Epic Spellcasting Awesomeness

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Epic Spellcasting Awesomeness

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Okay. One of my DMs has lost her damn mind and is giving me the ability to cast and create epic spells more or less or I feel, except with one cost: no mitigating factors involving extra spellcasters.

So here's sort of what I want to do:

Craft an epic spell (Super Hokuto Shinken or somesuch) that will:

A. Give the supernatural ability of the Choker in the MM, 'quickness', which allows it to take an extra partial action per round.
B. Give the supernatural ability of the blink dog, which allows you to dimension door once per round as a free action AND act after it.
C. Gives eye rays, like the beholder.

I'm willing to use almost any method to get the DC as low as possible, except for planar binding or taking spells from anyone else.

Oh. And the character has to more or less look like the guy you started out as.

I'm operating under the assumption that using epic spellcasting for anything but cheese is weak (and even the cheese you can do is sort of weak)--as all of the above doesn't stack up to using a non-epic spell slot to change into a demilich, but, whatever.

Identify the stuff that went into the final DC if you want, but if you don't, I won't hate you.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Epic Spellcasting Awesomeness

Post by Username17 »

Epic Spells are for some reason the exclusive provence of Clerics and Druids. If you are an Arcane Caster, you may as well not have them at all contrasted with what the Divine Casters can do.

And why is that? Because Clerics get the all-important "Life" seed and Arcane Casters don't. The Life Seed is duration "Instantaneous" - which means that it is both the shortest (which means that it always takes precedence), and that it lasts forever and can't be dispelled. Thus, anything with the Life Seed in it is fundamentally superior to anything else because it is cheaper, better, and longer lasting.

So you want a spell that creates a new body with all those supernatural abitilities and instantly true reincarnates you into it (leaving your old body soulless on the floor).

Seeds: Transport (27), Life (27), Fortify (17), 4 special abilities out of the monster manual (40).

So your DC is 111, and it resets your age (the cost to increase your physical stats at this point is trivial).

Mitigating factors:

Personal (-2)
Kills old body with "backlash" without possibility of raising (- your level x2)
Casting time 10 minutes (-18)
Costs 1,000 XP (-10)

Now, I'm assuming you are 21st level. This means that this spell has a DC of 39. You have 24 ranks in Spellcraft, so you should be able to make the DC alll the friggin time.

If you are an Arcane Caster, you are totally boned. You have to replace the Life Seed with the Transform Seed, and can't use the Backlash, and have to multiply the initial DC by 5 before jmitigating factors - so the above spell would instead have a DC of 525 and be dispellable and not make you young when used.

-Username17
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Epic Spells are for some reason the exclusive provence of Clerics and Druids. If you are an Arcane Caster, you may as well not have them at all contrasted with what the Divine Casters can do.

And why is that? Because Clerics get the all-important "Life" seed and Arcane Casters don't. The Life Seed is duration "Instantaneous" - which means that it is both the shortest (which means that it always takes precedence), and that it lasts forever and can't be dispelled. Thus, anything with the Life Seed in it is fundamentally superior to anything else because it is cheaper, better, and longer lasting.

I don't think that the 'Life' seed was restricted to divine spellcasters--you just needed twenty four ranks of knowledge/religion or knowledge/nature. I've looked through the errata, FAQ, and both the SRD and the book, but I haven't seen anything stating that you actually need 9th level divine spellcasting for this seed. Just the skill ranks.

Which is yet another kick in the crotch to sorcerors, but I don't really care.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

On page 55 it says that you can cast Epic Spells based on your Knowledge Religion iff you are a Divine Caster.

On page 72 it says that slots gained from Knowledge "divine" (errata: Religion; implied errata: "or Nature") are divine slots.

On page 88 it says that a spell with the Heal or Life seed always uses a Divine Slot.

So working backwards, in order to cast a spell with the Life Seed you need to have a Divine Slot. Your Divine Slots are the ones which come from your Knowledge Religion. You only get slots from your Knowledge: Religion if you are already a Divine Spellcaster.

So if you are an Arcane Spellcaster you don't get slots from your Knowledge Religion and therefore do not have any Divine Epic Slots, and can't cast any Divine Epic Spells. So anyting with the Heal or Life Seed is off limits.

The Heal Seed is asstastical - but the Life Seed is horrendously powerful and the best thing since beer.

Remember, the only reason why you even have the ability to cast Epic Spells is because you have Epic Slots in the first place - which come from the Epic Spellcasting Feat exclusively. The "Arcane Spellcasters can't cast Divine Epic Spells" limitation isn't actually in the Epic Spells section - it's in the feat description.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

You might want to add the Chronotryryn's Dual Mind power, which gives you an extra full round action each round.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Where is the Chronotryryn from?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Maj at [unixtime wrote:1077675111[/unixtime]]Where is the Chronotryryn from?

Fiend Folio, Page 33.

Game On,
fbmf
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Love ya, hon!

Thanx!

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

:blush:

Game On,
fbmf