Uttercold?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Uttercold?

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Okay, I've checked the books I have, I've never found this feat. So the obvious question is, where is it from?
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Re: Uttercold?

Post by Neeek »

Lord of the Uttercold is from the Complete Arcane
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Ah, an entire series I avoided.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lord of the Uttercold requires 9 ranks of Knowledge (planes) and Energy Substitution: Cold, which in turn requires an additional metamagic feat.

So if you're a Wizard, you can take Lord of the Uttercold at level 6 if you take any metamagic feat at level 1 or 3 and Energy Substitution at level 5. Being a Dread Necromancer it gets much harder, you need an extra feat at level 1. But a human can take a metamagic feat and Apprentice (DMG2) at level 1, take Energy Substitution at level 3, and finally get Lord of the Uttercold at level 6.

That was originally why the Uttercold Assault Necromancer required Apprentices - that way you could get into the class at the first opportunity regardless of whether you're a Wizard or a Dread Necromancer.

BTW, the actual effect of Lord of the Uttercold is tha your cold spells do half cold and half negative energy. Which is why the Uttercold Assault Necromancer gives out Cld Resistance to his allies and troops - cold resistance turns cold spells into healing effects at that point. And since DOTs are bigger than healing effects, the Uttercold Assault Necromancer ends up having decent combat healing.

-Username17