The Binder

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

The Binder

Post by User3 »

The tome of magic had three classes the "binder", the "shadowcaster", and the "truenamerist talker guy" while the shadowcaster could be pretty easily replicated by being a sorceror, researching some spells, and just refusing to even try and be useful and the true name speaker has no hope of not being broken the binder isn't so awful.

In terms of fluff I like the binder, it has a goofy badness about, it and in terms of mechanics the binder is playable if underpowered. There is a sweet spot between the rogue and the cleric where you have the ability to play the game without ruining it for everyone else.

The problem is right now the binder falls pretty solidly into the anchor catagory which is a shame. The designers think that if the question "what are you good at?" is asked that "I'm not good at anything, but I'm bad at everything!" is a perfectly cool answer. Fortunately all that needs to be done is ramp up the power a bit. Not too much even.

Hit Die: d6
BAB/Saves: BAB: Med (as Cleric); Fort: Good; Reflex: Bad; Will: Bad
Class Skills: The Binder's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), COncentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all taken seperately) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skills/Level: 6 + Intelligence Bonus

The rest of the class is largely the same with the following changes: The binder can bind a total of 1 vestige at first level, 2 at fifth level, 3 at ninth level, 4 at 13th level, and 5 at 17th level.

At third level the binder gains the ability to dismiss a single vestige once per day as per the expel vestige feat. At seventh level the binder may dismiss a vestige twice per day, at 11th the binder may dismiss a vestige three times per day, at 15 four times per day, and at 19th five times per day.

The bonus feat can be any feat for which the binder meets the requirments. The pact augmentation ability no longer allows the energy resistance option. At 20th level the binder gets a good capstone ability. I'm thinking the travel version of gate at will.
DP
1st Level

Re: The Binder

Post by DP »

I posted this, and running after some playtesting I think six skill points steps on the rogue's toes a bit much especially since there iare two vestiges one which grant sneak attack and the other which grants sudden strike that combined exceed the rogues sneak attack dice at every level. (even though sudden strike is worse than sneak attack it is still a problem)

I think 4 skill points and taking disable device/open lock off the list would be enough to make the character still very good while still giving the rogue an advantage in some ways. Plus with an additional vestige and the ability to better switch vestiges I don't think the class needs the extra feats.