Confusion. And a small rant about choices.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Tokorona
Journeyman

Confusion. And a small rant about choices.

Post by Tokorona »

Recently, I attempted to start a game up. It's still in the gathering stages, as forum games that are d20 tend to get low interest in this board.

One person, an old DM told me, in effect, he didn't join because I do not allow the following in my games (because I took too many choices away from him - despite the fact he told me I can't play a female character because he can't control if I get raped or not, and he didn't want me to complain about it :freakedout: ... yes, I pretty much quit any of his games after that. He's one of my friends, but.. I really seriously avoid RPG debates with him)

1] Evil characters

I'm not tempermently set up for an evil character in a party, besides that, they're rather disruptive, and I don't need that. I'm barely able, to, as DM, play a evil character who's banailly evil, that is, evil is a fact of life for them. This means I can't really take them as players, since I sorta like a semi organized party that isn't disruptive. I know that some people can play evil that's not like.. disruptive, but I'd rather not take the chance.

2] Torture by PC's, Rape or Slavery at all.

.. That one should be very self-explanatory, but he went on a rant about how you should allow it, and just disrecommend the actions, then punish the players for it later. Somehow. I pretty much said "I say what I disrecommend up front, I don't do a stealth hit like that." You will note that I allow NPC Torture, but I sorta say "However. There are obvious restrictions - you will slide in alignment in some cases, and.. well, you never know what may happen." (mind you, I don't think it's likely, but...)

THat's it. Seriously. I just don't get it. How am I being so super restrictive?

EDIT: Rule 2 comes from games I have been in. There are other rules, but I chose to drop them from this game. Namely, please speak in Common,and not Fae when half the group can't understand you! (I decided that was really something that I shouldn't ban. Too much presumption of power on my part.)

And none of these are the houserule set I use, just the rules that apply to RP.
Imban
Apprentice

Re: Confusion. And a small rant about choices.

Post by Imban »

I don't really see what people have against evil player characters. There are circumstances under which I'd ask that no party members be evil, but I wouldn't rule it out in general. It tends to make the party less organized, and means that in general they won't put their necks on the line for no fvcking reason like a lot of adventures presume the heroes will, but it doesn't always mean the party will become indistinguishable from wandering monsters. :P

Banning fvcking torture, rape, and slavery from your game is perfectly fine unless you're hosting a social server in Neverwinter Nights. It's a question of "what do I want my game to be rated" and R and NC-17 are not the only options.
Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

The reason for torture in D&D is that it's nonmechanical information extraction. You, as the DM, have to decide at what point the orc is willing to give up the information based on the information and the orc not on the game mechanics.

Mechanize that and watch torture goes away. Spycraft (both 1.0 and 2.0) codifies interrogation. You can just make it a contest of Intimidation checks or whatever. But if folks know why they're torturing and what they can expect to come of it mechanically--unless you're playing with utter bastards who just like gore--you can watch the whole torture problem go away.

DMs who have NPCs rape PCs--and PCs who rape PCs and NPCs--are fvcktards who give our hobby a bad name. The game is already rooted in power fantasy. Ride off on thee horses, do not rape thee weemen.

Slavery's something else entirely. There are, mechanically, races that are entirely slave-based (aboleths, mind flayers, neogi) that just don't work without the concept of slavery. The idea of them having legions of mind-slaves is part of their CR. Further, there are spells that permit PCs to make slaves of a variety of creatures and get their own legions. I dunno what you can do about that.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Personally, I don't disallow evil PCs in my group, I just disallow characters designed specifically to be disruptive to the party.

In the three or four years I've had that rule, I've found that's harder on people who want to play Paladins than people that want to be neutral evil mercenaries.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I have a Shadowrun game going where one of te players bought a Latvian girl with a personafix and has been steadily upgrading her personafix to make her more useful in more situations. I am playing in an Iron Kingdoms game where the party thought about their options carefully and decided to join Alexia.

But a lot of games are centered around the PCs being the heroes. And if even one character is wearing a white hat, purchasing a Latvian sex slave is not going to be appropriate at all.

And honesty on the part of the DM is important. You would be remiss if you didn't tell the players "We're having a good guys game, you can't play a Punisher clone."

-Username17
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

Well, I could have done that. And you have a point, that would have been a good idea. Generally, though, that's why I tell them "You can hire a NPC torturer" (who will be far less helpful than say, you used a Diplomacy check, or Dire Charm, but hey, that's your call..)

