3.5 Annoys Me Anew

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

erik
King

Re: 3.5 Annoys Me Anew

Post by erik »

DR 10/- even isn't a silver bullet (or kevlar vest as the case may be) versus many critters. I just played through an encounter with an ogre with 4 fighter levels who was putting down 30 damage every hit. That was with level 6 PCs who couldn't even touch stoneskin yet. Stoneskin is nice, but so expensive that you're usually better off with other options.

As a trivia note, I have met a character in Living Greyhawk who had gotten access to having a hat of protection from evil, which was a contiuous item. Since there was a possessing entity in a nearly-artifact item that we had to carry around, it was extra awesome. I was quite envious of that character's very fine hat.

My main desire that keeps me from junking abjuration is one spell, and it's a cantrip. Resistance- the pre-req for making cloaks (or whatevers) of resistance. Granted saving 12.5k gold isn't that big a deal for just buying one, but it's awful nice to be able to craft em for the whole party if need be.

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Couldn't you cover that with scrolls of resistance?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1151226890[/unixtime]]Couldn't you cover that with scrolls of resistance?

SRD wrote:Spells of the prohibited school or schools are not available to the wizard, and she can’t even cast such spells from scrolls or fire them from wands.

Bolding mine.

Game On,
fbmf
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Nuts. However since its a cleric spell and the person creating the item dosen't have to have the spell this is another spot where the cleric can cover it.
erik
King

Post by erik »

True, or a rogue with UMD and a cheap wand/scroll. But I've been in a few campaigns where borrowing even a cantrip spell (or orison as the case may be) is not feasible for item creation. Living Greyhawk being one of them for example. Steenking low magic/wealth campaigns where the only items I was ever going to find were ones I created, being another and for whatever reason we had no cleric/druid.

I'm not saying barring abjuration is a universally bad idea (actually it's usually quite fine), just that that is about the only reason I've never barred it personally. Cloaks are very handy items, and often I can't get them unless I make them, and I can't always expect the help I want or need.