Spammers

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Neeek
Knight-Baron

Spammers

Post by Neeek »

Hey. Is there anyway you can block guest posting on posts over a certain age or some such(like no new posts for a month) or is that beyond the capabilities of the board software? That would allow us to keep guest posting while stopping the dickheads.
Maj
Prince

Re: Spammers

Post by Maj »

That's a bit advanced for the board software...
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I must agree with my colleague.

Game On,
fbmf
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Then how about just locking *every* thread over a certain age, and having people request unlocks if they want to re-open the thread?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

That strikes me as a collosal pain in the ass for me and Ramnza and horribly inconvenient for members who want to ressurect old threads.

Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

Game On,
fbmf
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

From my lovely experience with this over at Nifty... You have two problems.

1) The spammers start new threads.

2) The spammers reply to old ones (I don't know that old is a prerequisite, though).

Overall, a few spam posts every few days was handle-able-ish. Then we had the day of 45+ posts of Italian spam and it just got to be too much.

Overall, given the recent experiences at Nifty, banning guest posting was the most effective way of putting an end to the problem, but here on the Gaming Den, guest posting is much more crucial. Quite frankly, the idea of locking all the posts on the boards would probably work, but I'm not sure that dealing with the problem that way is any better than just deleting the spam.

This problem sucks. And Bbboy seems completely incapable of dealing with it. And there's no real authority to appeal to for help. It just leaves the constant feeling of being screwed... In a bad way.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Personally, if you and Ramnza are cool with the situation, then just go with the flow. Don't create more work for yourself than necessary. Personally, I don't think that it has hit this board that bad, and it still would be nice to have Guests be able to reply. However, you're probably have a better idea than I in that regard. And if a Guest wants to resurrect a thread, that's cool - I know it legitimately happens from time to time.
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ramnza »

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We like the idea of having guests reply and view our threads, so we'll keep on doing what we got to do.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Cool.

And keep sending the penile enlargement ones my way .... uhm, I mean ... keep up the good job.

(Now where's the door around here when you need one ...)

:D
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Just a note, do not click the links. The company will track exactly where people are coming from. Even one click out of thousands of spams is enough to make it worth their while. The last thing we need is them getting the idea that spamming here generates traffic for their business.
Incarnadine
1st Level

Post by Incarnadine »

FYI that it's also throwing off the "Last post in" when we get rid of the spam. The thread we killed the spam off in may show up as the most recently posted in, even if there's something more recent in one of the other threads in that section. Not sure if it's session-dependent (i.e. it's only broken if you log in while it's being fixed) or incorrect until someone else posts something in the board and trumps the former spam.

If you click on the envelope indicator or the Last Unread, though, that should still be correct.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Spammer in Dungeonomicon.
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

Spammers in a boatload of IMHO threads.