[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 49 - Siege of Sardath

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Track the creatures on to the forest.
Thaluikhain
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 49 - Siege of Sardath

Post by Thaluikhain »

I don't like any of those options, but ok, track creatures.
Dogopolis
Journeyman

Post by Dogopolis »

I really like Siege of Sardath, it's one of my favourites but it does have a lot of "fuck you you're dead" choices right at the beginning that will not come into play until the end of the book.

Example

Asking to see the potion seller's potions means we're already dead as it's the first stage of a neccessary iteration to refuse.
Last edited by Dogopolis on Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to settle straight down to sleep, as the creatures just seem to be trouble, and I fear that the fire will give us away to any predators and assassins looking for our hero.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Track.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You walk through the Forest for several hours, trying to follow a straight line to where you saw the creatures land. It is difficult to find your way in the dark without getting caught in a Giant Spider web, but you are used to the Forest and so make unfaltering progress. Some time in the middle of the night, when you estimate that you must be getting near, you hear a sound: two voices, talking in a language you have never heard before. You creep up close and hide behind a stand of young trees. In the darkness it is difficult to be sure but they seem to be the same sort of creature as the imposter who tried to kill you in Grummund. Beside them is a small mound, in which is set a huge, stone door, covered with lichen. They are trying to open it, but are not having much success. Will you try a surprise attack on them with bow or sword or wait to see what will happen?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to wait to see what will happen, as they could be unlocking a need to get item for our hero.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, wait and see. Maybe they'll manage to open the door for us.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

After a few moments they abandon whatever it was that they were doing and step back. Once of them holds up a small phial; when the other nods, he throws it at the door. There is a loud explosion and a cloud of smoke and you duck down to shield yourself from the blast. When you look up again, the smoke has cleared and you can that the door is completely untouched. The two black creatures, however, have been blown to pieces! You walk across to the mound and examine the door. It is just as it was when you saw it from a distance - cold, heavy stone covered with lichen - except now you can see something engraved on its surface. "Here within lie the remains of Khornus Whych, Seer and Visionary. Whosoever desecrates this tomb shall be haunted by my spirit and destroyed." This is quite a threat. Nevertheless, there must be something vital in this tomb, or your secret enemy wouldn't be so desperate for it. You decide that it is up to you to break into the tomb and get this thing before they do. If you think you might know the password and wish to try it, turn to 2. Otherwise, will you search for an opening mechanism or, if you have one, break down the door with your sword?
How nice of our enemies to not only lead us to what we were looking for, but actually taking the initiative to kill themselves off and saving us the effort!
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to search the opening mechanism, as I don't think we know the password for it.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Yes, I don't recall a password, so look for the mechanism.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Look for the mechanism.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You search the doorway very thoroughly, examining the edges, feeling for hinges and secret locks. Roll two dice. If the total is less than or equal to your SKILL, turn to 303. If the total is greater tan your SKILL, turn to 364.
Dice roll = 10 (Success).
You examine the door very carefully, feeling across its surface and round its edges. After a while, you wok out that it should slide to the left. When you try to move the door sideways, however, it won't budge. You search around again but are unable to find any way of opening it. Will you:

Strike it with your sword (if you have one)?
Try saying a password?
Give up?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to give up. Striking it with the sword is not going to end well, and Quincey Stridemoore does not have a password here.

I would like to make it a half vote if there is going to be a tie.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

If we give up, then we don't get the amulet. Try saying a password (I have no idea what we might say, but maybe we'll be given choices for passwords and that will suggest something).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, try password.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 225. If you are Unlucky, turn to 248.
Dice roll = 5 (Lucky).
Seemingly from nowhere, a name leaps into your mind: "Krystal Erlho" The gods must really be with you, for this is the name of the secret love of Khoru Wych...This is not the actual password, however, since there isn't one; it is but a key to a key. A voice emanates from the door - the seer speaking from ages past: "Krystal, my love, I prayed that one day you might come and join me. Now we shall be together for eternity. Give the Sign of Summoning, and enter." The voice is then silent. Will you:

Search for an opening mechanism?
Smash the door with your sword (if you have one)?
Give up?
Searching for mechanism leads to the same section we'd already been to before...
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Give up, as the place is decorated with bits of the last people trying to break in.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

We know from Liam that the Sign of Summoning is to rap on the crystal three times. How come there isn't an option for this? Will smashing on the door with the sword do that? It is really confusing.

Since that is apparently not the case, I vote to give up, since outright smashing is probably going to kill our hero.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Strike with sword.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I know we've made at least one wrong decision in this adventure already. but I don't want to give up and not get the amulet either.

So, strike it with our sword. If we die, at least we die quickly now rather than later because we don't have the amulet.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Strike with the sword, and if it asks how many times, say "three." Or if it asks "strike again?" say yes, twice.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Striking with sword wins narrowly after making a comeback!
The door reverberates with a dull thud but does not give; the stone is not even chipped. Will you:

Search for an opening mechanism?
Try saying a password?
Hit the door again?
Give up?
At least our sword isn't chipped from being used to hit stone either.

Well, it doesn't explicitly give us the choice to tap 2 more times, but we can hit it again (which obviously has to lead to a different section, while the other options lead to the same ones). Do we want to try that? (Yes, Beroli's vote is already counted for that.)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Hit it!
Queen of Swords
Prince

We didn't get killed, so hit it baby one more time.