Medical Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

The tip of yo dick is not an idea circular opening; it warps the stream like a shitty showerhead with a bunch of mineral buildup. Happens to errybody.

Try giving it just the littlest pinch at the top and bottom, such that it splays open, and that your pee might flow freely and without turbulence.

Or, hover-squat over the toilet, facing the ground, taking the opportunity to quietly reflect on a universe that lead you to become so closely acquainted with the tile floor.

best of luck with your future piss having~
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Is there anything other than ambient temperature that might cause a person to sweat a lot at particular times during the night?

This happens on and off to me, but lately, it's been happening about nightly. I'll wake up within one or two hours of going to sleep, and I'll be quite sweaty. Then, when I get up in the morning, everything is fine.

Occasionally I'll feel too warm under the covers, but it doesn't seem that this specifically would be the cause; I'll have the same amount of covers on when I wake up in the morning. Also, the room is going to be somewhat warmer in the morning than it would be at night.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

RobbyPants wrote:This happens on and off to me, but lately, it's been happening about nightly. I'll wake up within one or two hours of going to sleep.
I am not a doctor, but if the room temperature is otherwise comfortable, there are no changes in the covers, and it's happening at roughly the same point each night, my first guess would be that it's just your body's circadian rhythm and my advice would be merely to sleep with looser covers so that you can kick some off without waking up fully.

However, when I personally had a case of flu that was so bad it turned into pnuemonia and required a multi-night hospital stay, that was preceeded by two nights of inexplicable night sweats -- so you should probably check with an actual medical professional just to be sure.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I sleep extremely heavily. There have been cases where my cat would slowly and deliberately drag a claw across my arm to break skin (only enough blood to scab), and I slept through it. There have been severe thunderstorms, police sirens, and whatnot I don't wake to. There were times when the cat would meow loudly and bite my nose and chin (never quite hard enough to break skin) while the other cat, weighing 16 pounds, would jump onto my chest and knead and meow loudly. I sleep through all of that.

Is there a concern to be that deep of a sleeper? I still wake up on my own a minute or so before the alarm goes off, unless I went to bed too late; and in those cases I still get up, walk across the room, turn off the alarm, go back to bed, and remember not even an inkling of having done so.
Last edited by virgil on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

as long as you do not have to wake up easy for some reason, consider yourself lucky.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:This is kind of gross, but since this is the medical thread maybe I'll get a pass. Spoilering it anyway because I mention my dick and no one wants to hear about that (but it IS relevant to the question this time)
Why the hell does my urine stream go in like three different directions when I piss, and what can I do to stop it? Peeing while siting down is not an option as there isn't a way I can sit down without the seat/front side of the toilet pushing my dick down and pinching my urethra causing pain and preventing me from emptying my bladder fully (note that it doesn't hurt normally, only when I try to pee when my penis is bent).

I just want to pee somewhere that isn't a urinal without having to spend ten minutes cleaning up, because there is no way I can get three constantly moving liguid streams going in opposite directions to go into a normal toilet
Late to this, but if crouching is uncomfortable, you could try spreading your legs sideways, like you're halfway through a Van Damn split punch. Or bend one knee and stretch out the other leg.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

How many of the symptoms that present early during a stroke are going to persist? Is treatment of the underlying cause likely to restore any function at all, or is it a case of "what you see in the first few hours is what you get, treatment just prevents further damage?"
Last edited by DSMatticus on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by persist, but I know people who have had dreadful strokes that left them badly impaired and still made more-or-less full recoveries.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I guess I'm trying to ask how much function is likely to come back "on its own" once the underlying ischemia/hemorrhage/whatever is treated and the patient has had some time to rest. As in, what kind of difference you can expect between seven hours later and seven days later, long before long-term rehab is a factor.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

That depends on how bad the stroke and related complications were. A relatively mild stroke and the victim could be basically fine within a week.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

When someone has a stroke, there is an area that is super fucked and a much larger area that is potentially fucked. There is an area of brain where blood flow is impeded and function is impeded, but which with the return of blood flow will return to normal.

So basically there's an area where the cells actually die within about 6 minutes of the stroke, and we call that the ischemic core. And then there's an area where the cells are being damaged over time, but which can be saved - and we call that the ischemic penumbra. And the cells that have been damaged will heal over time if blood flow returns, and the cells that are dead will stay dead.

-Username17
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I would be interested in reading people's personal experiences with piezoelectric ultrasonic dental scalers, specifically models intended for home use in the ~200USD range.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Are there "standard" terms for different kinds of throat pain?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

If you suspect someone is poisoned, is it better to call 911 or Poison Control first?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I really, really hope this is a hypothetical. Even if the image of you typing a medical question into a computer while someone is turning blue in the background is kind of amusing.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Peter: Lois, go get the medical dictionary and look up "fork" and "lung. "
Lois: Why?
Peter: Time's a factor, Lois.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Prak wrote:I really, really hope this is a hypothetical. Even if the image of you typing a medical question into a computer while someone is turning blue in the background is kind of amusing.
It is, yeah.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

This is technically more fitness than medical/health, but it's all sort of in the same area. Every now and then I consider doing some kind of work-out/muscle-building thing, but ultimately decide I can't be fucked getting the equipment for it and I'm not going to a gym for this stuff.

But if I specifically just want to get to the end point of lifting and throwing bearspeople, what kind of things should I look at doing for work-out? As in, what parts of the body need strengthening when your end goal is "suplexing", and what are the best specific ways to strengthen these?

Like so

I assume you want a good grip with your fingers. I don't know how you strengthen those.

Presumably you need good arms, from the wrists all the way to the shoulders with no weak points in between? So... chin-ups/pull-ups, and push-ups, and lifting the single-hand weights sideways from your back and also upwards bent-arm when sitting?

Are the abdominals involved in that? Can you actually build back strength, is that a thing?

I guess legs are needed so you can push off the ground when you have your grip.

If we work out the necessary exercises, then I could at least do it bit-by-bit, then eventually be an ambassador for Suplex City.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

The majority of the work there is being done by the core (abs, back, etc.) and legs. When I played rugby the guys who got the work done were those with massive cores. Everyone wants the big pecs/biceps, but it's not as useful for the throwing people around as you'd expect.
So you probably want to concentrate on those areas if that's your specific desire. I'd be looking at exercises that do both those. Deadlifts come to mind.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I recommend building the right muscles by practicing what you'll be doing. You want to start out light so maybe hang out by a middle school and when it gets out try to suplex as many kids as you can. You will get a good cardio workout too by catching the little buggers. As you get stronger work your way up to assisted living places and eventually local hipster hangouts. Try to get in 20 suplexes a day.

* I have no background in physical training, but work by the philosophy of making things fun so that you stick with it. Ex: when dieting i keep eating chocolate and whatever else I want.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Oh for fucks sake.

JOIN A WRESTLING CLUB.

They exist. Oddly enough they teach you how to wrestle and in the process train your wrestling muscles. They might even teach you some god damn wrestling safety.

And in fact at basically no point should you ever be "you know I want to do a particularly advanced, dangerous and physically demanding martial arts move, only without actually training in that martial art with martial artists who know how to do that".

Hell you can probably even find bullshit fake wrestling clubs if you want to MOVE TO ALABAMA AND ALLOW THE TRANSFORMATION TO BECOME COMPLETE, I mean live near a sufficiently major population center big enough to have a minority community of WANNABE AMERICAN RED NECK HILLBILLIES USA WEEABOOS.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Fri May 20, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The only thing in this shithole of a town is karate. Like, the National Karate Association where you can rank from white to black in just a couple of years, so it's obviously super legit*. There's no wrestling club, no judo, no jujutsu. Trust me, if I lived in the city I'd just flat-out join the nearest BJJ dojo and have a great time.

As for those silly "safety" concerns, the worst that can happen is I ruin my lower back or tear something in a limb. In which case I have a proper way to stop playing Centrelink's games for the remaining months before I emigrate, and get access to good painkillers.

*Though from a trial session, they had partial-contact striking so it wasn't a complete waste, and taught "hitting the side of the neck" and "attack the plums", so there's clearly some level of relevance.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I live in the middle of goddamn nowhere and last time I looked I could easily find 8 different martial arts within 30 minutes drive of here.

Including Wing Chun Kung Fu and god damn Akido. AKIDO. I mean like a full on dojo with live in disciples and everything.

Where the hell do you live? An actual pit? Do you live in LITHGOW? (no wait, "the" actual "pit" has like 5 martial arts including at least 2 I've never heard of on the first page of a search)
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Fri May 20, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

A couple of hours South-East of Adelaide, sort of on the underside of the penis that points at Kangaroo Island. If I lived an hour or so North, I'd have access to Tang Soo Do, fucking Iaijutsu, and a "martial arts" centre of no specific name or style that totally isn't just someone's basement. Another hour-ish North of that and you are basically in the city and have around four non-denominational "martial arts" or "street defence" places, Judo, Jujutsu, boxing, something called Aiki Shuren, three Karate dojos, and some form of Kung Fu.

But here, in Senior Central, the place you go to die? Yeah, one of the high schools has weekly evening classes in a McDojo, and public transport is not actually a thing that exists. Again: I am super-excited about leaving the country.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Seniors?

That means TAI CHI.

You have no excuses. Tai Chi is awesome.