" "Lesser" and "Greater"? Why not call it Lesser, Moderate, Greater?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Probably to show the levels of suck that each one possesses.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I'm seeing true death crystals....

and the Greater one is cheaper than making Deathslayers Bracers (Deathstrike 1/round), a lot cheaper.

Plus, non rogues will pick one up since now they can crit undead.

Also, you could have one for plants and constructs that act the same was as the Truedeath crystals do.

Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I have no doubt that they have a seperate writeup for the "truevine" and "truesteel" that is just as long as the Truedeath one. Actually, it is likely longer, as they shall have to mention some advice that tells you that it works like the Truedeath crystal.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Probably.

In any case, it seems that every single custom item that I've written up in the past is actually worse and less broken than what WoTC themselves will release.

Joy.

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Isn't having a pocket full of magic gems that plug into your gear better than normal, un-swappable bonuses?

-Crissa
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

1) not if it makes the game less fun

2) not if it turns interesting choices into uninteresting ones

3) not if it is lame (subtly different from #1)
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Crissa meant from a pure powergaming sense, I'm certain.

The answer is obviously "yes".