As for slavery, I don't run into those races at all, although, if I did, I'd probably allow it.. slightly. The point is, like Frank said, I run a good guys game. It tends to mesh not at all (of course, I often get accused of being very restritive because I prefer my protags to be heros.)

As for evil - see, the players I've been with are all.. like.. "I kill and steal from u because I evil" - so I tend to be heavy handed unless I know the group, and I don't yet know the group.

==========================================================

Mind you, I've gotten into other arguments over this too - namely
1) You should never set up a fight so that the PC's autowin or autolose.
2) Railroading is bad. (... only with one DM, though.)
3) You should make plans for any NPC dying. (although not many on this one)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I often don't make plans. Characters have a variety of options in how to handle situations, and if they end up killing NPCs, that's OK. They aren't player characters, the "plot" will survive without them.

And why is that? Because the plot is whatever the PCs do! If there was some NPC you had ideas about making into a major antagonist and he gets whacked in his first encounter, that might be pretty dissappointing to you, but in the broad scheme of thingsthe players won't even notice.

Once they kill the Dread Lord of Cuhl keep, they are going to do things forthe rest of the session. And that is now the "plot". It's a cooperative storytelling game, which means that everyone contributes to the story.

-Username17
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Hey_I_Can_Chan at [unixtime wrote:1162046380[/unixtime]]Slavery's something else entirely. There are, mechanically, races that are entirely slave-based (aboleths, mind flayers, neogi) that just don't work without the concept of slavery. The idea of them having legions of mind-slaves is part of their CR. Further, there are spells that permit PCs to make slaves of a variety of creatures and get their own legions. I dunno what you can do about that.

Yeah, but the point is that PCs can't be slaveholders. There are plenty of games where the plot is to raid a Drow settlement and free the slaves held there. It's just, most people don't consider the party deciding to take the slaves as their own as the optimal ending for it.

-Des
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Imban at [unixtime wrote:1162028179[/unixtime]]I don't really see what people have against evil player characters.

Honestly, I hate evil PCs in D&D. D&D is a game about heroes and most of your motivations are going to be based around saving people and doing other cool hero things. Evil PCs in D&D are at best mercenaries (whcih means every quest is about gold, BORING!) or they're psychopathic juveniles who kill everyone just for fun.

There are some storylines where maybe you can fit evil in if you're dealing with some world threatening crisis, but for the average campaign, having evil characters is a pain in the ass for the DM and makes for (IMO anyway) bland storytelling and boring mercenary quests.

Then again, I think moral choices are cool. I like putting PCs in positions where they can either save the good guys or kill the bad guy, but not both. You just can't do that with evil becuase evil generally doesn't care and makes the decision instantly.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Evil PCs in D&D are at best mercenaries (whcih means every quest is about gold, BORING!) or they're psychopathic juveniles who kill everyone just for fun.

Disregarding the dumb and narrow-minded sweeping generalization, bullshit. 'Good' PCs do the exact same thing. Only they justify thefts of ancient tombs by claiming that they'll need the gold and experience for a later combat and they justify their killing sprees in the name of a greater good.

Why don't you look at a book of notable PCs for, say, Dragonlance or Faerun. Very, very few named characters, even on the side of good, just randomly go around helping people. Holding PCs to a different standard is dumb.

Then again, I think moral choices are cool. I like putting PCs in positions where they can either save the good guys or kill the bad guy, but not both. You just can't do that with evil becuase evil generally doesn't care and makes the decision instantly.

So what do you think of Shadowrun / Paranoia / World of Darkness / Warhammer? Are those games boring because they don't constantly give the point of view of the white hats?
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1162084643[/unixtime]]
Disregarding the dumb and narrow-minded sweeping generalization, bullshit. 'Good' PCs do the exact same thing. Only they justify thefts of ancient tombs by claiming that they'll need the gold and experience for a later combat and they justify their killing sprees in the name of a greater good.

Why don't you look at a book of notable PCs for, say, Dragonlance or Faerun. Very, very few named characters, even on the side of good, just randomly go around helping people. Holding PCs to a different standard is dumb.

Well, they have thier own motives, but they are primarily good and varied motivations. The problem with evil characters is that they're inherently selfish (that's what evil means after all) and thus dont' do anything that doesn't further their own power gain. Neutral characters at the very least do stuff for friends and coutrymen and stuff, good characters try to help out people just because.

Yeah, it's pretty narrowminded, I admit, but that's the way I've seen evil played most of the time, and it's just not worth it. Evil characters just don't strike me as being very interesting characters in general. They make nice villains but certainly not good heroes.

