Kobolds are some mark-ass tricks.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Kobolds are some mark-ass tricks.

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Hey, have you ever encountered a monster in your campaign that was supposed to teach your PCs some kind of lesson?

Like they walk into this cave and get turned into pincushions and set off a hundred traps?

Or they were this tiny ass dude who suddenly whipped out a gallon of ass-kicking?

Chances are that it was a kobold.

I hate these things. I hate them as DM-penis creatures more than I hate the way gamers fetishize elves and dragons.

Jerks.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Kobolds are some mark-ass tricks.

Post by Username17 »

Or Jermlaine. In previous editions, creatures were unable to escape their racial power notches, and so Kobolds were the first monster that everyone slaughtered in droves. Yahoos who remember those days have no "respect" for Kobolds, despite the fact that since 3e the Kobold has been a very respectable monster template.

So DMs get into situations where their players are annoying them with their lack of "respect" for the monsters (whatever that happens to mean), and then the DM comes back and groin kicks them with the monster who the player has the least comparative respect for.

It's actually quite sensible. If you happen to be in a situation in which the DM is "vs." the PCs. And the players are annoying the DM by not taking the serious portions of the game seriously and the DM isn't good with using his fvcking words.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I've been playing through the Neverwinter Nights expansion Shadows over Urentide (Urine-tide? Whatever.), and there is this one cave complex where the kobolds are supposed to kick your ass. It starts out with a winding tunnel laden with stinking cloud traps and archers (and caltrop tossers) which is a real hell to power through, and it ends in a room with a shimmery chest (high value) in the middle inside a crypt-like structure. Painted on the floor are several big red arrows pointing to the chest. If you open it, doors to adjoining rooms open, spewing archers (and kobolds have great archers), and portcullises drop on the crypt's entry points. The chest only has a note saying "Fooled you!" or something.

When I think of kobolds, I think of the big red arrows on the floor. Kobolds should only really hurt the foolish and the overconfident. When I saw those arrows, I avoided that room until I'd murdered everyone in every adjoining room.

However, I still got killed the first time I opened the chest (curiousity killed the K). "Save and reload" grants a confidence that a straight tabletop DnD game does not.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Neverwinter Nights is horrible, though. Tedious and repetitive.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1113903796[/unixtime]]Neverwinter Nights is horrible, though. Tedious and repetitive.

Of course it's tedious and repetitive. It's a) computer game and b) save-and-reload.

-Crissa