Book of 9 swords review

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

NineInchNall
Duke

Re: Book of 9 swords review

Post by NineInchNall »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1166234276[/unixtime]]And that, NineInchNails, is why Crusaders suck and you don't.

And you, sir, even though I disagree with you, are awesome. :thumb:
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

NineInchNall at [unixtime wrote:1167424118[/unixtime]]
Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1166234276[/unixtime]]And that, NineInchNails, is why Crusaders suck and you don't.

And you, sir, even though I disagree with you, are awesome. :thumb:

I think it's b/c almost everyon here is awesome at something.

Me, I'm awesome at never being able to choose anything. I made a phasm 8/warshaper4/(Frank&K's) fighter 5 PC for a 'monster' game b/c I couldn't decide on a giant or anything else.

While some here are awesome at you know, awesome things.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

I've been reading the Crusader's progression chart and it's been making me rather confused.

If I am understanding it correctly, at 1st level you get 5 non-stance maneuvers from 3 disciplines and one stance from the same.

These three disciplines have a grand total of 6 non-stance maneuvers. Two of which(Leading the Attack and Vanguard Strike) are identical, expect Leading the Attack is a morale bonus and better as a prereq. Consequently, you can effectively take every possible maneuver available to you. Not that you would, since having both of those is probably better than some of your other options. In any event, you are really choosing "which maneuver do I not want to have?" rather than actually choosing what you want to have.

Moving on, at 2nd level you get another Stance. This is okay, but you haven't gain access to any new stance yet, so you are now choosing your second-choice stance from the previous stance choices(which may not be a problem, since Leading the Charge is mostly crap at 1st but gets better over time).

Now the really weird stuff is most regarding the Devoted Spirit discipline. Specifically that one because it is Crusader-only, so you'd think it'd be designed based on the Crusader's advancement. Yeah. Uh. Not really.

After 2nd level, Crusaders get their next stance at 8th level, at which point they can take 4th level stances (and would have been able to at 7th). There are no 4th level stances, not even in the Crusader's unique discipline. So they can take a 3rd level stance that would have become available to them 3 levels ago, had they been given a stance at that level.

But wait there's more. Crusaders get their 4 and final stance at 14th level, when they can get up to 7th level stances (and, again, could have the previous level). There is exactly 1 7th level stance. And it's not in-discipline for Crusaders. So they take one of the 6th level ones that they could have gotten at 11th if they'd gotten a stance then.

And that's the last stance they get. But wait! Devoted Spirit has a 8th level stance called Immortal Fortitude. Since neither of the other two base class can access this discipline, you basically have a class feature that is impossible for *anyone* to get without a feat unless they multiclass.

For some reason, they decided to make a Crusader that starts off Fighter 2(2 levels grant one level towards maneuvers, so at 10th, they can take 5th level stances, and at 16th take 8th level stances, which is where the new stances end up) have their class features more appropriately place than a straight crusader. Going further along these lines, we also encounter the whole epic level problem. A Fighter20/Crusader20 is much, much better than the reverse (this, I believe, is true for all three martial adept classes, however), because the former get to take 6th level or lower maneuvers for their entire roster of starting maneuvers. Heck, they can end up with one 6th level maneuver and everything else 7th and above if they like, and the 6th is only because there are only 13 maneuvers available to them 7th and above, while they end up with 14.

Sigh. Oh well.