A new paradigm for wealth by level

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Re: 10 rules to surgically remove the glass jaw

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

K at [unixtime wrote:1088725675[/unixtime]]Silver swords are non-magical equipment. Buy all that crap to your heart’s content. We are talking about magic items.

Okay, sure.

You should not buy (good) magic items. They should be quested for, either to create them, or to find/steal them.

Works for me.

You should not base your whole character on a magic item.

I dunno that I agree, that depends on wether you mean who a character IS vs what a characte CAN DO. Who a character is probably shouldn't be based on their stuff, at least not every time or permanently. That's gimmicky and dull. Of course that's a play style choice and nothing to do with me, even if I'm your DM.

On the other hand, I think it's very appropriate to base a character's schtick on their items, even to the point of defining their schtick by it. Look at characters like King Arthur or The Green Lantern.

You should not choose adventures based on whether you feel you have enough magic items. If signature items grow in power, or are set by the power of the user, based on the character's level, then you will alway have good stuff needed to play.

Fair enough. I agree. But the default campaign style assumes that once your sword quite pulling its weight so well you'll either get or look for a new one.

Gaining magic items should not be a primary motivator for all adventures(but some, sure, why not?).

Sure. No problem. I agree here too.

I want to collect magic items. Its fun.

:wtf: Wait a minute. Didn't you just say the opposite of that?

If I can't have a giant penny in my batcave, then why am I an adventurer?

To gain fame and fortune? (Neither of which are expressly prohibited by this system. Relative wealth just has less impact on you mechanically)

To vanquish evil in the name of good?

To avenge the death of the ones you love?

To save specific people or locations that you have a vested interest in from damage and despoilment at the hands of evil?

Because your character's a little unhinged and likes the thrill he gets from facing something three times his size that's intent on killing him?

Because your character wants power over people and territory?

Because your character is obsessed with obscure and possibly blasphemous lore that's usually hidden away in dark crypts protected by horrible monsters?

Because your character just doesn't fit in and thus adventuring is the only practical method of making sure you don't starve as you wander from town to town?

Because your character is hunted by an organization you know nothing about and staying in one place only puts innocents in danger?

But, to balance out the effect of magic items, they need to have drawbacks and limits. And they need to be created by adventurers using them in adventures, or finding them in adventures.

*snip*

What's the difference between getting a magic sword from the Bandit Lord that you sell in the next town and hanging it on the wall of your headquarters, never to be used again, if you have a static, level-dependant money pool to buy equipment with before each adventure?

Now, I feel your pain on the non-signature purchased magic item issue. I really do. What you have to do there is just not have magic items easily available for purchase(If available at all), or rig it so that magic items you can purchase are so blatently inferior to your signature item that you might as well use that instead. That will ensure that the only serious magic items out there are Signature Items belonging to SOMEONE. At that point, who cares if the 15th level character can run out and buy himself a +3 Flaming Sword. Chances are by that point he's got a +3 keen firey burst sword by then anyway

Now, lets say I go on mid level adventure vs a Necromancer and his huge undead army. He’s got several crazy magic items with level mins of like 10. As mid level items, they should have heavy duty side effects, but be powerful when they work correctly. He also has some crap which just fails when it doesn’t work, and he has some crap that you could activate at any time. He has a crazy good Staff of the Undead(level 15) which as a signature item casts Animate Dead three times a day, creates and controls up to 4 Vampires(levels 5-7), and boosts your Control undead limit by 3. After he’s dead it just Animates the dead once a day, and boosts your control limit by 3. Failing an activation roll and it creates an uncontrolled vampire that stalks you 1-4 days after your failed check. It also attracts undead to attack the wielder. If a 10th level character makes it a signature item, then he looses the downsides and gets the uber powers.

I'm with Frank. That's alot more bookkeeping than even the current system does. I dun like it.

See how this works?

Sure. I just don't like how it works. It's over complicated.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Having cash should stop being the same as being able the get a scad of magic items. Merchants, kings and Dragons are meant to have lots of money. Its really lame when they don't just because the PCs would get too powerful. The PCs would leave behind most of the loot if it was useless to them.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Sma wrote:but is there any way to implement it in a campaign spanning 6+ levels taking place in only a year game time ?

Sure. The first thing you do is have a gigantic money sink which is basically irrelevent to the actual adventuring. Common money sinks include:

* Armies
* Strongholds
* Organizations

Whenever the party gets a big monetary score, they sink it into their army/stronghold/organization/whatever. Whenever the party goes out on a new mission, they equip themselves from their armory or the organization equips them.

In short, Q comes out before each mission (in the form of the Bishop of the Red Queen or the resident Goblin Mechanic, as appropriate), and outfits each character with a bunch of vaguely useful equipment which ranges from adamantine platemail to silver swords to rings of protection to silk rope, as appropriate for their level and their mission.

Then characters have an amount of walking around money which is appropriate to the adventure and their character.

The only thing that's really important here is that walking around money should not be liquidatable into level-based equipment which is terribly important for their level. So it makes no difference if 15th level characters can take some of the cash in their belt pouch and grab a +1 or even +2 Ring of Protection, and it doesn't matter if 1st level characters can run out to the store and buy torches and food. It's also important that people not be allowed to purchase signature items at all.

And then boom, you're done. Each new adventure begins with the Archbishop handing them a missive for a list of things that the Order of the Red Queen wants dealt with - or with a scout reporting the various movements by Lord Dragnon along the border, and then the party decides what to go investigate and how to equip themselves for it. Each adventure ends with the party licking their wounds, while the porters come in and haul all of the swag away, or the cops come in and start looking over all the stolen goods. Between adventures, those players who like that sort of thing can plan expansions to the stronghold, or itemize new fantastic units which are being added to the force, or whatever, as appropriate.

Once in a while you can have an adventure where Lord Dragnon makes a move on the palace, or the army lays seige to a tower, or the order sends 200 guys in with hatchets and ladders, or in some other way directly involves the use of this plot device which they've been building up the whole time.

Draco wrote:The PCs would leave behind most of the loot if it was useless to them.

True, and with the system above, you can actually make it useful without directly screwing up the game. So if your players really like the idea of running off with an entire dragon's horde and having it matter, you can still do that - you just can't let that translate into having higher plusses on their gear.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Des wrote:What's the difference between getting a magic sword from the Bandit Lord that you sell in the next town and hanging it on the wall of your headquarters, never to be used again, if you have a static, level-dependant money pool to buy equipment with before each adventure?

A. The sword of the Bandit Lord might never be used again, but at least you have that option. What if, some time down the road, you hear rumors of an adventure vs rampaging water elementals, and you're like "wow, you know that fire sword we got from the Bandit King sure might be useful here. Oh wait, the DM said we could't keep it and geez that really sucks. Lets go Play Smash Bros."

B. Magic items should not be sold. Period. Magic items should not be technology. The exception might be potions or maybe wands, but thats it.

C. Magic items should be for heroes. And even heroes get screwed by magic items in like half the stories I know. That means that the market for magic items should be small if it exists at all. Like the shop that is in the dark allley that you can never find again.

Basically, DnD magic items have always been flawed because the fighter needs to upgrade his equipment every level or he can't play the game. They might as well not even be called magic items. Call them the "equipment" class feature of the fighting classes.

The game cannot work as a storytelling device if magic items can be bought and sold. It can work as a strategy game, an online RPG, or a host of other things, but it cannot be used as storytelling device if the continuity of the character is so easily broken.

Some people like stories where the mission is handed to you every episode, and they don't have to take responsiblity for the creation of the story. I don't. I often play in games like that, but thats because its hard to find people who take RPG seriously and who won't spend 75% of the time talking about other games or anime.

In shows like Startrek or Buffy/Angel, old items come up again. Sometimes they are only flavor text to a bigger story line, and some times they are their own story, and some times they are key to solving a new story, but they do come up again.

I know thats it harder on the DM to design adventures based on a sheet of gear the adventurers might have, but its even harder to base an adventure on the gear PCs might pick during each and every adventure. If I want static, non-plot device magic items in DnD, I'll go play a computer game.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Magic items should not be sold. Period. Magic items should not be technology. The exception might be potions or maybe wands, but thats it.

Magic Swords are wands. Get over it. You use them for a while and then you don't use them anymore. No matter what you do with them, over the life of the character you will only use a sword a limited number of times. Even if you keep it, it still gets used some finite number of times.

When you first get it, you don't know how many times you are going to use it before you get rid of the weapon or the character, but in the old days you didn't know how many charges a wand had either. This distinction between Swords and Wands is entirely meaningless and artificial at the best of times.

Nobody wants to have to personally sift through 65 different objects to finely craft a perfect set of 8 every single time they sit down. They want to have their spear and magic helmet that they always use, and then get +1 or +2 from every other slot the game happens to use. And that's what the DM wants too. Anything more complicated than that is too fvcking complicated.

If you can't explain what all of your magical swag does in three paragraphs, I have already lost interest in your character. Think of it like a novel, character descriptions have to be short enough for the reader to remember all the important details. And that has to hold true for all the characters. It isn't enough for you to be able to remember what your character can do, all the other players and the DM have to be remembering it too.

Otherwise it feels like a Deus Ex Machina everytime any character does anything. "Wait, he can call a flock of seagulls to carry us? Since when?"

They might as well not even be called magic items. Call them the "equipment" class feature of the fighting classes.

Exactly. The vast majority of everyone's magic items should just be "Level Equipment" - stuff you get for happening to be the level you are. It should nominally be enchanted and have bonuses but the other players shouldn't have to remember what it does. When you are high level, your armor is magically protective, but unless you have a major character schtick of the guy who wears the Peacock Armor, noone should have to remember its special properties.

If other people are forced to remember more than 3 paragraphs worth of information about what your character can do the stories will always by defintion be unsatisying. Everything you do will end up being something they didn't remember you could do, and thus it will feel like an ass pull.

Really. I had one character in a game I ran who collected magic swords (she had like 10 by the end of the game). It was a cool schtick, but I wouldn't do it again. Every time she pulled one of the lesser used ones everyone else was like "what the fvck?" And it was hard keeping track of all the stuff in that game. Really hard. If all of the other characters had also been collecting magic swords and switching around in the middle of combat I wouldn't have been able to keep up.

Some people like stories where the mission is handed to you every episode, and they don't have to take responsiblity for the creation of the story.

Then select a mission off a list. Or generate your own. It doesn't make much difference, because wherever you are still going to be doing some kind of mission, and a lot of set-piece encounters can honestly be used regardless of the chosen mission.

In shows like Startrek or Buffy/Angel, old items come up again.

And signature items should.

But if its just a piece of level equipment, the only time its going to show up again is if you select an exactly similar piece of equipment and then announce that it's the same one for the purposes of the story.

Rings of Protection are interchangeable, and that's not a bad thing. The fact that purchasing them and creating them has overvalued the big financial score is, however.

Your suggestions are cumbersome and absurd. There's simply no possibility of making things that complicated for all the stuff. It's too much work. Ironically, it would only be possible in a computer game - because that way you'd have a robot to remember all the details of all your magical stuff for you and only one person would have to keep track of all the things the character could do.

-Username17
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

*sigh* K, It's quite obvious you don't like this style any more than I like your idea, which IMO turns the game into a lethal parody of golf. "Hmmm. Water elementals. Caddy, bring me my #3 fire sword." So how about we cut a compromise. You let those of us who think this is a good idea work out the details, and we won't bitch at you when and if you start a thread to start a game where every character carries around magic items to counter every possible situation.

Sound good?

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Ok, I'll shut up about it, and just say one last thing.

Why have stat boosting equipment at all in your system? I know that the game falls apart if the fighters don't have the biggest and best magic sword they can get at their level, but why even do this at all?

Why not just say that any sword in a character's hand is a +whatever with some good stuff, and he always has a +whatever to his armor, even if he is as naked as a jaybird and fighting with his fists? With the exception of the Elemental effects(kinda weak, anyway), no one knows the exact pluses on Aragorn's armor or if it has Fortification or any other damn thing.

Shopping for magic items, in any form bigger than the potion or wand(which can be expended in an adventure, and will not be used the rest of the adventure: opportunity cost), negates the whole idea of signature items. They are opposite approaches.

The "just signature" item is fine by me. When the Clown Masked Ninja dies, his Mask looses its powers. You can't ever tell a magic item story again without it having an evil intelligence or its the sig item of a villain or hero, but thats OK, I guess. No hero will ever loot a corpse, which is not a bad idea, I guess.

But, when you can, in the middle of an adventure say "You know that drow armor on those drow we just killed is better than ours for this adventure. Lets put it on. We can't keep it, but who cares?" or "I'm going to give my Ring of Protection to the Demon as a bribe. Why? I'm going to get a new one next time, so who cares?" or "I'm spending all my equipment budget on Elemental gems, so that in the end fight we just win." or "I'm going to drop scrape off the green slime with Excaliber because next game I want to get a Fire sword."

Having to min/max your equipment every adventure is a lot of work. Admit it. Having to buy new equipement every time you level or have an adventure is a lot of work.

The only upshot to your system is that you can actually use the "fail a save/loose an item" rules in your game without people crying.

I would like a system where magic items are flavor or plot(like the Green Sword in Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon), and not essential game mechanics, but when 3E was turned into Diablo, I was out of luck.

Write out you system with hard rules. I'll help tweak it.
Sma
Master

Re: Minor CotSQ Spoilers Ahead !

Post by Sma »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1088781747[/unixtime]]
Sure. The first thing you do is have a gigantic money sink which is basically irrelevent to the actual adventuring. Common money sinks include:

* Armies
* Strongholds
* Organizations

That´s what I´ve been thinking too, but as I´m going to be running a group through the City of the Spider Queen module, which in the latter parts comes down to one big dungeon inhabited by different factions, whit the party cut off from a fast way out, I´m thinking of ways to deprive them of their hard gained wealth, while supplying new stuff. Maybe letting called Celestials take the place of the middleman, supplying new stuff and taking the old stuff away for better use.

Sma
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Sma wrote:That´s what I´ve been thinking too, but as I´m going to be running a group through the City of the Spider Queen module, which in the latter parts comes down to one big dungeon inhabited by different factions, whit the party cut off from a fast way out, I´m thinking of ways to deprive them of their hard gained wealth, while supplying new stuff. Maybe letting called Celestials take the place of the middleman, supplying new stuff and taking the old stuff away for better use.

If Celestials are teleporting stuff in and out, the players will ask (quite rightly) why they can't take the player characters. I think a better way would be to have the PCs team up with some faction or another and run the revolution out of somebody's house.

Periodically the faction could come up with some item they've liberated that they think the PCs could use, and the vast majority of found swag could be used to equip the peons of the revolution. By the end of it, they'll feel like they've really financed a meaningful change in geopolitics and it won't feel "wasted" or "lost".

But of course, I'm just talking out of my ass, because I've never read CotSQ and have no idea what happens in it. Except that it has a lot of Drow, and I fvcking hate Drow.

K wrote:But, when you can, in the middle of an adventure say "You know that drow armor on those drow we just killed is better than ours for this adventure. Lets put it on. We can't keep it, but who cares?"

...then it works exactly like TV shows, movies, comic books, and novels? Precisely.

When the mooks of Castle Nox are running around in stately black Serpent Mail, the protagonists quite often snag some and wear it. But the very next episode/book/scene even the protagonists have changed back into their normal clothes.

When Luke steals Storm Trooper Armor for a disguise, he doesn't keep it. He ditches it as soon as he can. That's how heroes work. They drop the cool armor and go back to their normal clothes the moment the scene switches.

Why?

Who cares why? Maybe his normal clothes are just more comfortable. Maybe the Serpent Mail lost its powers as soon as the Naga Queen bit it. What fvcking difference does it make?

Story logic is that when you gank the guards of Nox Tower you take their cool armor for the rest of that story only. At the beginning of the next story, for whatever reason, the heroes are back to being equipped normally. That's how it works. You can flip out about it, but the fact is that it really does work that way in absolutely every single series of stories ever.

And that's the bottom line. It's supposed to simulate stories. This is how stories actually work. Noone cares how many pieces of silver are in the pocket of Lancelot. And in between stories he always shifts back to his basically standard getup regardless of what horrible thing happened to him in a previous story or what riches he found or whatever.

Stories can essentially be told out of order, and D&D character's should be able to have their adventures that way too.

-Username17
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

And if your really decides that Serpent's Mail armor is teh shit, and you want to wear it from now on to show people how badass you are because you killed the Naga Queen, then you talk to the DM after game, and more than likely he'll magic it up for you and make it a new Signature Item for you.

Just remember that you're not going to be able to throw that out as soon as you get the armor of the Undying Emperor's Praetorian Guard.

-Des
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Desl wrote:Just remember that you're not going to be able to throw that out as soon as you get the armor of the Undying Emperor's Praetorian Guard

Why not? How dumb and arbitrary is that? If I can have the Naga armor, I should be able to have the any other crap I find and make it into a signature item.

Luke and Han wear the Storm trooper armor not because its good (since it saved none of the dozens of dudes they killed), but because it made a good disguise. It actually made them run funny and seemed to offer so little protection that Ewoks with rocks were killing dudes in Storm Trooper armor.

Basically this system fails on all three fronts:
1. Is it fun? No. You don't ever get to play with anything you find. You may slay the dragon, but you are going to leave his horde in the cave. Most characters have no need for money. Is a monk going to raise an army, equip a stronghold, or start his own order while he's still young enough to adventure. Probably not. I'd keep a handful of gems for my retirement and collapse the cave in case I ever needed half a ton in gold to complete some quest.
Rather than saying " this is the Blade of the Eternal Heart, forged in the lands of Alkazabarrazan before the Empire fell, and taken from the Lich Felshsbazz during the Battle of the Thunder Gap." you say "This is my signature +4 sword. Tomorrow I think I'm going to hawk it for an improved crit sword of firey burst +2."

2. Is it easy? No. You have to minmax every new adventure with new equipment. Sounds like a pain in the ass. Keeping track of signature items also seems to be a pain. How do you decide what abilities they can get, or how much they can spend on one item? How many signature items do you get? What happens if they get stolen or broken? What if you want to trade in your old item for a new one that an enemy is using, or just get new powers different from the ones on it now?

3. Does it tell good stories? No. By arbitrarily not letting people ever keep anything they find, you are telling the player that they have no role in the ongoing story and that the only reward is XP or nebulous RP considerations. By getting random equipment every new story, you take no pride in it and feel no attachment. There is more emotional impact playing Diablo. There is no continuity.

Those are my general gripes. Write up some solid rules, and we'll see how good they look.

I still think that magic items need to be plot devices or flavor text, and not game and character essential components. The hero should not be helpless just because he's not wearing his minmaxxed sword and magic helmet. Madmardigan in Willow goes through like four different swords in that movie, and kicks butt using some or none of them. He doesn't even wear armor until the last quarter of the movie.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

K wrote:Why not just say that any sword in a character's hand is a +whatever with some good stuff, and he always has a +whatever to his armor, even if he is as naked as a jaybird and fighting with his fists?

... I would like a system where magic items are flavor or plot(like the Green Sword in Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon), and not essential game mechanics, but when 3E was turned into Diablo, I was out of luck.

Write out you system with hard rules. I'll help tweak it.

Why not use the Vow of Poverty bonuses from the BXD as a starting point? It isn't a feat, has no prereqs, and no restrictions, it just works. Every 4th level character has +1 enhancement to attack & damage, every 7th has +1 nat armor, etc.
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

Wow. I haven't checked this thread in a while, but I just read everyuthing since my last post. VERY interesting stuff here guys. I genuinely like it.

[summon Great Fence Builder]

Would it be possible to get the whole alternative item system split into a different thread? That would be awesome. Besides, the discussion has kind of gone away from monster weaknesses to something much cooler.

[/dismiss (politely)]
Sma
Master

Post by Sma »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1088805288[/unixtime]]

If Celestials are teleporting stuff in and out, the players will ask (quite rightly) why they can't take the player characters. I think a better way would be to have the PCs team up with some faction or another and run the revolution out of somebody's house.

Periodically the faction could come up with some item they've liberated that they think the PCs could use, and the vast majority of found swag could be used to equip the peons of the revolution. By the end of it, they'll feel like they've really financed a meaningful change in geopolitics and it won't feel "wasted" or "lost".

But of course, I'm just talking out of my ass, because I've never read CotSQ and have no idea what happens in it. Except that it has a lot of Drow, and I fvcking hate Drow.

While I abhor the evil yet sexy drow in general, this module has them slaughtered in sufficient numbers to keep me interested, apart from the actual plot, which seems decent enough to need only minor tinkering. And it has maps and tons of stats, so I don´t have to pull any out of my ass.

For those interested in playing it I´ll leave a line of SpoilerSpace here:

for anyone still reading I´ll sum up the adventure now:
As the godess of the drow has left her race for a while, they are weak lilke babies, and so the obvious happens and a wizards see his chance for glory and invites an army of fire giants, kobolds and demons into his lovely city hoping to be the new ruler. But, alas, one of the families converted to a godess of death and destruction, and in the chaos of battle manages to wipe out the former rulers, and because we know clerics rock six ways to sunday manages to wipe out the archmage and his tower on the side. She holes up in the castle and summons a half ethereal temple with a sphere of negative energy as its core, wreaking all kinds of havoc with the weave. She the proceeds to research an epic level spell that will create legions of undead to conquer all known lands, while being hampered by the siege going on around her castle.
The players get drawn into this by increasing drow raids staged by her daughter who happened to take over a drow settlement near the surface. They'll have to first take out this settlement and the put a stop to the undead legion summoning business.
So while there will be plenty of opportunity to load off their riches in the first third of the campaign, while they are near the surface and teleport still works, during the latter parts getting out and keeping contact through regular means should be more difficult. And while they could ally themselves with the fire giants, they just as well couldn´t, so I am looking for alternative equipment drains.

END OF SPOILER
The players being a nice lot I could simply tell them not to worry about looting the place, but I´d like to give them an in-game way to drop off all that spare change they are bound to come across.

If they use planar binding to call a celestial and have him take the stuff back onto his plane to help equipping the heavenly host, he needn´t take them with him. If they are really keen on going home that should pose no problem as two planeshifts and a teleport should get them near anywhere. Getting back won´t be as easy as long range teleportation basically won´t work in the deeper reaches of the underdark

Sma

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

K wrote:Why not? How dumb and arbitrary is that? If I can have the Naga armor, I should be able to have the any other crap I find and make it into a signature item.

Because the whole point of signature items is that they define your character and don't get traded out.

It's as simple as that. As soon as one of your characters says:

Well, you were right, those are giant badgers. Can you guys wait up... I need to change my shirt back.
You've basically lost.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

rapanui at [unixtime wrote:1088823309[/unixtime]]

[Summon Great Fence Builder]

Would it be possible to get the whole alternative item system split into a different thread? That would be awesome. Besides, the discussion has kind of gone away from monster weaknesses to something much cooler.

[/dismiss (politely)]

[Wishmaster]
As you wish.
[/Wishmaster]

Game on,
fbmf
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

As a semi-relevant question, has anyone managed to figure out how they (I don't know. Skip? Monte?) came up with the current 'appropriate wealth by level system,' and why it should be considered balanced? As far as I can tell, it is a series of semi-random numbers that somebody pulled out of his ass.

It seems like the 'balanced' level and CR system really falls apart once you start throwing in all of the random appropriate wealth increases. Perhaps a more logical progression of wealth could smooth out level-based power leaps and stumbles (although all classes and 'builds' have their own issues).
Of course, I don't know what that system would be.

Frank: Regarding your idea, it seems like a decent balancing solution, but it would require massive overhaul of the current pricing system for EQ (which of course isn't balanced as it is, but I digress...).
After all, specific abilities (Bane qualities, single-use items, etc) can be taken and thrown away to suit the current adventure. It basically makes every adventure into a one-shot.

The idea of "signature items' also seems a balance issue. Are you going to give a specific gold piece value for total signature EQ per level, or will it be a wild card? If the second option is the case, you just destroyed all of the balance you tried to create. If the first is the case, signature EQ becomes a pointless frosting on the EQ by level cookie.

Oh, and not to beat my own drum (which means to beat my own drum), but I posted an EQ-system revision idea which, last time I checked, was at the bottom of the first 'IMHO' board page. Here is a link.
I take a rather different approach, and there are quite a few unresolved issues I have to work out (how to deal with gained EQ, for one...). However, at the very least it seems fairly balanced and dosen't sacrifice continuity.
I just wish the DMG's gp by level guidlines were a bit more balanced...

-Catharz Godsfoot
Username17
Serious Badass

Re:

Post by Username17 »

Catharz wrote:As a semi-relevant question, has anyone managed to figure out how they (I don't know. Skip? Monte?) came up with the current 'appropriate wealth by level system,' and why it should be considered balanced? As far as I can tell, it is a series of semi-random numbers that somebody pulled out of his ass.

Yes. No Idea.

It's not random, but it has been completely pulled out of an ass. Here's the reasoning:

1> Total bonuses should progress quasi-linearly as wealth increases.

2> People should diversify their holdings and have various magical doo-dads hanging off of every part of their body at all times.

:wtf: OK, whatever. It kind of follows from how Gygax apparently ran things, and can be considered a legacy concession. The natural result of course, is that they wanted it to be a larger jump between +3 and +2 than it was between +2 and +1 - as that way a relatively slight variation in wealth would still "ballpark" you into the same bonuses.

So the quadratic system was introduced for bonuses, as it provides for a cost per plus of 2N-1, where N is the current plus. So a +1 has a cost of 1, the second +1 has a cost of 3 (because N is 2), and the 12th +1 has a cost of 23 (because N is 12). Etcetera etcetera. This way, you have to have qualitatively more money to get each new plus than the one before it - as the money you scrape together to get each plus is 2 times the cost multiplier more than the previous plus.

And that, to an extent, makes sense. At least, provided that it is your intention that people move through a +3 bonus before getting a +4 bonus and after first having a +2 bonus.

Of course, then there's the whole thing with the Ring of Protection and the Amulet of Natural Armor, and all the other variously named bonuses available. They really change things considerably. Because with their inclusion, it is cheaper to get another object that adds +1 than it is to upgrade your first object to +2. It's cheaper to upgrade that second object to +2 than it is to upgrade a first object to +3, and so on and so on.

Which, by itself does make that happen. Now here's where it gets crazy: They decided to have the cost multiple be based on the "desirability" of the bonus. And then it falls apart big time.

It doesn't seem like it would, which is probably why it went to print, but it does. It sounds to a first aproximation like having a higher cost multiplier on desirable bonuses would cause people to diversify more, but that's not what happens at all. See, when the cost multiple is different, then it isn't always to your advantage to raise each bonus before you raise any particular bonus twice. And therefore you are looking at a situation where it is not a qualitative jump in cost between one bonus and the next sometimes. Take the Shield Enhancement Bonus and the Deflection bonus, for example: because the cost multiplier on the deflection bonus is double that of the shield enhancement bonus, it is cost effective to raise your deflection bonus by +1 for every 1.41 you raise your shield enhancement bonus. And that breaks up the pattern quite a bit, as the cost jump for +2 often ends up being quite comparable in qualitative terms to the cost jump for +1.

---

That's all secondary of course. Some of the assumptions made in there are just plain wrong. The thing where you only get half a magic item's value in trade-in really kicks the system in the nuts, because the cost of upgrading ends up being crazy-go-nuts expensive relative to saving up for a larger upgrade - which undermines the whole system.

The thing where spell-based items are also quadratic makes no sense at all on close examination because most utility spells don't actually replace anything previous. You don't "upgrade" your wand of Knock to a wand of Fly - you just keep the wand of Knock and eventually hope to get a wand of Fly as well. This lack of "trade-up" in spell items means that people are always attempting to get into spell-items "from the ground" - which is ironically exactly the thing that the system was designed to prevent you from doing. Which is why you've probably never seen anyone purchase a staff ever in your whole life.

And finally, but of course most obviously of all, bonus name inflation totally makes this concept explode. As soon as you introduce things which provide Insight Bonuses to AC, or Divine Bonuses to Saves, or whatever, there's just no hard guidelines on how much any particular bonus to AC is actually going to cost. If the 5th bonus to AC is coming from raising your shield bonus to +2 it costs 3k, but it only costs 2k to add an insight bonus to AC. And if the costs of each increase aren't knowable ahead of time, the wealth by level system is likewise unbalanceable.

Regarding your idea, it seems like a decent balancing solution, but it would require massive overhaul of the current pricing system for EQ (which of course isn't balanced as it is, but I digress...).

Oh sure. For example, you'd have to acknowledge the fact that "permanent items" aren't really permanent, but are each going to have a finite number of uses per adventure. You'd have to abandon the entire concept of the fifty-charge wand that can be used fifty times in one day because that's insane and always has been.

What you'd really have to get rid of, of course, is the entire thing where you can get 6 1st level effects for the cost of a 2nd level effect (or for +1 items for the cost of a +2 item). That's retarded. The cost scripting should encourage you to get the biggest items you can, which means that the cost of items should be based on logs instead of quadratics. For those of you at home, that means that the difference in cost between a +2 thing and a +1 thing should be more than the difference between a +3 thing and a +2 thing, not less.

You can avoid the "Giant Helmet of Real Ultimate Power" problem by simply putting a level based limit on how much can be spent on each item. By changing the limit of spending per item and the amount in total that people have to spend, you could set the number of items characters were running around with as well as the power of each item.

This price structure would also neatly sidestep most of the problems of bonus name inflation, since it would actually be more efficient to just have a more magical shield than it would be to introduce some item that gives Insight Bonuses. I say "most", and not "all", because you still have the problem that the more bonuses you introduce the more a specialized build can (and therefore should) give its magic items over to a single thing. If you allow Competence Bonuses to attacks, for example, an Archer Build is going to be retarded if one of its maxxed out items isn't a bow and another is a set of Bracers of Archery. And so on. As you add more bonuses, a specialized build is going to have more and more of its starting magic item slots given over to redundant functions - which is going to make characters basically less interesting. But it doesn't actually make the price structure collapse.

Note also, and this is extremely important, the price structure doesn't have to be in "gold". In fact, there's no reason for it to reference gold at any stage of the process - it can be in "points" or something similarly abstract. The only thing that's being quantified is how many magical bonuses the character walks into an adventure with and how relatively big those bonuses are. There's no reason why that needs to be expressed in terms of wealth in any meaningful fashion.

After all, specific abilities (Bane qualities, single-use items, etc) can be taken and thrown away to suit the current adventure. It basically makes every adventure into a one-shot.

To an extent, that's intentional. Characters in stories often go bear hunting with bear traps, for instance. And not all-purpose traps. Characters are expected, in such a circumstance, to wander around with tools they think they will need based on what they think they are doing. The special effect, of course, could be that you live in a ginormous mansion like Lara Croft and take one of the many tiki idols off the wall based on perceived need for the adventure, or that you trade your sword in on one that seems like it'll kill werewolves. Whatever, it's not important.

The idea of "signature items' also seems a balance issue.

Yes it is. A severe one.

