Promethean: the Created

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Modesitt
Journeyman

Promethean: the Created

Post by Modesitt »

For those of you that don't keep up with White Wolf, they're putting out a 4th Big Game called Promethean: the Created. They've started posting previews on their website.

In a nutshell: You are the monster from Frankenstein. You were made by a monster from the remains of others. Your goal, like that of every other Promethean, is to literally become human. You get some kewl powerz. Instead of(or maybe in addition to?) the usual nWoD Supernatural trick where mortals just forget the supernatural stuff, Prometheans make people uneasy simply by existing. After interacting with someone for a while they start to think "Man, I bet that guy is a child molester". Then they see the hat the kid on the back of the milk carton was wearing...and it's hanging out of your pocket. Out come the torches and pitchforks! Like Orpheus(Who else remembers that?), this will be just Core Book+four Sourcebooks.

This could be awesome or asstastic. Personally, I'm putting my money on 'Awesome'...But then again, I thought Mummy was going to be awesome, so take my predictions with a grain of salt.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Promethean: the Created

Post by Username17 »

The core concept apparently is that being Frankenstein's Monster actually blows. Despite the awesome power, you're doomed to a fairly short life and everyone hates you (unlike Vampires, who need to stop their bitching right now, because they don't have any problems that can't be solved with the internet and a telephone and they live forever). That's actually a much more solid place to start things off than what they had with the other settings.

The people who were playing it at Kublacon seemed to be having a fun enough time. It still uses the Whitewolf mechanics and they even kick it up a notch into the stupid by having you need to jolt yourself with electricity in order to keep your powers going.

Sigh. The whole thing looks like they could have just gone with "Zombie: The Devouring" and been better off.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

So, what, Prometheus decided to make flesh golems out of a race he had already created?

If I were more educated I'd take this opportunity to make some crack about Epimetheus and White Wolf, but I'm not.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

The fact that it uses the god awful nWoD system is enough alone to turn me off from it. Not to mention it sounds like a pretty crappy concept anyway.

You wander around and people hate you. Is there any civilization to these Frankenstein's monster things or what?

The main selling point to vampire is that you actually had a whole vampire society set up. It doesn't seem like a DM can actually have any kind of long term campaign set up for this game.
Modesitt
Journeyman

Post by Modesitt »

RandomCasualty wrote: Is there any civilization to these Frankenstein's monster things or what?

According to the webcast, they have a very loose society. It's a bunch of people warchalking the world that ocassionally meet. They only cooperate so long as they think the other Prometheans can help them on their quest to become mortal.
Catharz wrote:So, what, Prometheus decided to make flesh golems out of a race he had already created?

They're made by humans that either accidentally or deliberately make them by controlling Pyros(aka Mysterious_Magic_Energy_005). Or they're made by other Prometheans for some as-yet-unknown reason. Prometheus is just a metaphor.
FrankTrollman wrote:Sigh. The whole thing looks like they could have just gone with "Zombie: The Devouring" and been better off.

White Wolf's already done that. Go to your local FLGS, find a copy of Antagonists, and flip to the section on zombies. They're designed to be PC opposition but the rules are sufficiently detailed that you could totally run a game from the point of view of the zombies.

Edit: I just saw this thread. It's a report from a player at Kublacon. Lots and lots of details.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Modesitt at [unixtime wrote:1149034697[/unixtime]]
According to the webcast, they have a very loose society. It's a bunch of people warchalking the world that ocassionally meet. They only cooperate so long as they think the other Prometheans can help them on their quest to become mortal.

Sounds like it'll kinda be pointless then.

I really haven't seen anything half-decent out of WW since they started the whole nWoD thing. But then I guess you really can't produce good games using a system where it's hard to kill a 12 year old at point blank range with a shotgun.