The end of the clerical archer?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

The end of the clerical archer?

Post by Lago_AM3P »

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... ]Basically, we were thinking of scaling Persistent Spell by the duration of the spell you were making persistent:

1 hour/level = +1 spell level
10 min/level = +2 spell level
1 min/level = +4 spell level
1 minute = +6 spell level
1 round/level = +6 spell level

However, I don't have the developed text for Player's Guide here, so I don't know exactly how that ended up.[/quote]

However, this is the Forgotten Realms campaign setting whatever. I dunno what the writeup is going to be for Complete Arcane or whatever.

Will this spell the end of the clerical archer? Or will the time domain and quicken spell suddenly become much more popular? Stay tuned.
da_chicken
Journeyman

Re: The end of the clerical archer?

Post by da_chicken »

Meh. I always thought they should just change it to a flat x10 duration for +3 or +4 levels and let it work on everything in the game that Extend can.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I wonder what the new metamgic Rod of Persistent Spell will look like. Or if they even remember to post a revision!

I still think Quicken Spell will be decent replacement for Persistent Spell for the Cleric Archer.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Expect more Cleric Archers to be based on the Travel domain, as Quicken-based Cleric Archers benefit much more from being the attacker in a scry-port encounter than do Persistent-based Cleric Archers.

To a very great degree it doesn't much matter - you can still have a Quickened Divine Power, Greater Magic Weapon lasts all day anyways, and Weapon of Energy can be made permanent.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Frank wrote:
and Weapon of Energy can be made permanent.

Please tell me you are making that up.

No, somehow I doubt you are.

So I could make a +1Screaming Longbow into a +1 Flaming, Shocking, Frosting Longbow by spending a few thousand XP?

Game On,
fbmf
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The spell is personal, for 10,000 XP you can every weapon you ever pick up be a flaming burst, shocking burst, screaming burst, caustic burst, icy burst weapon for the duration you carry it.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

So it only works for bursts? That's at least a little more comforting.

Game On,
fbmf
Thoth_Amon
Journeyman

Post by Thoth_Amon »

I don't know why. Bursts are better as they include the standard enchantment and do additional damage on a critical. They are a poor investment when enchanting a weapon, but if it costs no more to make a flaming Burst weapon vs a Flaming weapon the burst is better. (Except possibly Screaming as I no longer thing the non burst option is available, or maybe I am thinking thundering.)

SRD wrote:A flaming burst weapon functions as a flaming weapon that also explodes with flame upon striking a successful critical hit.

TA
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I was thinking it only applied to crits. Had a momentary attack of Dumbass. I apologize.

Game On,
fbmf

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1077650585[/unixtime]]I was thinking it only applied to crits. Had a momentary attack of Dumbass. I apologize.

Game On,
fbmf

Dude, that's awesome. :lol:
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Thank you.

Game On,
fbmf