Designing the perfect Caster class

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

The_Matthew
Apprentice

Re: Designing the perfect Caster class

Post by The_Matthew »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1163716550[/unixtime]]
It may make you feel better that your spell duration appears to be in scientific units, but you can't measure with a clock while the game is going on. Time passes entirely relative to how fast the DM wants it to pass, because there is no rigid time structure. In fact, the DM doesn't even have to tell you how much game time has passed for any given action.

So yeah, a spell might last 5 minutes as a fixed timeframe, and you ight know that 5 minutes equals 50 rounds, but outside of combat, a minute means whatever the hell the DM wants it to mean. And that effectively means that your codified spell duration also becomes meaningless.

Yes, but there is some level of being able to call "bulshit" on the DM as far as that level of arbitrary decision. I mean, the GM can't just arbitrarally decide to take away you 8 hour long buff because he decided to, there has to be a reasonable explination as to why 8 hours passed, this is because the rules are used in attempt to stop both sides, player and GM, from being total jerks. Your system turns around and says that the GM can be a complete jerk again, and the rules will back them up.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

The_Matthew at [unixtime wrote:1163718400[/unixtime]]
Yes, but there is some level of being able to call "bulshit" on the DM as far as that level of arbitrary decision. I mean, the GM can't just arbitrarally decide to take away you 8 hour long buff because he decided to, there has to be a reasonable explination as to why 8 hours passed, this is because the rules are used in attempt to stop both sides, player and GM, from being total jerks.

Sure, they can call bullshit on something ridiculous, but what about minute/level durations? 10 minutes, 20 minutes? That's entirely DM control and it means a world of difference for a lot of buffs.

Your system turns around and says that the GM can be a complete jerk again, and the rules will back them up.

It's much easier to call bullshit in my system than it is for nitpicking whether it took 5 minutes to loot the bodies or 10. I mean, if the DM won't let you cast buffs and you're acting in rounds, you can call bullshit. If the DM has your buffs end and the current combat is still going on, then you can call bullshit. I just don't see the potential for DM abuse.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Shouldn't we fork this thread into something else? The current discussion is more about authoritarian GMs and midget fighting than caster design.

(URL removed, link no longer works)
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

RC wrote:Ok, so how is determining non-combat time fall under "Defined rules" at all. I mean, that's totally and completely arbitrary and yet you guys put on blinders when it comes to that.

Arbitrary time outside of combat is BAD.

Its not BAD simply because its arbitrary, its BAD because some parts of the system, among other things durations, pretend its not.

Because an arbitrary thing like that is not a hard limitation or firm guarantee and durations pretend it is. That sucks big fat balls.

Your plan to solve this is to make combat time ALSO become utterly arbitrary but STILL pretend durations are solid intuitive fact?

WRONG ANSWER.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Shadowrun has the best system for buffs in the history of ever.

Each time a spellcaster has another spell running, it imposes a penalty to their rolls. It becomes a tradeoff. Yes, you can suddenly fly and see in the dark but then suddenly your dice pool is reduced to half or a third of what it was.

We could do something like that for D&D. Buffs (or any spell with a duration) last indefinitely, but it has an ongoing tradeoff until you get rid of it. It might not even be a tradeoff that takes a character out of combat. For example, if you want to sex your party up with Bull's Strength, you'll take a -5 penalty to speed for every two people with the spell. If you want to have Divine Power running, it'll penalize you -3 to saves. If you want to have Holy Aura running, it'll penalize you -1 to spellcaster level. If you want to have illusions going on, it'll take away from your save DCs.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I don't necessarily want a system like that, but if it existed I'd be kewl with just a cumulative -1 to caster level per buff until eventually you can't cast spells at all if you have an effective CL of zero.

Game On,
fbmf
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Shadowrun has the best system for buffs in the history of ever.

Yeah.

We could do something like that for D&D. Buffs (or any spell with a duration) last indefinitely, but it has an ongoing tradeoff until you get rid of it.

That has promise.

For example, if you want to sex your party up with Bull's Strength, you'll take a -5 penalty to speed for every two people with the spell. If you want to have Divine Power running, it'll penalize you -3 to saves.

