Spells that prevent Stunning

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

dbb
Knight

Spells that prevent Stunning

Post by dbb »

I could really use one that's 5th level or below, and has a duration in hours -- but 10 min/level is okay. If it's already a Wizard spell, that's a bonus, but I can work with Cleric or Druid.

Shapechange would do the trick (well, really, what trick does Shapechange not do?), but is too high level. Same with Iron Body. Polymorph might do it, depending on exactly how the crack-addled Polymorph rules are interpreted, but the duration is short and it'd really be nice to have it without needing to get into that argument.

Since immunity to death effects is 4th level, I'd think immunity to being stunned would be available by then. Then again, if my brain were working I probably would have found one by now.

--d.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Re: Spells that prevent Stunning

Post by Essence »

Favor of Ilmater, from Cheese Burst.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Kiss of the Vampire.

From the same book :rolleyes:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Kiss of the Vampire doesn't work anymore. The new version is a 7th level spell that causes you to br treated as Undead for the purposes of spells and effects - it doesn't actually make you Undead. So you can be hit with command undead, but you don't actually get the Undead Traits. So you don't lose a pile of hit points for your Con going away, you can still run - but you aren't immune to anything.

I'm not sure why anyone would cast the 7th level version from Spell Compendium. I realize that the version from Cheese Burst was unfair, but it's been over nerfed to the point where people just don't even want it.

Any ability that changes your type into something that is immune to Stunning will do it - so polymorph or shapechange can make you immune to stunning. Wildshape doesn't anymore because the errataed version doesn't change your type (assuming of course that you figure out the incredibly complex 4 source inheritance structure).

Further, most sources of stunning come from mind affecting magic or fortitude saves that affect creatures only - so a lot of things that aren't specifically immune to stunning are immune to any source of stunning you'll ever encounter.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

FrankTrollman wrote:Kiss of the Vampire doesn't work anymore. The new version is a 7th level spell that causes you to br treated as Undead for the purposes of spells and effects - it doesn't actually make you Undead. So you can be hit with command undead, but you don't actually get the Undead Traits. So you don't lose a pile of hit points for your Con going away, you can still run - but you aren't immune to anything.

Crap. Well I guess a weak mind blank is better for 'balance' than the old spell. :bored:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It's not a weak mindblank, it doesn't provide any protection from mental effects at all. In fact, it makes you vulnerable to more effects - as a turning check can cause you to panic or become stunned (not kidding). The new version is just a highly nerfed version of the 3rd edition eyebite, where you get one enervation or vampiric touch per round instead of having a grip of death effects. Of course, the 3.5 eyebite was already nerfed to the point where you didn't care.

So really it's just part of the general rule where Necromancy is not allowed to have nice things.

-Username17
dbb
Knight

Post by dbb »

That Favor of Ilmater thing looks workable. I should have known to check in Faerun. :rolleyes:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Obviously, it's meant for Vampires to teach to their Charmed minions when they want to pretend to be a Succubus.

-Crissa