Friendship is Magic

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Prak_Anima wrote:Finally watching Episode 4x3, apparently "Magic" is synonymous with "Courage." Certainly none of the other elements have much.
Kind of. She was more just oblivious, however. Not so much not afraid as obsessed, so not paying attention.

This weeks was a bit weirder. The 'Rainbow Dash learns a lesson' episodes are becoming increasingly surreal. Last season's Wonderbolt Camp went about it in a way completely opposite from what I expected (RD getting arrogant and cocky would have made as much if not more sense). And this was... weird. That they all just stood around for the first half was weirdly bizarre, yet alone going along with Rainbow's hairbrained idea in the first place. It should have seemed inappropriate to Twilight (who didn't protest nearly enough) and Rarity, irrelevant to Applejack and far too intrusive for Fluttershy. I could have seen Pinkie going along with it, and structuring the confrontation around Pinkie distracting the baddies with a severe WTF! moment, while Daring and RD do the heavy lifting. But the group solo adventure was really odd and clumsy.

First time we've seen really violent, criminal types in modern Equestria, however.

Also side weirdness: where the fuck are they keeping that journal? It looks like a palace, presumably the Everfree Castle, but... why? It is a fair hike for all of them, the castle was structurally unsounds, and the Forest isn't _that_ safe, even though we can pretty safely say that it isn't the hotbed of monsters and chaos that fanon makes it out to be.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Voss wrote:Also side weirdness: where the fuck are they keeping that journal? It looks like a palace, presumably the Everfree Castle, but... why? It is a fair hike for all of them, the castle was structurally unsounds, and the Forest isn't _that_ safe, even though we can pretty safely say that it isn't the hotbed of monsters and chaos that fanon makes it out to be.
Actually, that's Rainbow Dash's house. You've seen her place before, a veritable cloud castle from the outside; and apparently the interior matches the splendour. I'm guessing Dash comes from money.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

virgil wrote:
Voss wrote:Also side weirdness: where the fuck are they keeping that journal? It looks like a palace, presumably the Everfree Castle, but... why? It is a fair hike for all of them, the castle was structurally unsounds, and the Forest isn't _that_ safe, even though we can pretty safely say that it isn't the hotbed of monsters and chaos that fanon makes it out to be.
Actually, that's Rainbow Dash's house. You've seen her place before, a veritable cloud castle from the outside; and apparently the interior matches the splendour. I'm guessing Dash comes from money.
Hmm. They've apparently changed the design a bit from the Gilda episode back in ep 1. Its all very cloud looking, with nothing resembling a tower- let alone interior stonework and a pedestal . The more recent images that pop up in google have a very tower like structure, however.

Go down to 'residence' on this page:
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Rainbow_Dash

I was thinking of the S1 episodes 6 and 10 design, and not the design from Party of One onwards. Didn't connect it to the bedroom from the original daring doo episode either, and probably should have.

She doesn't have to come from money, though. She could just repurpose supplies that come to her from Cloudsdale. She is on the weather team after all, if not the (or one of the) lead weather ponies for Ponyville.
Last edited by Voss on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Stahlseele wrote:yu are a week behind O.o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Xx1hdseXGk
It's not really a priority show for me, so yeah, I let the episodes go for a bit.
Virgil wrote:Actually, that's Rainbow Dash's house. You've seen her place before, a veritable cloud castle from the outside; and apparently the interior matches the splendour. I'm guessing Dash comes from money.
I would imagine pegasi live pretty comfortably given they have a monopoly on weather control and could just let the other ponies live in a drought if they wanted to.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

The new one is running around. Its very much a CMC (and Dash) episode, and they learn a lesson and stuff.

Not particularly, interesting, though Scoots apparently does have a bedroom... somewhere. And her inability to fly is apparently abnormal for her age and... no one gives two shits about it, to the point that it teeters wildly for a moment between 'we care about you no matter what' and 'we don't give a flying fuck about your hopes, fears and insecurities.' And then the scene changes and they just don't resolve that in any way at all.

Sure part of it was trampled beneath the 'big moral' for the episode, but it was really weird to have Rainbow Dash give the 'who the fuck cares about flying' line. While flying, just to rub that shit in.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Returned from a MLP card game event, managing to win the special Nightmare Moon villain card. We would have bought more than the entrant two booster packs, but these two guys got there when the store opened and bought all of the boosters the store had for themselves.

