Ancestral Relic Shield

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Neeek
Knight-Baron

Ancestral Relic Shield

Post by Neeek »

Hey guys.

After dying twice in two weeks in a campaign I'm in, I have decided to try to avoid that. Anyway, I'm taking the Ancestral Relic feat from BoED for my shield, and I intended to use it as a weapon as well as a shield(Captain America-style, I guess). Any thoughts on what to special abilities to put on it?

I'm only 6th level starting, so I was think of making it a +1 Bashing shield to start, and then raising it to a +1 Bashing, Ranged(XPH) shield at 7th. After that, I have no idea what to do, and I'll have +7 more shield spaces and +10 weapon spaces left to eventually use(and an addition +80,000 worth of random stuff, I guess). I'm getting Imp Trip and Shock Trooper, so anything that would help with either Bullrushing or Tripping would probably be nice.

Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Ancestral Relic Shield

Post by Username17 »

Here's a little character I made for a guy in our game:

Human Rogue 3/Fighter 1/Paladin 2

Feats:
Dodge
Combat Expertise
Mobility
Improved Trip
Allied Defense (FR:SS)
Elusive Target (CW)

Equipment of note:
+1 Darkwood Tower Shield
+1 Platemail
+1 One-handed Weapon of Sudden Stunning (DMGII)
Handy Haversack

2,000 gp more of weird bonuses (I like the Cloak of Resistance).
---

You have enough skill points that you can really contribute to the party as a trap monkey or diplomat, and when you provoke an AoO while moving during Expertise your AC shoots up to 35 and when your target misses you you'll get a bonus trip against them at +4 and a free attack on top of that if it succeeds. You provide a +5 AC bonus to your adjacent friends and really are quite survivable against everything except Willpower Saves (and even then you get to add your Charisma bonus to your Wisdom Bonus for that purpose).

With your BAB of +5 and 2 dice of sneak attack with a weapon of sudden Stunning you'll be able to contribute offensively to a decent enough degree. A nice, tightly synergized character that will be a contributing character until about level 13 and by then you'll have a Cohort spellcaster who will be the real power at the table.

-Username17