That's where you lost me. The Shadowrun penalties system works because you get the cumulative penalties to skill checks - which is pretty much anything you do in Shadowrun. If each Buff had an arbitrary penalty you'd end up with two virtually inevitable occurances:
  1. The penalties of some buffs would be to things that your character didn't ever do (for example: attack rolls for a Wizard, Knowledge Checks for a Druid, whatever), which is just like free power because it's free power.
  2. The penalties of some buffs would happen to be to the same thing as the bonuses of other buffs, leading eventually to people figuring out how to perform the Triangle Trade of buff casting to be improved all the time at everything.

If you're going to perform a buufs = penalties system, you need to have a penalty that people are automatically going to notice and which accumulates to something intractible if you have more than a few running. Unfortunately, that requires a major overhaul of D&D. As things stand, there are:
  • Wizards who never roll dice. Seriously, all of their combat spells are based on opponents gettings saves (or not), and they don't roll attacks or checks to use any of their abilities ever.
  • Wizards who never use their Caster Level. If all your spells are "Spell Resistance: No." then you only need your caster level for level dependent effects. Some spells have no level dependent effects.

-Username17
SirWayne
1st Level

Post by SirWayne »

What about negative levels? One of those penalties-- even if it's not the -1 caster level or attack bonus, at least the -5 hit points-- would probably be noticeable, and it's not too hard to keep track of.

I do like Shadowrun's drain system, and something like that for D&D would be cool (I mean, spell slots aren't even a cost... I've never seen a mage after about level 5 or so ever run out), but like Frank pointed out it's hard to work something like that into D&D.

Or maybe we could combine the two... mages getting a small number of spell slots and then taking "drain" when they recharge them (a la maneuvers)? I mean, if "drain" was like fbmf's caster level penalty, but that penalty reduced your spell slots and highest spell levels accordingly until you rested and get them back, that's a big deal.

I don't see drain penalties for continuous effects (like buffs) being entirely necessary, though; it seems like it'd be easier to use another fix, like nerfing them into the ground, or making them not stack (which is what I do; soulmelds, spells, psionics, etc. all provide a "magic" bonus that stacks with mundane stuff but not with other supernatural abilities, and the bonus types have been cut down too). I mean, monsters come with their buffs built in; this isn't a big deal unless PC buffs are on the level of 3.0 Haste (and I was never convinced that it was that broken anyway, but that's another discussion...).
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I feel like I'm just repeating the same thing again and again. Because I am. But seriously, if you want a caster to feel the pain of too many buffs up, you make him use his class abilities to use those buffs. You can call it whatever you like: Mana, spell slots, sauerbraten, whatever.

You don't need to create various penalties which the caster may or may not feel (although you can do that if you like). Not being able to use the spell slot being used for Divine Power to cast Implode is enough.

Say a character has two spell slots. He can use them both to prebuff with Fly and Divine Power, and then use a generic (slotless) ranged attack like 'I fire my arrows.' He could use one of them to fly and one to cast Implode every round. Or he could use one for Divine Power and one for Righteous Smite and do some wicked melee damage. Or he could use both for Implode, and collapse two save-failers a round. The point is, he can't do everything at once, and that's balanced.

If you've got the idea already and are just ignoring it, feel free to tell me to shut up after you tell me why you don't think this is a solution.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Catharz wrote:Say a character has two spell slots. He can use them both to prebuff with Fly and Divine Power, and then use a generic (slotless) ranged attack like 'I fire my arrows.' He could use one of them to fly and one to cast Implode every round. Or he could use one for Divine Power and one for Righteous Smite and do some wicked melee damage. Or he could use both for Implode, and collapse two save-failers a round. The point is, he can't do everything at once, and that's balanced.

The problem is that no game actually works like that.

People have reasonable limits on what they can do each round. So the command "I fire my arrows" is not firing all of the arrows, it's firing some specific and finite number of arrows each round until they are all gone.

That's the way it's always been, in every game ever, and it's going to stay that way. People don't have MetalStorm technology in a fantasy setting, and that's just as well.

Which means that when you have a spelll sauerbraten that ccould be what is essentially an upgrade to your arrows, you don't benefit from having more than a small number. And the number you benefit from will be dependent upon the amount of arrows you'd be able to put out - which will vary depending upon the game system, but more importantly will vary based on the specific amount of combat you happen to run through in your game.

Magic slots which could be used for attacks or buffs are inherently unbalanced, because the number of attacks you take is a finite variable that is not the same in different campaigns. You are by definition trading bullets from the bottom of your clip to power bonuses that you are benefitting from now, and will continue to benefit from for the rest of combat. And sometimes you'll need six shots and sometimes seven, do you feel lucky?

You can have a balanced system of slots where everything is a buff (the "I fly" buff or the "I shoot flaming arrows" buff), or you can have a balanced system of slots in which your spells are all instantaneous effects (The "fire ball" attack or the "blind enemies" defense) - but you can't possibly have a balanced system where some slots are attacks and other slots are duration buffs. The very idea is preposterous.

-Username17
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

You can have a balanced system of slots where everything is a buff (the "I fly" buff or the "I shoot flaming arrows" buff), or you can have a balanced system of slots in which your spells are all instantaneous effects (The "fire ball" attack or the "blind enemies" defense) - but you can't possibly have a balanced system where some slots are attacks and other slots are duration buffs. The very idea is preposterous.

Why is it preposterous? The only possible explanation I managed to concieve of is "buffs stack, attacks do not", which means that unless you have exactly the right number of slots, one or the other is better, and they are never mixed.

Put again, it is either it is better to have variety in your attack spells, or it is best to spend all you spots on buffs and use your regular attack. Unless of course, you make some buff or attack that is uber, and everyone takes, which means balance is screwed anyway. Or you have buffs that improve your spells, which is on tenuous ground.

Magic slots which could be used for attacks or buffs are inherently unbalanced, because the number of attacks you take is a finite variable that is not the same in different campaigns.

I see, but one could design a *system* around a fixed number of attacks. This is not hard. Make it 1 or 2, or something; 10 if you feel like rolling a lot of dice. Also, you could make buffs last all day, and avoid the duration game completely. Then you are trading potential attacks for power, and therefore when you run out of ammo, you have something to fall back on.
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Post by Iaimeki »

AlphaNerd at [unixtime wrote:1163963020[/unixtime]]I see, but one could design a *system* around a fixed number of attacks. This is not hard. Make it 1 or 2, or something; 10 if you feel like rolling a lot of dice. Also, you could make buffs last all day, and avoid the duration game completely. Then you are trading potential attacks for power, and therefore when you run out of ammo, you have something to fall back on.

This is actually what D&D does, and it fails, badly. D&D calls it "number of encounters per day," and it has so many problems it's hard to summarize them all. One is the rope trick/teleport nonsense, which is a metagaming contest between the DM and the players: the DM, to keep in line with the system's notion of balance, has to make sure they have the right number of encounters in the day, but players have a strong incentive to do everything they can to avoid encounters, because it makes them stronger. (Much, much stronger, in the case of casters.) Subsidiary to this you create tension when the players have different incentives in the system. (This is also known as the "fighter rests when the cleric says rest" problem.) Another is lack of pacing variation: DMs can't plot games with many fewer or many more than the "correct" number of encounters, because then game balance breaks down. Another is the absence of tolerance for differences in gaming styles, since again, the balance breaks down if you don't have the Goldilocks amount of combat. Another is that certain sensible effects, like Persistent Spell, can't be balanced easily if at all because they break the rules on encounters per day; so you can't add them. (Or if you disregard that and do anyways like D&D has, you destroy balance.)

Systems that rely on knowing the number of attacks you make are brittle. D&D is really a perfect example of why and how.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

First, about penalty based casting:

Penalty based casting doesn't work in D&D as it does in Shadowrun for the reasons Frank mentioned, as well as the following:

Buff based casting is based around the combat expertise and pwoer attack premise. That is you're trading skill in one area of combat for power in another. So you boost initiatve by lowering your accuracy, or increase your damage at the cost of your HP. This works in Shadowrun since you don't have fighter classes and wizard classes, everyone has relatively close stats. But simply trading out attack for damage or AC for hit points just won't do what we want buffs to do, and that's to make wizards and clerics able to fight better. Right now, wizards and clerics are at a decided disadvantage to fighter types when they don't use any buffs. So buffs have to create some tangible bonus above and beyond the penalties. When that's true, then you can find a way to buff everything, since by definition the benefits have to outweigh the penalties.