The system is surprisingly robust without being too complicated. I actually heard a few literally complain that it wasn't a M:tG rip-off. Digging through the duplicates, my wife managed to figure out a way to make a mono-element deck; which seemed surprising the way the decks we were given seemed to be designed.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm honestly surprised and perplexed that WotC isn't making it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Enterplay had the rights to MLP as just trading cards, so them deciding to move onto a CCG and using that as leverage isn't surprising.

Judging by how WotC posited MLP d20 on April Fool's and how we don't even see M:tG's art cross over (let alone the setting stuff) into D&D, I think WotC might actually prefer to keep it this way. After all, they'd have to pull resources out of their M:tG team to get something worth bothering, and that can plausibly hurt their primary product more.
Last edited by virgil on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
erik
King

Post by erik »

I certainly approve of Hasbro giving the rights to MLP to someone other than WotC. Better for everyone. Certainly if there is a RPG to be made from MLP, nobody would want the WotC team to touch it.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

ok 4x5 was a typical CMC episode, so pretty much sub par . . .
that guest-pony person i remembered from last season and it made me want to quit the entire episode after 10. seconds. flat.

err, i meant 4x5, i am getting the numbering mixed up there . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Stahlseele wrote:ok 4x5 was a typical CMC episode, so pretty much sub par.
Well, the thing with most of the CMC episodes is that they are some of the few that are actually heavily focused on the intended demographic of the show. As in little girls actually learning about the moral anvil dropped by the TV execs because they think it is something All Little Girls Must Know. Without, of course, dealing with any complex issues that come up, like why Scoots needs a surrogate big sister/parent, her fears about not being a real pegasus, or what really happens with bullying when it isn't magically solved by telling an adult.

And it is really difficult to be anvillicious and tell a good story at the same time.

But really, I'm glad they got it out of the way early. After 4 and 5, hopefully the rest of the season will get back on track.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, apparently I completely missed the episode One Bad Apple last season.

5 minutes into episode: the most accurate depiction of being the new kid in town with low self esteem I've ever seen.

Also, the A Team reference just made me perfectly ok with CMC episodes. This needs to happen in every CMC episode.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

yeah, nobody tell me again that little girls are the target demographic with a-team, tron and back to the future references in episodes!

also:
baaaats!

The Fandom works fast . .

i was kinda disappoint, that nopony thought to utter the phrase Bat-Country ._.

edited for fixing broken tags <.<
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

As much as I also wish Twilight had mentioned Bat Country, I think referencing Fear and Loathing might be a bit much...

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, you're probably right . .
Still, it would have been oh so fitting, both because of the Bat part and because of the Country part ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

If Lauren Faust has to compulsively reference The Big Lebowski in her stuff, then whoever took the reins from her could've gotten away with a Fear and Loathing joke.

And 90s cartoons were meant for kids and made adult references all the time Stahl; Animaniacs made a running gag out of saying dirty shit that would get them taken off the air (Every time Yakko says "Good night everybody")
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Mask_De_H wrote:Animaniacs made a running gag out of saying dirty shit that would get them taken off the air (Every time Yakko says "Good night everybody")
I lived for those moments.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

that must have been cut out over here, i don't remember that in the german broadcast . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

even in equestria girls are still mean to boys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mHafZOIfQM
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Tell me they did not . .
*checks*
Time-Code 4:24 - 4:40
Yes they did . . .

also, a surprisingly fitting and SWF oglaf today:
Last edited by Stahlseele on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

erik
King

Post by erik »

Is the last panel actually safe for work? (or was SWF not a typo of SFW and in fact meant as Single White Female?)
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

erik wrote:Is the last panel actually safe for work? (or was SWF not a typo of SFW and in fact meant as Single White Female?)
I think it's pants (same color as her blouse). Good luck explaining that to your boss, though.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Safe for work is kind of a misnomer anyway since it would be tough to splain any comic's relevance to my work.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

They did it again . .
hidden in the background of Pinkie Apple Pie:
That's a slender...
Last edited by Stahlseele on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: