Need a quick way to calculate average damage with criticals.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Need a quick way to calculate average damage with criticals.

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Specifically, just a quick and dirty way to count average extra damage and whatnot. Only, I know nothing about math.

So. If a keen greataxe has a critical matrix of 19-20x3, about how much extra damage would that deal? I'm looking for a percentage here. Since I know nothing about math, I won't take any offense to people pointing out blatant errors in reasoning, etc.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Need a quick way to calculate average damage with critic

Post by Username17 »

Assumption: You hit on at least as many numbers as you threaten on.

Then your bonus damage from criticals is, on average:

x2 : 5% per threat range number.
x3: 10% per threat range number.
x4: 15% per threat range number.
x5: 20% per threat range number.
x6: 25% per threat range number.
x7: 30% per threat range number.

So a 19-20 x3 weapon is a x3 threat weapon which threatens on two numbers (19 and 20), so it averages 20% extra damage from criticals. That means that you can essentially figure nultiplying your initial average by 1.2 to figure your actual average damage.

Only multiply the damage that gets multiplied with crits, however. So if you do a d8 + 6 + a d6 of sneak attack, that's 10.5*1.2 + 3.5 damage, and not (10.5+3.5)*1.2.

If you'd like, I can show you the math proof, but it sounds like you don't want it.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

The additional assumptions there are that you are attacking a creature which is susceptible to crits and has no chance of negating them (such as fortification armor).

Usually it's best to maintain your sanity and just work within these assumptions, but be aware that the actual average damage value of crits will be ever so slightly slightly lower than calculated.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

And if we don't use the asumption that you hit on at least as many numbers as you threaten? Do you get a whole lot of different answers depending on what your to hit percentage is?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1079349401[/unixtime]]And if we don't use the asumption that you hit on at least as many numbers as you threaten? Do you get a whole lot of different answers depending on what your to hit percentage is?

If you hit on less numbers than you threaten on, the number of numbers you threaten on is equal to the number of numbers you hit on.

So in the example of the 19-20 x3 weapon, if you only hit on a natural 20 - you are only doing 10% extra critical damage per hit. Again, assuming your opponent is not immune or resistant to criticals.

-Username17
da_chicken
Journeyman

Post by da_chicken »

And assuming you can convert all threats to crits. Things like Power Crit do weird things to the numbers.