Iaimeki at [unixtime wrote:1163981457[/unixtime]]
This is actually what D&D does, and it fails, badly. D&D calls it "number of encounters per day," and it has so many problems it's hard to summarize them all. One is the rope trick/teleport nonsense, which is a metagaming contest between the DM and the players: the DM, to keep in line with the system's notion of balance, has to make sure they have the right number of encounters in the day, but players have a strong incentive to do everything they can to avoid encounters, because it makes them stronger. (Much, much stronger, in the case of casters.) Subsidiary to this you create tension when the players have different incentives in the system. (This is also known as the "fighter rests when the cleric says rest" problem.) Another is lack of pacing variation: DMs can't plot games with many fewer or many more than the "correct" number of encounters, because then game balance breaks down. Another is the absence of tolerance for differences in gaming styles, since again, the balance breaks down if you don't have the Goldilocks amount of combat. Another is that certain sensible effects, like Persistent Spell, can't be balanced easily if at all because they break the rules on encounters per day; so you can't add them. (Or if you disregard that and do anyways like D&D has, you destroy balance.)

Systems that rely on knowing the number of attacks you make are brittle. D&D is really a perfect example of why and how.

Yeah, this is the very reason I think it's a good idea to try to move away from the classical "slots per day" garbage and evolve into a system that balances buffing via paying combat actions, the same cost that balances out firing arrows or throwing fireballs. When the only balancing factor is the cost of the spell slot, then you only encourage people to rest after every battle, because if you can rest after every battle, the effective cost for buffing is zero. To prevent PCs from resting with spells like teleport and rope trick, the only way you do that is with a gentleman's agreement. Otherwise, it becomes in their best interests to rest after every battle.

Buffs aren't balanced right now. They can't be under the current paradigm, because the paradigm itself is flawed.

In some way, we need to add something arbitrary to the system. Yes, I know this seems to offend people's sense of fairness, but it is absolutely necessary. Because this isn't a strategy game, and while it's real easy to balance codified buff rules in a structured setting like D&D miniatures, an RPG just is not that structured. And whether people are resting after every battle, or prebuffing outside the monster's door, PCs can always find a way to beat your codified system in an open ended RPG world.

You have a couple choices and both of them involve arbitrary things.

Combat Durations: This is the system I've been preaching for most of the thread. Buffs are balanced by having to use a combat action for them. The arbitary part comes in the DM actively preventing people from getting away with prebuffing before combat starts.

No Reloads: This is a variant to slot based buffing, where the cost is a spell slot. To make this one work, you have to prevent PCs from being able to run to the ammo crate after each battle after firing off all their bullets. The only way you do this is by making spell slot recharge arbitrary. That is, you only get your slots back after each adventure. And yes, adventure is a totally arbitrary unit of measure that the DM is going to decide.

Now, I definitely think combat duration is a better idea, because it's far less abusive than the latter and balances NPCs as well as PCs. The problem with any slot based casting method is that NPCs can always cast with reckless abandon since firing off all their bullets doesn't affect them one bit. So in my opinion, you're much better off trying to balance the game on the premise of combat actions, because it treats PCs and NPCs the same.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The buff of 'I shoot flaming balls'?

-Crissa
The_Matthew
Apprentice

Post by The_Matthew »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1163993185[/unixtime]]But simply trading out attack for damage or AC for hit points just won't do what we want buffs to do, and that's to make wizards and clerics able to fight better.

I'm sorry, but that is something that I for one do not want. When we give powers to spellcasters that make them able to stab faces as well as fighters do, the fighters become 100% useless. If anything we want a system where the fighter has something that he does in combat, so does the wizard, and so does the cleric, and none of them can actually replace another one in their own niche, because the moment anyone can do something that another one can't and be as good as that one in their own area the second class is obsolete.

My big problem is that people don't seem to care about clerics and wizards taking over the fighter's role because they think that everybody should be able to take part in combat, but since stabbing people is the only ability that fighters really have why should other people be able to waltz in and take over? How would you feel if the fighter got the ability to throw around magical effects better than the wizard, but the wizard didn't get anything to allow him to take the fighter's role once in awhile?
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

The_Matthew at [unixtime wrote:1164046817[/unixtime]]
I'm sorry, but that is something that I for one do not want. When we give powers to spellcasters that make them able to stab faces as well as fighters do, the fighters become 100% useless. If anything we want a system where the fighter has something that he does in combat, so does the wizard, and so does the cleric, and none of them can actually replace another one in their own niche, because the moment anyone can do something that another one can't and be as good as that one in their own area the second class is obsolete.

My big problem is that people don't seem to care about clerics and wizards taking over the fighter's role because they think that everybody should be able to take part in combat, but since stabbing people is the only ability that fighters really have why should other people be able to waltz in and take over? How would you feel if the fighter got the ability to throw around magical effects better than the wizard, but the wizard didn't get anything to allow him to take the fighter's role once in awhile?

Well, see that's the great thing about my system. It doesn't allow clerics and wizards to take over the fighter's role, at least not easily. Wizards and clerics need prep time, and not bullshit preptime, but real in combat preptime to get off their buffs. So yeah, maybe after 2 rounds worth of buffing, the cleric or wizard can outperform the fighter, but so what? That's 2 rounds he's spent sitting on his ass doing nothing but buffing while the fighter was churning out damage.

It means that buff based characters do better in longer drawn out fights where they have time to charge, and fighters do better in shorter battles.

The only other option is not to have buffs at all, which while I can understand the thinking, sometimes it's part of the storyline that the wizard shapeshifts into a dragon and attacks people. Even summons are pretty much the equivalent of buffs, it's just not the wizard attacking but some creature. But if he summons a solar to take over the fighter's role that's just as bad for the fighter if not worse.
The_Matthew
Apprentice

Post by The_Matthew »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1164053838[/unixtime]]
Well, see that's the great thing about my system. It doesn't allow clerics and wizards to take over the fighter's role, at least not easily. Wizards and clerics need prep time, and not bullshit preptime, but real in combat preptime to get off their buffs. So yeah, maybe after 2 rounds worth of buffing, the cleric or wizard can outperform the fighter, but so what? That's 2 rounds he's spent sitting on his ass doing nothing but buffing while the fighter was churning out damage.

It means that buff based characters do better in longer drawn out fights where they have time to charge, and fighters do better in shorter battles.

The only other option is not to have buffs at all, which while I can understand the thinking, sometimes it's part of the storyline that the wizard shapeshifts into a dragon and attacks people. Even summons are pretty much the equivalent of buffs, it's just not the wizard attacking but some creature. But if he summons a solar to take over the fighter's role that's just as bad for the fighter if not worse.

#1) No, your system does not help with that. It takes one buff to set the cleric above the fighter in the power curve, and now he dosn't have to go on the divine metamagic + persistant spell power trip in order to have it on the only times it really matters.

#2) Polymorphing can be balanced by fully replacing the caster with an appropriatly CRed monster. Frank has shown us this much.

#3) Summoning is also capable of being balanced, as Frank's previous works have shown us.

In short, while your system exists as either an affront to balance or sensibility, there exist paradigms in which things that are thematically appropriate can stay and yet there is still balance far greater than we have now.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I thought the point of buffs was to make clerics, wizards not die in combat, and some reason for them to work with fighters in combat?

-Crissa
The_Matthew
Apprentice

Post by The_Matthew »

That's the ideal of buffs, but what they actually end up doing is show off how much we don't need the fighter.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1164063514[/unixtime]]I thought the point of buffs was to make clerics, wizards not die in combat, and some reason for them to work with fighters in combat?

Well, not necessarily. The basic idea for a buff is that you can "charge up" and get more powerful. One such use is a defensive spell, but many of them deal with some kind of offense. In any case, you're giving up an action to get some bonus later in the combat.

In the case of longer term buffs, you're giving up a spell slot to get a simulated temporary magic item. You shouldn't really think of bull's strength as a true buff, it's more "trade a 2nd level slot for a belt of giant strength +4". Barkskin, shield of faith and a few other spells fall in this category too.

A true buff is sometihng like divine power or righteous might.

Matthew wrote:

#1) No, your system does not help with that. It takes one buff to set the cleric above the fighter in the power curve, and now he dosn't have to go on the divine metamagic + persistant spell power trip in order to have it on the only times it really matters.

