Get Your Buff On d20 Modern Style

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Get Your Buff On d20 Modern Style

Post by Lago_AM3P »

It's actually dead simple.

Get Urban Arcana, so you have the rules for online spellcasting. Actually, the rules for online spellcasting are in the goddamn SRD on the WotC website, so there's no reason why you aren't using it anyway.

Here's the tricky part. You will want to somehow get a way you can use a cellphone. There are several ways, but if you want to always be able to call people, I suggest springing for the Eldritch cell phone. It's badass.

Next, hook up the Eldritch cell phone to your laptop or PDA or whatever. And download all of the buffs you prepared ahead of time.

This isn't all THAT twinky. Since the spell has to be targeted, that leaves out personal buffs (unless you're taking advantage of this crap) and vivilor twinkery. Furthermore there's a 72 hour limit to this game and I believe that the game hates The Frank Cheat. Furthermore, most of the buffs suck in d20 modern, period.

You may walk away with the equivalent of a total +4 or 5 bonus to your attacks, AC, extra hp that don't really matter in this game, and saves and a few other goodies. But there's an advanced class in d20 future that has the OMG ability to add huge to every check they make in return for sacrificing any real combat ability because you're giving up the ability to take full round actions. But in d20 cyberscape, there's an enhancement that gives you two extra move-equivalent actions a day. So.

But still, I just thought it was funny to point out that the simple advancement of modern society can open up a whole new real of cheats and twinkery, eh? I guess if you're emulating a modern or future setting and you're depending on the limits of technology to balance it, you'd better make damn sure that the technology in the set is the limit of what you can get.

Which is actually kind of stupid. Earlier editions of Shadowrun seem hopelessly backwards to me. Not in mechanics, but just in theme.