Tomb of Xagyg: Solo Dungeon & Dragons Adventure

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Onwards indeed.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Side Passage
After traveling for about 30 feet, you become aware of a side passage to your right - it is wider than the main corridor, some 20 feet in width and 30 feet long, and ends with a door on the right.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Take the side passage.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

agreed
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I disagree, as it is not the leftmost choice, but I bow to the will of the majority.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Margo successfully navigates the broad side-passage, and stands before the door.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Open door, examine beyond.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, like, is most of this just going to be descriptions of hallways and the like with the occasional monster/trap?

... Why did Gygax think this would be fun?

Ah, well.

I say we knock, to be polite... then kick the door's teeth in.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

So, like, is most of this just going to be descriptions of hallways and the like with the occasional monster/trap?

... Why did Gygax think this would be fun?
It's iterative dungeon design. It's the equivalent of randomly rolling Outdoor Encounter Checks and calling it a wilderness trek. So that people who cannot get a table of gamers together can game by themselves.

You knock on the door. There is a sound of movement behind it, and a yapping like dogs. You kick open the door...

...to reveal four small humanoids, barely coming up to Margo's waist. They are somewhat doglike, with pointed ears, but they wear tiny clothing fitted to suit their forms, and wield effective-looking short swords.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Hm. The last time we had an encounter, it didn't end so well for Morgan.

Do they look friendly, or do they seem like they want to tear Margo's throat out?

Also, will all our heroes have names with M, R, G, and O? I hope so.
Half asleep upon my knee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

They look hungry. There's drool coming off their fangs, and their muzzles are quivering.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Sleep it up.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Put the doggies to sleep.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Margo mutters an incantation, words of power that bend reality to her whim as the dog-faced humanoids come closer, growling and yapping, blades at the ready to split her guts and release the tasty morsels inside...and then, without a word, they collapse to the ground, eyes fluttering, closing, staying still.

Sleeping, all the fury and fight has left them.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Coup de gras each in turn, then go through their pockets, look for loose change.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Margo cuts their throats, letting them bleed out peacefully in their sleep. She then roots through the bodies, finding 19 gold pieces in their pockets.

Margo gains 19 XP.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Call it a day and come back when we've got our spell back?
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Speaking as a low-level wizard... yeah, that's probably smart. Not valiant, but cautiously smart ;D.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The Next Day
Sleep comes fitfully, but no wandering monsters bother Margo. She wakes hungry, the torch exhausted, the bodies smelling foul...but as fresh as might be expected. With care, she forces herself to re-memorize the powerful formula of the spell, dreaming of the day when she might wield greater magics.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Would it be too metagamey to dump all our treasure in the entrance room, as opposed to carrying it around and it being dumped with our body when we run into the monster that kills us?

Oh, and steal the swords.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Did we sleep in the room with the doggie-folk? Is the doggie-flesh edible? If so, we should breakfast on it. Mmm.
Half asleep upon my knee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I mean, you still have iron rations. And nothing with which to make a fire except your dagger and some torches. But if that's what you want to do, sure.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I vote against eating weird monster meat that might have who-knows-what diseases in it. Pound jerky.

I'm pretty sure we can't effectively use the shortswords, but take 'em if they don't weigh us down, they could be useful for barter or impromptu spikes or something.

Are there any ways out of this room besides the way we came in? If not, back to the main passage and proceed.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed with angel.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

There are no other apparent exits so, leaving the bodies of the kobolds behind, Margo returns to the main passage, and turns right, down the way she had not come before.

After thirty feet, Margo arrives at another side passage leading off to the right - again, 20 feet wide, and ending at a door - although this time it is on the left side of the end of the passage.