Not really. Honestly people heavily overvalue divine power. Yeah it gives you fighter BaB, but a cleric's base physical stats aren't going to be as good as a fighter's, since he focused on wisdom as a primary stat. The fighter also has a bunch of feats which are pretty damn useful.

Yeah, having the extra BaB is kinda nice, but the cleric's damage is still subpar and he doesn't have the tactical options a fighter has. Not to mention doing so cost the cleric a standard action that could have been used to make an attack.

Get a cleric PrC like windwalker with full BaB and you really don't even need divine power, it's probably the least useful buff in your arsenal.
The_Matthew
Apprentice

Post by The_Matthew »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1164088385[/unixtime]]Honestly people heavily overvalue divine power. Yeah it gives you fighter BaB, but a cleric's base physical stats aren't going to be as good as a fighter's, since he focused on wisdom as a primary stat

Right, so you missed the part where Divine Power gives you +6 strength then? Or the part where most clerics tend towards high wisdom and strength? Honestly, a cleric can easily pick up a multitude of prestige classes and domains that give them crazy power for no reason, and then they also get the fighter Bab as a minor part of one of their class features.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

The_Matthew at [unixtime wrote:1164100223[/unixtime]]
Right, so you missed the part where Divine Power gives you +6 strength then? Or the part where most clerics tend towards high wisdom and strength? Honestly, a cleric can easily pick up a multitude of prestige classes and domains that give them crazy power for no reason, and then they also get the fighter Bab as a minor part of one of their class features.

It's an enhancement bonus, meaning it's just basically getting a belt of strength, which the fighter is likely to have already.

Really, divine power just isn't that great. I'm not saying clerics suck, I'm just saying that it takes more than one buff for them to be put on par with fighters. Basically you're looking at four choices for buffs:

-Divine Favor (kinda crappy after errata +3/+3, but you can quicken it probably)
-Divine Power (str bonus, some bonus Hp, and up to +5 to attack)
-Righteous might (not so great after errata)
-Spikes (big damage output, mediocre elsewhere)

If you get all four of those up, you're a force to be reckoned with. Though so long as it takes combat time in each combat to charge up, I don't think it's unbalanced.
erik
King

Post by erik »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1164127502[/unixtime]]
It's an enhancement bonus, meaning it's just basically getting a belt of strength, which the fighter is likely to have already.

Really, divine power just isn't that great. I'm not saying clerics suck, I'm just saying that it takes more than one buff for them to be put on par with fighters. Basically you're looking at four choices for buffs:

Ehhh, "just" getting a free full BAB, temporary HP and +6 belt of strength is pretty bad-ass. Sure the fighter gets his belt too, but the cleric gets another +6 item to go with it since he didn't have to pay for his. Which means his HP are likely much, much superior to the fighter's.

Throw in Righteous Might or any number of single other buffs on top of that (for a total of 2 buffs) and the cleric's numbers just outright smother any numbers the fighter hopes to have. All the tactical options in the world pale to that. The cleric doesn't get dozens of options, instead they get 2-3 options each of which will rock the fighter's numbers to death. A cleric grappler makes fighter grapplers cry. A cleric damage dealer makes fighter damage dealers cry. And so on. Unless some trick requires really copious feats then it can be replicated by a cleric with much higher numbers.

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is a nice bard in a box kind of buff that everyone will benefit from, and clerics would often be remiss in not casting that to the benefit of the whole party however.

Spikes is likely to be ignored for Brambles, by the by. They're both short duration spells now, so the sooner you quicken them, the better you be.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

clikml at [unixtime wrote:1164138838[/unixtime]]
Throw in Righteous Might or any number of single other buffs on top of that (for a total of 2 buffs) and the cleric's numbers just outright smother any numbers the fighter hopes to have. All the tactical options in the world pale to that. The cleric doesn't get dozens of options, instead they get 2-3 options each of which will rock the fighter's numbers to death.

A cleric with two buffs is slightly superior, but certainly not smothering the fighter by any means. Not to mention, he's wasted two rounds buffing... the fighter has been chopping away all that time.

And slightly superior number won't easily make up for that two round advantage. It takes a while to catch up.