A signature item differs from a normal item in that:

1> It probably isn't selected by the player.
2> It doesn't count against your level equipment at all.
3> It's better than your level equipment, whatever level you are.
4> It's going to continue to improve in its function for you as your level rises.
5> It's going to follow you from adventure to adventure and thus it actually matters if it breaks.

Is that a balance issue? Fvck yeah! Signature items are by their very nature unbalanced and subject to DM whim. But they are also a relatively small concession to the perceived need for people to be able to "accomplish acquisition" in a meaningful game manner. It also allows people to have really unique stuff, the fact that you have the Thunder Cloak makes your equipment different in a fundamental way from the equipment that one of the other Fighters could have no matter how closely they mimic your style.

Will it break the game? Possibly. The signature item is like the Artifact - it's in the DM's control and it has the power to break the rules. So obviously enough, a DM could quite easily allow it to slip through his fingers and go doggy-style on justice. But a DM always has the power to wreck the game with the simple inclusion of an encounter with a Girallon in an enclosed space - so I don't think I plan to lose sleep over the fact that the DM could also screw up the campaign with the inclusion of too many or too powerful signature items.

Oh, and not to beat my own drum (which means to beat my own drum), but I posted an EQ-system revision idea

The similarities between your system and mine are, of course obvious. The difference here is that in your system there is no reason to ever use any magic item you ever find except signature items - while as in this system people are encouraged to use any and all found props for the remainder of the current episode. That is, I think, a more satisfying approach. Having people wear Alantine Serpent Armor until the end of the story and then probably never mention it again except in passing in later stories is one thing, but having everybody actively avoid found magic items as having cooties seems a bit extreme.

I just wish the DMG's gp by level guidlines were a bit more balanced...

I really don't think the concept is salvageable. I mean, an all elven party can just decide to farm for a hundred years between adventures. Money just can't be a meaningful upper bound on power at all - it just can't work as long as players aren't locked in to a linear course of action. As long as players can have their characters perform a reasonably open-ended set of actions, methods of gaining wealth outside the adventure structure or stealing magical goods outside the level structure are unvoidable. And if that's allowed to significantly alter a character's place in the power structure then the battle for game balance is already lost.

-Username17
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1088811228[/unixtime]]
I still think that magic items need to be plot devices or flavor text, and not game and character essential components. The hero should not be helpless just because he's not wearing his minmaxxed sword and magic helmet. Madmardigan in Willow goes through like four different swords in that movie, and kicks butt using some or none of them. He doesn't even wear armor until the last quarter of the movie.

The real problem isn't weapons, because a fighter can live without a magical sword. At most it's a 5 point swing, and that's for a +5 sword. More than likely it's only going to be a 3 point difference. Which is significant, but it won't cripple him completely, because the majority of his benefits come from BaB and base strength, not from magic items.

The main problem really comes with AC. There are far far too many magical items for AC. A bunch of bonuses, probably deflection and natural armor enhancement, need to be swapped out for a defense bonus. This puts more of the power into the character himself and less so on his equipment.

As for fixing the pricing system, Frank is correct that it encourages people to cheat the quadratic progression by buying lots of different bonuses, and the only way to truly fix that is not to have items grant bonuses at all to AC. Instead they grant some kind of secondary stat, which you can call Defense Value or whatever. Each point of DV costs the same, and all DV stacks with each other. However, DV would translate to an AC bonus based on a quadratic progression.

So you wouldn't worry about what kind of bonuses you were getting, instead you'd just add up your various DV from sources. You'd have an amulet of +2 DV, a ring of +5 DV and so on. But a +6 DV item would be worth exactly as much as two +3 DV items. If you had a total of 1 DV, that would be a +1 AC, 4 DV would be a +2 AC, 9 would be a +3 and so on. That would go a long way to cleaning up the AC system and getting it back onto a more quadratic progression. It'd also eliminate the trend of getting 20 different bonuses to try to min/max your AC.

The problem of course, is that it's a lot more math intensive than the current system and you'd need a separate table to convert DV into AC.
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

"A signature item differs from a normal item in that:

1> It probably isn't selected by the player."

It shoud be contructed cooperatively by the player and DM. That way, the guy who wants to play the halfling with the ring of invisibility can do so, but at the same time it sticks to campaign parameters and balance requirements.

"2> It doesn't count against your level equipment at all."

Right-o.

"3> It's better than your level equipment, whatever level you are."

Absolutely. They should be used frequently and define your character. Items that match a character's personality is the goal. Bilbo and his ring (hiding/timid), Thor and his hammer (might and strength), Max Payne and his dual Ingrams (uncontrolled fury?), Drizzt and Icingdeath (err... maybe not), etc, ect.

"4> It's going to continue to improve in its function for you as your level rises."

Yes, besides that will calm all of the katana fanboys that want their phallic symbols to grow as they grow.

"5> It's going to follow you from adventure to adventure and thus it actually matters if it breaks."

This is a problem. Small artifacts can be easily stolen by some 1st level Rogue. This may lead to a character being able to either replace the item (Jedi replacing lost lightsaber) or at least have a good chance of tracking it down (Ringwraith senses the ring).

Despite me liking this idea, I don't necessarily think that heroes should be defined by their equipment. These should be things that are secondary to their powers, but relevant nonetheless.

