Need help with this race

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Tokorona
Journeyman

Need help with this race

Post by Tokorona »

I'm trying to see exactly why people say it should be an ECL 1 race

* SotW are Humanoids, and get their HD and related bonuses.
* +2 DEX, -2 CHA
* Medium; Medium Creatures gains no bonuses.
* SotBL base speed is 45 feet;
* Darkvision: 60 feet
* +2 racial bonus on saving throws against sleep
* A SotWM is immune to lycanthropy
* Considered to be wearing winter clothing all time.
* +1 natural armor bonus to AC
* +2 racial bonus to Hide, Spot, Listen and Move Silently
* A SotW can speak with any wolf or wolf-like lycanthrope in their native tounge. It functions as (Sp) ability.
* Spell-Like Abilities: For 2/day, the SotW gets the following spell likes: Guidance and Resistance. Caster level is as the SotW's character level.
* Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Sylvan, Giant, Goblin, Orc

Since Favoured Class is somethingI don't use, it's not in ehre./ -anyway, thoughts?
MrWaeseL
Duke

Re: Need help with this race

Post by MrWaeseL »

It's wicked fast!!! :tongue:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OK, the ECL comes because it has a long list of powers and isn't an Elf. That stuff where it's immune to lycanthropy? That doesn't mean dik, but that's where the ECL comes from.

From a practical power standpoint, it's indeed wicked fast. 45 feet on a standard move doesn't mean anything compared to mounted combatants, but for an infantryman that's crazy good. +1 Natural Armor is something that won't matter when you're 15th level but at 1st level is a big deal. These guys have a bonus to Dex and a bonus to AC, giving them the same AC as a halfling without doing less damage.

This makes for a pretty awesome archer, because you get a dex bonus and a long move and you don't count as mounted. Compared to a halfling or goblin archer, you're in fine shape.

Now that being said, I think they are pretty unsynergistic. Their only unique abilities are social ones and they have a charisma penalty. I don't even know where they are going ith this. And for that matter, what the heck is up with their talking to wolves power? If it's on all the time, how is it spell-like?

-Username17
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

Actually, I wrote it, and -CHA Is because I was unsure of the end what stat didn't fit the concept

(And it's tagged (Sp) because the race was created by magic.)

EDIT: Updated hte draft to read (Su) after I reread the post. and "A SotW can speak with any wolf or wolf-like lycanthrope in their native tounge. It functions as an at will ability (Su)."
erik
King

Post by erik »

It feels like not enough for ECL 1, but too much for ECL zero.

The 45' move is definitely the sore thumb in this. 40' wasn't fast enough? Barbarians are required to be short-sticked mayhaps? The extra 5' just seems like a petty "neener-neener" thrown in there.
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

I gave it 45' because it's a mulitple of 15'
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Well the speed is definitely the main selling point to this race. If you're going to abuse speed, then this race is what people would want to go (and probably worth LA+1 just for that). Ability scores are a plus, though not really any better or worse than a dwarf. The +1 natural armor is also a pretty nice advantage too and the rest is minor features not worth much.

Still the speed is pretty damn awesome.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

The speed, skill bonuses, and whatnot all cry out for the Scout core class from the CompAdv book.
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

*twitches* Ironically, I hate that class. :/ Well, I'm thinking about dropping the speed to 40', since most increases are in 10', not 15'
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

The idea was actually based of core monk.. now as the game set I use is heavily based off Races of War, I should probably alter it. For reference, this is the original set - these are the changes... course, I really don't like dumping CON, but...

Original Raceset wrote:
* SotW are Humanoids, and get their HD and related bonuses.
* +2 DEX, -2 CHA
* SotW base speed is 45 feet;
* A SotW is immune to lycanthropy
* A SotW can speak with any wolf or wolf-like lycanthrope in their native tounge. It functions as (Sp) ability.
* Spell-Like Abilities: For 2/day, the SotW gets the following spell likes: Guidance and Resistance. Caster level is as the SotW's character level.
* Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Sylvan, Giant, Goblin, Orc

Fixed and updated wrote:
* Soul's of the Wolves are Humanoids, and get their HD and related bonuses.
* +2 DEX, -2 CON
* SotW base speed is 40 feet
* Magical Mask : A SotW is immune to lycanthropy
* Heritage Tounge (Su): A SotW can speak with any wolf or wolf-like lycanthrope in their native tounge.

*Fixed variosu refrences to other races.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Who are the SotBL?

Races should probably have all self-referential text appear correctly.

-Username17
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

SOul of the Badger Lord. (and WM is Soul of the Warrior Mouse. There's a pattern to it.)

I should probably post those since both of htose.. well, Badger Lord is meant to be a fighter with Leadership, and the Warrior Mouse is Matthias. =p

EDIT: Actually, the concept was that it's a race of magically created wolf people (hence, Magical Mask and Heritage Tounge) who are extremely resistant to cold weather (The setting they are for is an arctic setting.) but don't take heat and fire well. I just couldn't figure out how to express that. The wolves are those you'd see often in the forest or places moving fast, hence the emphasis on something that makes them either for a ranger, rogue or monk.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Tokorona at [unixtime wrote:1159150759[/unixtime]]...magically created wolf people (hence, Magical Mask and Heritage Tounge) who are extremely resistant to cold weather (The setting they are for is an arctic setting.) but don't take heat and fire well. I just couldn't figure out how to express that....
Penalty to saves vs fire/heat and bonus vs cold/ice? Treat all temperatures as one or two categories warmer?
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Eh.. the second option is really devastating.

(first one sounds good, although I'm also trying to make them totally unable to die in the cold by hunting and travelng in it.)

As it is, is there any other changes people would think to be good?

-- Tokorona