Summary of Thought: Boosting certain kinds of spellcasting.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Tokorona
Journeyman

Summary of Thought: Boosting certain kinds of spellcasting.

Post by Tokorona »

As of now, I'm currently working on a new Paladin class, since I don't really like Caedrus's or the Core Paladin, nor do I like the Crusader (Bo9S) ver.

I've gotten the class written up, before I realize, I hadn't touched the spelllist. This means I probably have to come back up and fix the class, but.. that's not what came from this summary.

So, I had three thoughts. Bonus Spells, Cantrips and Casterlevels, as well as Paladin Spell Lists

Bonus Spells
Did you notice you get no extra cantrips based on your casting stat? It's rather funny, in my opinion, as most cantrips coem no where near being overly helpful late in game (but I could be wrong). As such, I wonder if rewriting the tales to give additional bonus spells..

Cantrips
Does anyone care at higher levels if you cast cantrips near infnitly? I'm pondering this as an idea if you think the first one (letting bonus spells apply to Cantrips) is a really weak idea.

Casterlevels

It's kinda clear that low CL's are bad. Many of us don't take PrC's as a caster that don't give them, they take away from our schtick. The Paladin's spells are a good case in point, for example. 1/2 CL really hurts it on any spell that's going to matter against the enemy, and I'm of the opinion they should just get their class level - 3. (Something I'm putting in the redone Paladin)

Paladin Spell List's

Rapid Analysis wrote:
Bull's Strength Pal 2 Clr 2
+4 to STR, Enhancement. 1min/level
Char L Pal: 9 Cler: 3

PROBLEMS: By level 9, a +2 to STR based checks on anyone is only mildly helpful nevermind the cleric has been doing this for longer (and has 5 uses > 1 )Bull's Strength Pal 2 Clr 2
+4 to STR, Enhancement. 1min/level
Char L Pal: 9(assuming Wis 12+) Cler: 3. But the big difficulty is the type of bonus. [Enhancement] where most meleeists have bought items that boost Str.

.. this sorta exemplfies it. When one class gets a spell, it seriously shouldn't be something that another class does earlier and sorta irrelevant at the level you get it at . To this end, I have to ask. Why?
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Re: Summary of Thought: Boosting certain kinds of spellcasti

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I'd just make class and caster level equal. I don't see that overpowering anything.
Immortius
1st Level

Re: Summary of Thought: Boosting certain kinds of spellcasti

Post by Immortius »

Paladins basically have a cleric cohort stitched onto them, without the coolness factor of literally having a cohort stitched onto them.