D&D 'The Phantom Menace'

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

D&D 'The Phantom Menace'

Post by PhoneLobster »

Crissa wrote:Then we might get a poorly thoughtout relaunch of 3.5 called 4.0

I propose there is a significantly high likelyhood that 4.0...

...will never be called 4.0

(for a start after the outcry about 3.5 there will be no .0, even if there does end up being a .5 event of some kind, maybe they'll call 4.5 "Advanced" or "Plus").

But I suggest that they may be so damn wanky that they won't even call it 4.

There is probably a frighteningly good chance it will be D&D + subtitle.

Like something useless like, "D&D Next" or "D&D Ultimate" or "D&D We lost count"

Windows operating systems and the new Paranioa game have proven that numbering is soooo Windows 2000. Its all about meaningless acronyms (maybe "D&D XTR") and vaguely cool sounding words (maybe "D&D Excite").

Failing anything else I'd bet that if the number four appears it will be either, or both, the ENTIRE title, and written in BIG FAT ROMAN NUMERALS. so maybe the next edition will just be "IV".

Go ahead, speculate on the what they intend to call "D&D the next generation". Or ignore me and use this thread for your own nefarious purposes. The D&D production line hate would probably fit as well here as it does on other hijacked threads.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Re: D&D 'The Phantom Menace'

Post by Neeek »

I think they'll skip 4 entirely and go straight to 5.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Maybe they'll call it "Dungeons and Dragons," just like they did after changing the font for AD&D 2e.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

No no no, it works like this:

D&D
D&D + Unearthed Arcana
AD&D
2nd Edition AD&D
2nd Edition + Skills and powers
3rd Edition
3.5 D&D
D&D Championship Edition
D&D Hyper Fighting
Super D&D: The New Rulebooks
Super Turbo D&D
D&D Alpha
D&D Alpha 2
D&D Alpha 3
D&D vs. Xmen
D&D vs. Marvel
Hasbro vs. Marvel 2
Hasbro vs. SNK
Hasbro vs. SNK 2

...D&D 4.

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You missed "Greyhawk". And of course the D&D boxed sets.

So when do you think they'll send aloft D&D Zero, the D&D prequel game... ?

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Wasn't the new Chainmail supposed to be D&D Zero?

-Crissa
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Hey that list missed second edition basic.

You can't miss that.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
SirWayne
1st Level

Post by SirWayne »

Hmm, but what about D&D 3: 2nd Critical or D&D 3: 3rd Splatbook? Can't forget the Street Fi-- I mean, D&D products that were actually good.

(Heh, I played a low-LA Kolyarut once, heavily based on Q, even down to the EX Dash (Valorous fists and those Monk shoes from S&F). Man, I was such a SF fanboy. :sad: )

And hey, now that Josh brings it up, you can't forget Dark Sun = Red Earth, Eberron = Rival Schools, Planescape = Darkstalkers, and....

(Personally, I'm betting on "D&D X." Can't be "D&D Zero" [though it matches the D&D = SF theme...], but D&D's already gone from 3 to 0. :])
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Night Warriors, the second Dark Stalkers game was actual a White-Wolf Licensed World of Darkness product.

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
SirWayne
1st Level

Post by SirWayne »

Really now? Never knew that. Heh, neat, I'll have to toss that one at my gaming group next time.

*wonders if Demitri is a rules-legal WoD vampire >_>*