[Dom3] Draft: Etimhara Victorious

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Sad that I won't be able to play this, but once everything is decided, can I get sent out a mod with the draft so I can get a decent look at what people chose and run some playtests for fun?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Ikeren wrote:Sad that I won't be able to play this, but once everything is decided, can I get sent out a mod with the draft so I can get a decent look at what people chose and run some playtests for fun?
Yeah, the mod should be available.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

Edomite Scout
Tador
1st Level

Post by Tador »

i take the Slayer from Abysia
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

What's desirable about giant scouts? They're more expensive and less stealthy.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Drafting Scouts is complete. Drafting Generals.

Nimtir drafts the Ilithid Lord.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Orion wrote:What's desirable about giant scouts? They're more expensive and less stealthy.
You can thug them out and use them as soldiers. Also: they can often beat the crap out of small province defenses, meaning that they can go from reporting the news to being the news at a moment's notice. Giant scouts also come with high-power javelins, meaning that if you're invading a province you can have them join in the festivities and kill stuff.

That being said: I'm actually surprised no one took the Forester. A Scout that comes with a short bow is surprisingly useful.

-Username17
Tador
1st Level

Post by Tador »

im taking Jotun Herse from jontunheim.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Orion wrote:What's desirable about giant scouts? They're more expensive and less stealthy.
Scout Propeth Giant might be able to Thug? Generally Thug abilities?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Giant nations have a lot of giant chassis units to thug out, so they don't care much for their loud pricy scouts. In a mix-and-match game, things are different. I wanted at least one recruitable thug chassis and the scout round was a fine moment for it. I don't care if a thug can't lead troops. As far as thugs go, the Jotun is beefier than the Edomite and also Sacred; it's a good time.

Don't get me wrong, I would have snapped up any of the ones I dammit'd over earlier, but between the Jotun and the Atavi (the other contender by the time it got to me) - I took the Jotun.

Somewhat concerned about Winnah taking a Spy first. He must have a very strong taste for causing unrest.
FrankTrollman wrote:I'm actually surprised no one took the Forester. A Scout that comes with a short bow is surprisingly useful.
I don't understand why there aren't more scout bowmen. Seems weird.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Zinegata wrote:Taking the Bakemono Scout 1963 (Shinamuya)
Dammit!
Teehee. I'm glad to see I am not the only person who wanted this sleeper gem. And Frank had a similar idea by getting the Atevi Chieftain.

I was fairly confident I'd get this though. Because no competent player would pass up the two flying scouts, and there were so many good assassin / thug choices.
Huh, finding choice kinda difficult myself, now. What a time for the wiki to be down.
I seriously made an SP game that had all of the nations human-controlled so I can have a reference on every nation's units because the wiki is down.
That being said: I'm actually surprised no one took the Forester. A Scout that comes with a short bow is surprisingly useful.
A short bow plus Precision 12. He's the best cheap guy to give a Bow of War to.

One thing I'm surprised that didn't get drafted: Shinamuya's assassin with fear.
Last edited by Zinegata on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
K
King

Post by K »

I looked at the Mujina, but it's a 100 gold assassin with no armor.

That being said, my real choices were down to the Bandit Leader for the leadership, a sea scout, or the last giant. I went with the giant because a cheap recruitable who can hold magic items and not die to stray arrows or a single battlefield spell is really nice.
Last edited by K on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Commander. Strategos 746

Tough call. Was hoping for the mind flayer. I'll settle for the expert leadership, rally and fairly low cost.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Ilithid Lord is expensive, but he has a strong ranged attack and can lead magic troops. That gives me a significant boost to my province defense, and a lot of flexibility with my 3rd and 4th troop drafts.

-Username17
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Rephaite Commander 2009 (Ashdod)

Oy, I should probably take the Storm General instead! But the Raphaite Commander is thuggable, and if I end up with some flying troops I can always have the harpy lead them if-need-be.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Don't worry, I'll give 'er a good home.

Ulvolge calls the Storm General 418
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Before we hit Priests, need to ask: Blood Sacrifice is based on the nation, right? So none of our nations will be able to Blood Sacrifice?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Correct.

And non will have cold or heat preference.
Last edited by Korwin on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Tribal King (Mictlan)
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

If we did another draft game in future, what do people think about drafting a single "National Advantage" like Heat or Cold 2, Scrying Dominion, Conscription or Blood Sac?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Would be for it, but it would be a really great advantage to get to draft first there.
120 Free points if you get to draft cold 3, bonus if you got to draft an unit like the jotun jarl...

So maybe I'm not really for it? Not shure...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I'm not surprised to see someone take the Mictlan Tribal King, but I am surprised to see him selected sixth. In any case, the provisional flags are in. If you want yours changed, just ask:

Those are in order of them being selected:
Ulvolge, Nimtir, Tsimzan, Carthacia, Sachs, Etimhara, Amblis, Huichan, Manditou.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

People apparently have issues with free chaff for some reason :confused:

Picking Minotaur Lord 236 (Pangaea)
Last edited by Zinegata on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

FrankTrollman wrote:I'm not surprised to see someone take the Mictlan Tribal King, but I am surprised to see him selected sixth.
I'm confused. Did you expect him to be picked later, or earlier?
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I thought about the Tribal King. Spending turns to gain units is a cool feature that remains fairly useful throughout a game.

However, I go last in the priest draw, so outside of my prophet I'm not assured of having a basic comander that can boost morale. It's always a concern for me in the first few turns of expansion with a regular/starting army.