I hate idiots who don't think about what they're saying.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Immortius
1st Level

Re: I hate idiots who don't think about what they're saying.

Post by Immortius »

I saw nothing at all in either of the two games to suggest heartless get DR or Regeneration. Heartless and Nobodies are immune to Sora's wooden sword and Roxas' nerf bat but that is all. Even Simba's claws work fine.

Normal heartless aren't very threatening, and I would have no issue with town garrisons beating them off in direct combat. What makes them dangerous is that there are lots of them, they can telelport out anywhere (such as in the middle of those unarmed villagers hidden away in ye olde bunker), and they can destroy worlds if they manage to find the door to the world's heart.

This means that NPCs can defend most the people while the heroes go off to battle whatever villain and/or heartless bosses are searching for the world door.

The grapple thing comes from pretty much nowhere as well, heartless just turn anyone they kill into heartless from what I could see. Although only one person ever gets turned into a heartless by another heartless on screen.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

So... Heartless are immune to subdual damage. 'kay.

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I haven't played KH2, but I distinctly remember killing heartless with Sora's wooden swordin KH1.

It's just very difficult to do so when you use it again later in the game, because by then heartless have so much HP, and plus your ally tends to kill stuff too quickly.

Edit: Yeah, Arioch plays Kingdom Hearts. Screw you assholes, it's a fun game.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

Quick thread necromancy:

"With enough practice in her abilities, a Mediator learns to recognize the tactics used in negotiations and learns to overcome them. At 5th level, a Mediator is immune to any language-based effects targetting them, including Word Skills and word-dependant spells (i.e. Holy Word)."

That's a level 5 ability. How in the hell is that balanced? "You won't run into high level casters!"

"Those spells suck, who cares if I can negate them!"

"Other classes are immunet o those spells!"

And this lovely 1st level ability:

The Mediator invites the foe to change their way and fight for the party. As a standard action, the Mediator may attempt to invite an ememy with HD equal or less than that of the Mediator whithin 30 feet to fight on the party's side. The target must suceed a Will save (DC 10+ 1/2 Mediator Level+ Cha Mod), or are charmed as a Charm spell for the approiate creature type. At the end of the encounter, the Mediator may choose to attempt to talk the invited target into becomming a cohort as per the Leadership feat provided the target fails another will save at the end of combat. If the target succeds the Will save, they kindly refuse the offer and leave, remaining friendly towards the party for 24 hours before returning to normal.

... I'm beginning to wonder about this channel I sit in.
Imban
Apprentice

Post by Imban »

Yes, that's probably better than a first-level ability has a right to be, but it's Charm, not Dominate. You're only getting a 4th-level spell at will, not a 9th-level spell. (:P) That feature should probably improve with levels or something.

Also, as far as language-dependent things (and other things so named), this is a blanket immunity to... Geas, Suggestion, Command, Enthrall, and assumedly the Holy Word line since it's specifically listed regardless of not being language-dependent.

Of those I care about the Holy Word line, and don't mind that I get it at level 5. At all.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

My big problem with that ability is that "word" spells aren't a category of spells. I assume they mean "Blasphemy and power word: stun", buit that's not language based.

Those spells are all [Sonic], but so is sound burst. Honestly I have no idea what they think they are doing.

-Username17
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

The real issue is the first level ability is normally done via Diplomacy. Then Charm. It's replacing a skill.
Imban
Apprentice

Post by Imban »

What? Charm isn't a skill either.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Imban at [unixtime wrote:1168897982[/unixtime]]What? Charm isn't a skill either.

But it uses a skill - it use Diplomacy. Technically the charm person line of spells causes creatures to become Friendly (see Influencing NPC Attitudes, p. 73), and the Influencing NPC attitudes section is in the Diplomacy skill. So really what charm monster does is to push enemies up the diplomacy table and give you a Diplomacy retest.

Giving a special mechanic for how Charm interacts with Diplomacy is not only unneccessary - it's confusing.

-Username17
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

.. I was saying it was replacing Diplomacy as a skill.