Ultimate Magus

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Imban
Apprentice

Ultimate Magus

Post by Imban »

I tried to look for a good link on the CharOp boards for this, but none was forthcoming.

It seems one of the new things that a good fraction of CharOp is bouncing up and down all amazed about is the Ultimate Magus prestige class from Complete Mage.

Why, you ask? Because you can be The Word with it.
User3
Prince

Re: Ultimate Magus

Post by User3 »

Imban at [unixtime wrote:1161142085[/unixtime]]I tried to look for a good link on the CharOp boards for this, but none was forthcoming.

It seems one of the new things that a good fraction of CharOp is bouncing up and down all amazed about is the Ultimate Magus prestige class from Complete Mage.

Why, you ask? Because you can be The Word with it.

I think the best caster level was around 34, not exactly Word material...

Anyway, any cleric can be The Word with enough beads of karma.
Imban
Apprentice

Post by Imban »

Well, yeah. I just found it amazing that there was such a hubbub over this when the Word did it so much better so long ago.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

It's because the word isn't kicking their brains in during a contest. While being presented by an outsider, no less.

The one good thing about the word hubbub is that it forced a few people to show their true colors. I prefer knowing in advance if someone's a total douchebag.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Well, there were a few problems with the initial version of the Word, and the Wish's trick really was available to every single character presented. While amazingly cool exploits (the things were actually what got me to wake up to the possibilities of reading the rules) and certainly deserving of the victory (see MingT's posts in the "Infinite Wishes and Broken Rules" thread) there are legitimate arguments against the Word's legality.

Meh. I'm not one of the ones impressed by the caster level shenanigans presented by Ultimate Magus. The useful part of the class is Augmented Spellcasting.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

There is a Char Op thread called the Preliminary Ultimate Magus Handbook. I'll link it here later.

In a nutshell, how are you guys getting 34 CL's in a 20 level Ultimate Magus build?