The thing with being evil is that there really isn't any conflict or character development. You've already made your choice. You're bad to the core. Either you're just plain selfish, heartless and coldblooded with a singleminded desire to aquire power, or you eat babies and rape people for fun. Either one isn't a particularly interesting recurring character. Part of good storytelling is conflict and blackguards just don't have that.

Playing the descent into evil can be cool, playing a character's redemption can be cool, or playing a character's continual struggle to retain morality can be fun too. Pure evil on the other hand gets old after a couple sessions as it's entirely one dimensional. Yeah, it's cool to play a blackguard for awhile, but he just isn't great for a long term game at all.

This isn't to say people can't do evil things from time to time. It actually makes for a good story when the circumstances get one of the normally good fighter characters to torture somebody for information or when someone goes into a rage and slaughters a bunch of people. But you just can't do that all the time, otherwise it becomes really worn out and becomes just plain lame. It's just not all that fun to play a villain in D&D.

So what do you think of Shadowrun / Paranoia / World of Darkness / Warhammer? Are those games boring because they don't constantly give the point of view of the white hats?

Never played paranoia or warhammer, so can't talk about those.

Shadowrun generally portrays the PCs as the white hats. They're fighting against the evil megacorporations, even though in a somewhat chaotic way. They're stereotyical chaotic goods and chaotic neutrals most of the time.

World of Darkness, Vampire specifically, is designed around the concept of moral degeneration. That is characters gradually become more and more evil. In fact, when you hit absolute evil and your humanity goes away, then you become an NPC. Yes there are paths that arne't humanity based, but they're designed for NPCs, the same way that evil alignments in D&D are.

Vampire also has a setup that lets people be evil without the game at some point devolving into the PCs killing each other. There are so many social repercussions that it works out well. Inevitably, D&D evil games are held together by the metagame fact that you can't kill your allies because they're fellow PCs. D&D is the law of the jungle and there's nobody policing you. You can very well slaughter your party members while they sleep, and take their items and nobody is going to know you did that, or probably even care. After all, if people are letting you get away with raping babies and pillaging villages, they probably won't care if you offed the rest of your wicked band of villains. They'll probably be glad you did. And that's not good for a game, it strains suspension of disbelief.

Vampire handles that situation quite well because you've got a whole vampire heirarchy who care if you start offing other vampires. Evil has a civilized society in that game and that lets it behave and cooperate together to some degree.

D&D is effectively a lawless wasteland, if you don't have morals keeping you from killing your comrades, eventually you will.
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

I think you can play evil - as in, you don't see the point in killing people, that's not why you're evil. No, you're evil because you don't seem to care about magical experiemnts on people, or making people more or less batteries, but you do seem to care about killing people.
Falgund
Journeyman

Post by Falgund »

RandomCasualty wrote:Honestly, I hate evil PCs in D&D. D&D is a game about heroes and most of your motivations are going to be based around saving people and doing other cool hero things. Evil PCs in D&D are at best mercenaries (whcih means every quest is about gold, BORING!) or they're psychopathic juveniles who kill everyone just for fun.

I'm currently GMing an evil DnD campaign, where all the players are LE ex-BBEGs who were stolen all their powers by a BBNG trying to annihilate the world (Then there will be true neutrality). They are struggling to recover all their powers and come back with a vengeance (and if they save the day, it may just be in order to rule the world, juste like their previous plan was).
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

I hate evil PC's, because they tend to make gross decisions like murder and rape, while I like my games suitable for ages 12 and up.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1162215614[/unixtime]]I hate evil PC's, because they tend to make gross decisions like murder and rape, while I like my games suitable for ages 12 and up.
Rape, yes, I agree that that is 'gross' - but murder? What good party has ever gone for even one level without slaying some sentient creature?
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Let me rephrase: I meant 'gross' murder: preceded by torture and the like.

When the people I know play evil characters they generally are retarded as well.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Ahha... I had a GM once who had the whole party get trapped in one of the group's nightmares - curse his imagination! - and curse people who take extreme disadvantages...
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Post by Iaimeki »

Tokorona at [unixtime wrote:1162024046[/unixtime]]2] Torture by PC's, Rape or Slavery at all.

.. That one should be very self-explanatory, but he went on a rant about how you should allow it, and just disrecommend the actions, then punish the players for it later. Somehow. I pretty much said "I say what I disrecommend up front, I don't do a stealth hit like that." You will note that I allow NPC Torture, but I sorta say "However. There are obvious restrictions - you will slide in alignment in some cases, and.. well, you never know what may happen." (mind you, I don't think it's likely, but...)