Any of this making sense?
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

rapanui at [unixtime wrote:1088931777[/unixtime]]Max Payne and his dual Ingrams (uncontrolled fury?),

:wtf: Someone actually uses those? Assault rifle all the way.

If signature items are going to be optional then characters who don't want them should get some other benefit instead.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I can't actually think of a single fairy story character who is not defined by equipment or allies.

-Username17
Mole_2
1st Level

Post by Mole_2 »

Pardon my ignorance, but I totally fail to understand the problem.

In my games, PCs obtain valuables and magical items from time to time :

Some magic items they give away to NPC allies (as bribes, to curry favour, to pay off debts, to assist allies, or occcaisionally just cos they like someone);
some they trade for money or other magical items;
some they use until they expire or are destroyed;
some they upgrade;
some they use until they find something better
some they stash away in case they ever proove useful.

Its all part of the game.

Characters and parties evolve organically and items are part of that evolution. Players can get attached to quite trivial items, purely due to campaign circumstances, whilst being quite casual with 'powerful' items.
E.g. a newly found +3 sword being sold off to finance the upgrade of the trusty +1 sword that the character has used for most of their career.
In another game one character found a ring on a solo adventure and learned that it brought good luck, so he gave it to another character who had saved his life and that character wore it for the rest of the campaign even after it was found to be nothing more than a +1 ring.

IMO replacing that organic approach with an abstracted procession of items would diminish the romance of the game.
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

Funny, the romance of the game wasn't good enough for me, because we've entered a period of sepration as of roughly 6 months ago. The divorce papers are in the works too.

"Someone actually uses those? Assault rifle all the way."

I liked the Jackhammer best (after you finally got it), and the sawed-off shotgun as a backup. I said the ingrams because that's what I see as the signature weapon. Maybe I am misken.

"If signature items are going to be optional then characters who don't want them should get some other benefit instead."

Optional? No. Signature items would be key to this whole thing.

"I can't actually think of a single fairy story character who is not defined by equipment or allies."

Hmm... but D&D is generally thought to be more like a superheroes game than a fairy story game. It has more in common with Freedom Force than with Longest Journey (both great games I recommend). A character should be defined by both: powers and equipment. Wolverine has his claws and his regeneration, Gambit has his energy charge thing and his cards/stick, Psylock has her telekinetic ability and a great pair of... uhhh...

Anyhow, do we want to try and start throwing some numbers out there? Here's my rough take on it.

Level 1:
-Roughly 200GP for one-use items and supplies.
-Preferred armor and weapons.

Level 2:
-Roughly 400GP for one-use items and supplies.
-Masterwork weapons and armor. 1 slot with a +1 item

Level 3
-Roughly 600 GP for one-use items and supplies.
-Masterwork weapons and armor. 3 slots with a +1 item.

Level 4
-Roughly 800 GP for one-use items and supplies.
- +1 weapons and armor. 9 slots with a +1 item.
First Signature Item obtained on the way to 4th level.

Level 5
-Roughly 1000 GP for one-use items and supplies.
- +1 weapons and armor. 12 slots with a +1 item.

Level 6
-Roughly 1200 GP for one-use items and supplies.
- +2 weapons and armor. 1 slot with a +2 item.

Level 7
-Roughly 1400 GP for one-use items and supplies.
- +2 weapons and armor. 3 slots with a +2 item.

Level 8
-Roughly 1600 GP for one-use items and supplies.
- +3 weapons and armor. 6 slots with a +2 item.
- Second Signature item obtained on the way to 8th level.

Level 9
-Roughly 1800 GP for one-use items and supplies.
- +3 weapons and armor. 9 slots with a +2 item.

Level 10
-Roughly 2000 GP for one-use items and supplies.
- +4 weapons and armor. 12 slots with a +2 item.

and so on... I'm sure you got the pattern about 4 paragraphs back. Note that this gives +10 weapons/armor at 20th level, but since we're changing how stuff works Epic items need to get retooled as well. Not that I touch that epic shit with a 10 foot pole mind you.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I think the growth should be more tapered. It should, in short, look more like the spells per day chart.

It feels a little bit weird when you have +3 stuff all over just after you had +2 stuff all over. Instead, people should have some finite number of pieces of equipment (say 10), and that those should be set up to grow at a rate which is uneven.

So, to pull numbers entirely out of my ass, when you have a +4 piece of equipment, you should also have like two +3 pieces of equipment, and like 4 pieces of +2 equipment, and the rest of your stuff should be +1. Something like that.

As to having a cost system by which people can trade having a more powerful piece of equipment for more pieces of weaker equipment - that should in general be frowned upon. Seriously. And the best way to do that is with a log scale for costs. Something like this:

Bonus/ Points
+1 / 10
+2 / 16
+3 / 20
+4 / 24
+5 / 27
+6 / 29
+7 / 30

Or something, you know, whatever.

Then you limit people to spending no more than 24 points on a single item, and no more than 20 points on two more items, and so on and so forth. So if people want to have more smaller items at the cost of their +4 item, they can - but they shouldn't get more total bonuses that way. Having more different items is generally advantageous, because it means that if you end up losing something or replacing something with a new object you are giving up less of your bonuses.

The paradigm where you spend quadratically for a bigger bonus to something is backwards - getting a bigger bonus in one basket is inferior to getting an equal bonus split up into several baskets.

-Username17