Starting Shadowrun

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OrionAnderson
1st Level

Starting Shadowrun

Post by OrionAnderson »

I bought Shadowrun Fourth Edition a few weeks ago, and I do love the system, for the most part.

In thinking of running it, though, I have come across a few problems I wanted a consultation on.

1: What genius came up with initiative passes as a mechanic, and what purpose are they intended to serve? It seems broken in every possible way: stupidly powerful, clunky to play, messes up turn order -- is there any reason this mechanic shouldn't just be shot?

2: I'd probably be the Storyteller, as the most experienced gamer among my friends. And one trepidation I have is that adventure design seems like a real nightmare. For a basic break-and-enter mission, I need maps and stats for the building itself, then the matrix, and then the astral as well? Plus, since secrecy is supposed to be important, I need SWAT temas and other extra security to potentially call in.

I'm looking at statting out four distinct sets of opposition, which seems a little bit ridiculous--especially when I don't know the system well.

Are there good premade adventures somewhere for starting characters (and starting players)? Preferably free or at least inexpensive? That wya I'd at least have an idea of what a run is supposed ot look like.