I apologize for going slightly off-topic on your rant, but this is something that's annoyed me for a long time.

What the fvck is it with (some) men and rape in RPGs? I don't think I've ever seen a female DM or player bring rape into a game, but there's a minority of male players who display far too much interest in it.

Maybe this is just my personal peccadillo, but I don't see that rape is ever justified. In D&D, killing sentient beings is pretty much expected, and in both the game and the real world, most people consider killing under certain circumstances, such as war, self-defense, and as punishment for crimes, justified. You'll find people who defend torture on the same grounds. (That is not a political commentary, just an observation about what real people do believe.) Rape, however, is almost always just sadism, with no motives outside that. I don't mind certain evil PCs, but I don't think it's appropriate to play sadists who torture and rape because they enjoy it: it makes me uncomfortable to think about the motives of the player for wanting to play that character.

And that, I think, is what it comes down to for me. Every time I hear a male player wanting to rape, or a DM having an NPC rape a PC, I wonder about the player's or DM's motives. The overtones of misogyny and sexual domination don't help, either. It makes me queasy thinking about it.

(I've never played in a game with rape, on- or off-screen. Torture has come up, but much more often in threat than actuality.)
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

There's a few archetypes of evil characters as I see it.

The Blackguard

This guy is evil incarnate and does evil things just cause he can. He rapes, eats babies, and will go three days journey out of his way just to travel to the beach and kick over some kids sandcastle. These guys reek of one dimensionality. They typically have some conquer the world scheme or maybe they're just trying to get as high a body count as they can. He probably doesn't have much of a personality, despite being a cold blooded murderer. Unfortunately, the blackguard rarely has much of a purpose. He will usually follow the party along, just waiting to make a move somewhere where he randomly slaughter someone for the hell of it (be it PC or NPC).

The selfish mercenary

This guy is just out for gold and magic items. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. He has no problems with killing people or doing whatever the task requires. In many respects, he may resemble a mindless lawful neutral when performing quests because he has no moral reservations about following even the most depraved of orders. He's just out to collect his gold and that's it. He may throw in a twist and betray his employer if more gold is promised. That's about it. Other than that, he's one dimensional.

The Anarchic Thief

This guy is just about not doing any quests and stealing all the gold he can, whether from NPCs or fellow PCs. He resembles the mercenary but doesn't actually do any quests. Not only boring and one dimensional, but also very disruptive.

The good guy gone bad

This one is actually one of the few playable PC evils. As it involves a character who has simply had a few things in his life go wrong which turned him evil. Often times these guys have goals which resemble that of good characters, but they're just willing to pursue them even through immoral channels. Maybe the character's village got burned by orcs and now he swears to wipe them out at all costs. Unlike most of the other evil archetypes these guys actually sometimes have moral choices to make, as they aren't entirely heartless and evil (if played right anyway). Unlike the others, they seem to have motivations that people can actively relate to, that dont' immediately get you labelling them a selfish bastard or a mass murdering psychopath.
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

Iaimeki: I have had a female DM bring up rape of an NPC on-screen. SOmetimes, it's just "Well, tehy did this in the middle ages"
Imban
Apprentice

Post by Imban »

There's also "the villain who falls in with the heroes", where his motivation is to save the world simply because Team Evil doesn't want the world to explode either.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Rape, if it has to be detailed in a game ("rape" & "game" are horrible words to be used together in a sentence), should be glossed over in a brief, non-detailed sentence.

Seriously, move on to the aspects of the game that are fun and/or related to the overall crux of the adventure.

power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Actually, both rape and violence somewhat touch on the same theme, and it really depends on your group. (of course, more on the case of rape than violence) For example, many groups that I gamed with describe a critical hit as "a vicious strike to the midsection", "decapitation", or something like that. Very rarely is it described something like, "the blood pulsated out of his veins spraying your character and causing his bowels to roll along the floor and vomit a rough textured material to spray the wall." Nothing wrong with the latter (in fact it might sound cooler); I've just seen the former used more often.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

What most people (myself included, admittedly) forget about "Evil" is that Evil people have relationships just like Good people. Some of the most Evil NPCs in my games have been "defeated" by the PCs taking advantage of the fact that they are, despite their alignment, still part of their community.

No mortal creature is without the basic relationships of family, friends, and lovers. The worst of them might have murdered their family, manipulate their friends, and abuse their lovers, but they have them, and they can be a vital, distinctly human part of an Evil PC or NPC.